Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Large Rudder Protector
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok here it is, fresh out of the R&D and Product testing department:
This is my version of the large rudder protector for the PA-12; it has not been tested on a PA-14 so I don’t know how it will work on a PA-14..
I just returned from 7 day fishing trip in Mexico so I had a chance to give it a good test.
This protector is mainly for hard surfaces when loading and unloading my PA-12 kayak on the rack on top of my car or when the PA is on the cart with the stern down during washing. When I tried it in sand/gravel it worked, but it did dig into the sand/gravel slightly and made it a little harder to drag the kayak. I typically don’t drag my yak very far in the sand/gravel, just enough to get the cart under it.
I peddled 15 miles one day with the protector in its protection position and it did not seem to create a lot of drag. The bottom of the protector is only slightly in the water depending on how much weight you have in the back of our PA. I now peddle with it in place all the time. If you don’t want it creating drag you can turn it upside down and put it back in place (see photo) or simply remove it and place it in the back of the yak or in your car. I find that I want it with me because I never know if I will be landing somewhere while I’m on the water
The protector fits tight between the rear handle and the back of the PA, so there is no need to strap it in place but I guess one could put a bungee or leash on it just in case. I even leave it in place when traveling and in storage so it is always ready to use.
I used 2” PVC fittings and the total cost is around 10 to 12 dollars. If you do not use 2” PVC it will not fit tight and you may not get the right projection at the bottom to protect the rudder.
I hope this is useful info for those with the larger rudder on PA’s. Suggestions or modifications are welcome.

[/url][/img]Image[img][URL=http://s42.photobucket.com/user/svendaawg/media/DSCN2099_zps99685fac.jpg.html][IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/svendaawg/DSCN2099_zps99685fac.jpg[/img]ImageImageImageImageImage[/img]

Link to Video showing how to install http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/e30 ... yuufbl.mp4

Last edited by svendawg on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kudos for a great idea. I have been thinking about the larger rudder. Clean and simple idea...... Genius!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very nice Svendog!
Been thinking about a fix for this on my new PA12.
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brilliant idea Svendawg!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had some questions about installation of the protector. I posted the link to a video on the original post. I hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very cool.