Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Few days ago I noticed a crack near my seat on my 2012 PA. I contacted the Hobie dealer who advised me he will be taking pics and sending them to the Hobie warranty dept. Have any of you gone thru this. I am now hesitant to keep the PA because if repaired I wont feel the confidence on it I once had.

On another note how do you upload pics on this site?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is Matt's info on posting photos
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12574

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

^^^^ Thank you for the info on how to upload.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update on my issue.

Took my 2012 PA to the nearest dealer which is 100 miles away last month. After leaving the PA at the dealer shop it was found that there was a small leak from a small hole under the hull and the obvious stress crack that was on the right front corner of the seat by the drain channel. The dealer advised me that Hobie recommended that the Crack(s) and hole be repaired. I asked the dealer if he could have Hobie reconsider their request as I would hate for the repair to fail even worse while out on the water. The dealer didn't barge and said that was what Hobie recommended. I have been seeing on this forum how Hobie has practically a zero questions asked hull replacement if the hull fails during the warranty period. Does this mean I am stuck with both a grossly repaired and defective boat not to mention the loss in resale value. HOBIE??????????

I can assure if you took your automobile to the dealers shop because of a body defect or design flaw and they only caked on the bondo and not make it safe or look like new big complaints and problems would arise.

Help who else can I contact on this matter.....

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Very small crack above waterline. Welding is the call here for sure. Not a hull replacement. Weld area looks kinda large for the original issue, but sanded down a bit... I doubt anyone (a potential buyer) would even know its there.

What is the small the in the bottom about? No info / photo about that part here?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a crack in the exact same place on the opposite side of the seat on my 2010. The crack I had was a good bit larger than yours. Did you do the repair, it looks good from what I can tell. I have also read here or saw a youtube video about placing additional foam blocks under the seating area to provide for additional support. I plan to do this with my warranty hull which is a 2012.

I need to jack your thread for a moment, sorry.
My local dealer has been fantastic about helping me. I paid for a pro-rated warranty replacement and paid and additional fee to have the warranty hull shipped out asap rather than waiting until the next regular shipment bound for my dealer.
My question is how long does it take for the warranty hull to arrive at my dealer in Alabama? It has been over a week since I paid for the delivery service and it seems that all Hobie will confirm is that my new hull is on a truck "somewhere" between there and my dealer. I'm normally not antsy like this but I have a tournament in Louisiana this Saturday and was planning to leave Thursday morning for pre-fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Admin

brianBFD wrote:
My question is how long does it take for the warranty hull to arrive at my dealer in Alabama? It has been over a week since I paid for the delivery service and it seems that all Hobie will confirm is that my new hull is on a truck "somewhere" between there and my dealer.

Just a guess, but LTL truck freight should take about 5 (business) days max to Alabama?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
brianBFD wrote:
My question is how long does it take for the warranty hull to arrive at my dealer in Alabama? It has been over a week since I paid for the delivery service and it seems that all Hobie will confirm is that my new hull is on a truck "somewhere" between there and my dealer.

Just a guess, but LTL truck freight should take about 5 (business) days max to Alabama?

I wish that were the case, I'd already have it now. I decided after posting to call Hobie customer service and inquire. Not only was I told it hadn't shipped yet, but they had no idea when it would ship. This really sucks because I was suppose to fish the Fall N Tide tournament in Venice, LA this weekend. To make matters worse I'm the president of my local kayak fishing club and I challenged the president of Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club to a special tournament challenge between club presidents. Not sure what to do now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

So, I'm told it is shipping Thursday. Yeah... boats don't ship same day as orders are placed. There is a rather large queue of orders already being processed. Misunderstanding by the dealer I guess. Fyi... Our production is now sold out into March 2015, so you can imagine the amount of product we are trying to get out the door. Sorry about that.

Dealer demo maybe?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
So, I'm told it is shipping Thursday. Yeah... boats don't ship same day as orders are placed. There is a rather large queue of orders already being processed. Misunderstanding by the dealer I guess. Fyi... Our production is now sold out into March 2015, so you can imagine the amount of product we are trying to get out the door. Sorry about that.

Dealer demo maybe?

I really wish I could have been told this over the phone, it would have relieved a lot of angst. As stated earlier I was not led to believe anything one way or another by the dealer. He has been nothing short of stellar. The misunderstanding is most likely on my part.
I'm really glad that your business it thriving. It's always good see American companies growing. Thank you very much for following up on this and passing on the information.