Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Searched youtube but found no owner reviews of these models. I previously owned a 2011 Revo 11 and 2012 Outback which I sold both to get a 2013 PA14. The PA14 is luxury on the water but a real pain in the rear to transport/handle on land.

I'm interested in personal opinions from owners of 2015 Outback & Revo owners. If you have experience with a 2013+ PA a comparison would be great; seat comfort wise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have both a 2013 PA 14 and a 2015 Outback. Love them both. The PA seat is more comfortable than the CT Vantage seat on the Outback, but is a major step up from the 2014 and older Outback seat. The CT seat does not recline as far as the PA seat and it does not have the arm rests either. It is a totally dry ride even in swells and chop. The PA is much easier to stand in especially using the arm rests to get up and sit down.

I use my PA more than the Outback right now since it is lobster season here in California and I can haul more gear with it, but I have fished it quite a few times and it is much lighter and easier to load on a rack than the PA. I would compare the two boats to having a full size pickup truck (PA) and Toyota Tacoma (Outback). In fact, I transport both boats with my fullsize GMC with a Thule Xporter rack and I also have a Tacoma that I can use for either but only one at a time. The Outback is easier to load but only because of the weight. I really like the skids on the rear of the PA for rack loading, those make it easy load since the skids keep the rear of the boat in place when lifting the bow up on the rack or even onto the tailgate and protect it from rash. With the outback, I need to put down a piece of carpet under the stern to not tear it up the on concrete boat ramps. Also, the rear handle on the outback is under the rudder when stowed, so you kind of have to deal with the rudder when using the stern handle.

The Glide Drive is Kicka$$ though. Very smooth and I use it on whichever boat I have in the water and changed out the ST fins for Turbo fins right off the bat when I got my Outback in early September.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the comparison. I may do the same, augment my PA14 with an Outback. I'd use the Outback where I can't take a trailer (used to haul the PA).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw one of the new 2015 Outbacks a couple of weekends back at a group saltwater fishing event. Looked very nice. I did not get to sit in the seat as the owner was using it as a lawn chair and would not let me sit in it. I have been considering the Outback as the next purchase to supplement the 2013 PA for a lot of the same reasons missiletm stated. Have yet to try the new Mirage drive. I'll bet it's a lot smoother with the bearings!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I demo'd the '15 Outback and ended up buying one. The seat was very comfortable and after a few tries was able to adjust the seat without too much fuss, but it's no where as easy to adjust as the PA14. The new pedals, well I didn't really notice a difference but it was only a demo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two trips in on my '15 Outback, one on moving water (sacramento river) and a windy day on flatwater (shasta lake)....i'm very impressed with the improvements to the Mirage Drive, much smoother and more efficient. Love the new seat, layout is just right, i honestly can't think of anything else this yak needs.