Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I LOOOOOVE my new PA-14 and want to get my 10 year old son a new Yak soooooo......
I am considering buying the new 2015 Outback for him to use. How does the Outback compare to the PA-14 in stability and maneuverability ? I have considered the Native Slayer Propel but to be honest.....I just have not seen the quality, attention to detail and accessory selection by other manufacturers like Hobie has. Yes....Hobie is EXSPENSIVE :o (reminds me of Harley Davidson) but I think you have to pay if you want the best. Not bashing other companies but Hobie seems to be a notch above the rest from what I have learned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The next most stable kayak after a PA is the outback. And now with the changes to vantage seating you can't go wrong.

I got my 9 year old a very used kayak but he is very jealous of my outback.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might want to buy him a Hobie Mirage Sport Kayak. It is 9'7" and has a capacity of 225. Much smaller for a small person. How large is your son? I was thinking a smaller person when you posted. Here is a web site about the craft.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/345 ... -2014.html

Just trying to help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An OB is going to be the next best choice besides a 12' PA for your son. After I bought a 14' PA (the 12' PA was not available then) we tried an OB, Sport, and Revo. The OB was the most stable out of the three mentioned, the Sport was too small (we are both over 6' tall), the Revo was fast but not as stable as the OB. We ended up getting a OB and I added the turbo fins and sailing rudder. The turbo fins woke that OB up! The OB is not as stable as a PA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Demo, demo, demo!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

He will probably have the most fun in a Sport given his size and strength. It is in many respects a scaled down Outback, and at 55 lbs. hull weight and with its Revo like 29.5" width, your son should have no trouble keeping up with you on the PA14.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

atavuss wrote:
An OB is going to be the next best choice besides a 12' PA for your son. After I bought a 14' PA (the 12' PA was not available then) we tried an OB, Sport, and Revo. The OB was the most stable out of the three mentioned, the Sport was too small (we are both over 6' tall), the Revo was fast but not as stable as the OB. We ended up getting a OB and I added the turbo fins and sailing rudder. The turbo fins woke that OB up! The OB is not as stable as a PA.

I know that the 2015 Outbacks will have the new Vantage chair and come standard now with the Turbo fins. The front deck has been refined (flatter for standing) so I think the OB will be the one to get for him. I will add the sailing rudder as well. This way I will have the best of both worlds (PA14 & OB) at my/our disposal. The only other boat I am considering is a Native Slayer Propel :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I considered the slayer but litetally walked into the yak shop looked at it and jumped on the Hobie Revo..... again. Slayer was huge and awkward to load by myself. I plan on getting the outback though. It seems Hobie made all the improvements to it that I wanted. I always felt the PA was too big for me but the outback on paper seems perfect. My back feels better already.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 13 y/o son is currently in a 2013 Revo 11 (regular rudder and fins), great boat that he can handle no problem. This is his forth kayak, I started him in paddle boats so he would learn the basic skills that he will need later, be it with a paddle or pedal kayak.

I'll probably move him into a 2015 Outback later in the year, but for now, the Revo is perfect...makes me look slow in a PA12 as he fly's by. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I briefly thought about the Revo but figured the Outback is far better in the long run for fishing. I am waiting until September so I can see the new changes Hobie has made for 2015. I want to compare the Slayer Propel to an Outback side by side as well :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

steelerfan88 wrote:
atavuss wrote:

I know that the 2015 Outbacks will have the new Vantage chair and come standard now with the Turbo fins. The front deck has been refined (flatter for standing) so I think the OB will be the one to get for him. I will add the sailing rudder as well. This way I will have the best of both worlds (PA14 & OB) at my/our disposal. The only other boat I am considering is a Native Slayer Propel :)

Most likely there will be so much demand for the 2015 OB's that you may not be able to find one until later this year or even possibly the first of next year. The first month's production of the new OB is already pre-sold. If you want one you may want to get to your dealer and put in a order for one.
Have you thought about looking for a good deal on a 2014 PA 12'?