Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was out yesterday in my 2011 PA14 and after several hours of normal trolling, found that I could not steer to starboard - only to port. Fortunately I was close to shore and could easily paddle in. When I got home I checked thing out and found no problem with the tension or extent of travel of the steering drum or rudder. The tubes that the rudder lines travel inside visually appeared to be intact and in good position. I went out again today and like yesterday, everything was OK for several hrs, then gradually things got tight and I had a heck of a time steering to starboard. I checked tension adjuster and that was fine. During my on - water troubleshooting, I discovered that the rudder travel is fine when drifting and that the problem only occurs when purposely steering to starboard while pedaling forward - a clue? The faster I go, the harder it is to steer. I tried retracting and re-deploying the rudder a few time with no effect. Wierd, and makes me reluctant to head very far offshore until I get this figured out. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats weird, is it only when your trolling? Maybe something to due with your fishing line.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nope. Same with both lines pulled in.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have noticed on all my Hobies, you have to have speed to maneuver... and starboard turning is a little more finicky.... what I do is a heavy lean to the direction I want to turn and it's usually a lot more responsive... just be careful in a Revo... I can get my PA up on one side and it'll turn on a dime...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since this is a 2011 Pro Angler, you must have the original/old style rudder control that is mounted on the seat.
As this control had several user complaints, Hobie offered a kit P/N 84506201 @ $140 to cure these issues.
Suggest considering upgrading your steering.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a new problem, so it should be wear-related rather than design-related. Further investigation in my garage shows that this seems to be related to the tension in the rudder retraction shock cord. Not sure why this should suddenly change, as everything looks fine. But the problem is reproduced by pulling on the rudder retraction cord just enough to put tension in the shock cord but not actually pull up the rudder at all.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim....have you removed the black cover over the rudder to inspect the rudder retract line?
Maybe it is binding with the turning disc when you rotate the rudder?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Doc, I checked and adjusted line slack under the rear steering drum cover, and inspected the lines and tube connections below deck. All that looks fine. I am at a loss to explain this weird but real problem. Again today I found movement of the rudder quite loose and easy when drifting freely on the water but unusually tight/difficult while underway at only 1.5-3.5 mph. I am wondering if there is some lubricant I can use inside the tubes that the control lines run through? Perhaps things just seized up over the winter and need some lubrication? Anybody ever do this?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have the rudder control that is located on the seat rail, I know that by lubricating the inside flat surfaces can improve the ease of operation.
The spectra rudder lines are inherently smooth, but I recently found the front spectra line under my Vantage seat was causing an annoying squeak.....I used a Filson canvas waterproofing wax that immediately stopped the squeak.....you could always "wax" the rudder lines and even go as far as dropping the rudder and lubrication the shaft with something like Evinrude marine waterproof grease just to be sure the rudder shaft is not a hidden problem......and inspect it for a burr or something that could make it bind up.......who knows??

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim...another thought....did the rudder problem crop up after you installed the down rigger on the R/H side of the seat?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, good thought Doc. The issue began after installing the downrigger base on the starboard gunwale just aft of the seat. Accidental binding of some line was my first consideration, but as mentioned, everything looks visually OK. The steering lines are a good 12" from the DR mount. The rudder retraction line and its shock-cord tension line are closer, but clear the new hardware by at least 6". Now that I think about it though, one consideration may be the internal floatation block that is factory installed under that gunwale - it may have moved a bit during the downrigger install and potentially crowd the rudder retraction line. Still not sure how partial tension in the retraction cord system could cause the rudder to be so difficult to move to starboard, but that is my observation. Unfortunately, I am back in the real world now and won't be back to my cottage to check this out for another 2 weeks.