Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just purchased the Power Pole Power Kit for my new Micro Power Pole.

My question is for Matt or anyone else in the know.....

There is little/no information on the charger and how to properly use it. Different chargers have different capabilities. Am I to assume that the charger provided in this kit has sensors and will not overcharge the battery? Also, should I leave the charger attached to the battery so that it will provide "maintance" charge if the battery is to sit unused for a period of time? Or, should I unplug the charger once the battery is charged?

Appreciate any information you can provide on this charger.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK.... here is another question.

After using the Micro for the first time yesterday, upon return, I plugged in the charger. After 12 hours of being on the charger, I went out this morning and the light indicator was still on yellow/orange. This would indicate that the charger was still charging the battery??? I unplugged the charger and re-plugged it into the electrical outlet. The charger indicator went green.

Why didn't the indicator light go to green?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I assume the charger has a "smart chip" that senses the state of the battery......it's possible the charger was in the "float charge mode" and close to being 100% charged, but not quite high enough to turn on the green light......When you unplugged and replugged in the charger, it started to charge at a higher rate, but the sense circuit said to the charger...."whoa/stop" my cells are topped off and no additional charge is needed....green light came on.
If you have a good digital volt/ohm meter, you can measure the voltage of the battery to see what it is......many fully charged 12 volt batteries will be around 12.6 V DC and up to 13.4 V DC when just taken off the charger......all depends on the charger circuity.

If this becomes a continual issue, I would ask for a replacement charger.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt got his reply from our fishing product manager Morgan Promnitz

12V Battery Charging Instructions: Plug the battery in to the battery
charger making sure the tab on the male pigtail aligns with the clip on the
female pigtail. Plug the battery charger in to an electrical outlet. If the light
on the charger turns red the battery is in need of charging and should remain
plugged in until the light turns green. A green light means the battery
is charged and the charger has switched to trickle charge. At this point it is
ready to be unplugged from the socket and used.

The battery should not be left for long periods of time without being charged. The user can store the battery plugged in to the charger on trickle charge or if they are concerned about possibility of electrical fire then plug it in a couple of times a month to make sure it does not drain down.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear the charger has the trickle/maintance charge feature.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The battery charger for the micro power pole battery is NOT lighting up at all while plugged in and battery connected. I have kept it off charger, as on the battery it states that it should be long term stored at 50%.
When i put the battery on the power pole system itself, the indicator says it has about 1 or 2 bars of power.
Do i need a new charger? Do they supply those? Buying another battery for 200 seems rough.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ForeverTrill wrote:
The battery charger for the micro power pole battery is NOT lighting up at all while plugged in and battery connected. I have kept it off charger, as on the battery it states that it should be long term stored at 50%.
When i put the battery on the power pole system itself, the indicator says it has about 1 or 2 bars of power.
Do i need a new charger? Do they supply those? Buying another battery for 200 seems rough.
Thanks

Call the support number for Powerpole. (813) 689-9932 They have fantastic support and will take care of you. :wink: I fish every weekend. After fishing, I unplug the batter from the unit and then put it on the charger the night before I go fishing. Usually takes about 30 minutes and I have a green light that it is charged. I put the batter on the unit before I get in the water and calibrate the spike. Been good for 2 years with zero issues. You might need to upgrade the main unit's software. Can be done with a wi-fi connection. Powerpole Support can help you in all these areas. The battery is definitely worth the $200 based on my experience.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks,
Yeah i got hooked up with their support. amazing service!