Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It seems like there have seen more leak reports on this forum over the past few months than over the previous few years. Maybe our fleet is just getting older, but coincidentally, we seem to have a lot of forum members who are now using 3+" longitudinal PVC tubes that run down the scupper line on trailers or related storage / transport setups. I am wondering if the PVC could be imparting new stresses down the hull that are causing these leaks?

For those of you who have developed hull leaks: Do you keep your PA resting on PVC tubes for storage or trailer transport? If so, for how long have you been doing this, and where exactly did your leak develop? My story is that I developed a leak at the outer hull at the rear of the Mirage Drive well (not directly in line with the PVC tubes) after storing and transporting on a trailer with PVC bunks for about 2 yrs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim_MI.....I just don't see how storing a PA on 3" OD PVC pipes can cause any undue stress on the hull......after all, the PVC pipes/tubes act as "bunks" to support the hull lengthwise.....it's no different from boat trailers with "bunk boards".....in both cases, the PVC pipes and bunk boards "sag" to conform to the shape of the hull resting on them.
My 2013 PA-14, now 17 months old has been stored 100% on my Hobie Trailex trailer I modified with 3" OD PVC pipes......and prior to that, my 2010 Outback (purchased in 2009) was stored and trailed the same way for almost 3 years without any leaks or issues.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Jim_MI.....I just don't see how storing a PA on 3" OD PVC pipes can cause any undue stress on the hull......after all, the PVC pipes/tubes act as "bunks" to support the hull lengthwise.....it's no different from boat trailers with "bunk boards".....in both cases, the PVC pipes and bunk boards "sag" to conform to the shape of the hull resting on them.

Doc - My thought is that the scupper tubes are directly in contact with the PVC, and are the structural supports between outer hull and deck. Seems to me that bouncing around on a moving trailer will translate more vertical stress to these relatively rigid areas than to the other more flexible areas along the PVC that the outer hull rests upon. Just a thought, inspired by: 1) more forum members using the PVC bunks now; 2) the rising frequency of posts related to hull leaks; 3) the fact that these leaks seem to be around the scuppers and other vertical connection points between the hull and the deck. Are these observations coincidental or causally related?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim...understand your point now, but my 2013 PA-14 has the scupper reinforcing tubes recessed in about 1/2" from the top and bottom.......my old 2010 Outback did not have these tubes as the newer Outbacks do today.

I believe Hobie added the reinforcing pipes to strengthen the scupper tubes, when using a Hobie cart, that is inserted inside the scuppers for transport.
I can see how the scuppers could get damaged if the cart was no inserted/aligned so it was not at an angle that could place undue stress on the wall of the scupper tube.
With the "scupper tube liner" used today, the damage would surely go away.

Hobie has been really up front on leak issues and from what I have read, the actual number of leakers is very small.....to their credit, they pay attention to field feedback and take action to quickly remedy problems. That is a major reason I have bought three Mirage drive kayaks.....My son has a 2010 Outback with zero issues....it was a birthday gift to him.
He carries his Outback, "cockpit up" on a Yakima roof rack with Mako saddles....it works well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I store both my PAs on a trailer that utilizes the PVC tubing. I've hauled the trailer down dirt roads that were rough enough to cause the tie down straps to come loose. That was going slow and trying to be careful. Never had an issue with leakage or any sign of stress due to the PVC against the hulls. I do routinely take the PAs off the trailer for cleaning and inspection. It would seem to me that any scupper hole leakage or in that area would be caused by stress related to a cart or something through the scupper holes under load versus the PA being tied down flush against the PVC piping. Just my thoughts.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if this helps. I trailer my Pro Angler 14 on a trailer while they rest on the 3 inch PVC pipes. I do make certain that I loosen the tie downs after returning home so it is stored without undue pressure when it is not being used between trips. Easy thing to do, can't hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stealth wrote:
Not sure if this helps. I trailer my Pro Angler 14 on a trailer while they rest on the 3 inch PVC pipes. I do make certain that I loosen the tie downs after returning home so it is stored without undue pressure when it is not being used between trips. Easy thing to do, can't hurt.

I'll piggyback on the loosening of the tie down straps. When at home the PAs have no side straps on them and the bow straps are loose. As Stealth stated...no undue stress there. I use 3 inch PVC as well. Happy Holidays all! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ditto on the two previous posts. My two PA's never leave the trailer (on 2" PVC pipes) unless they are fishing. In addition to loosening the straps at home, I also make sure the rear tiedown is across the bungi hooks where the boat has some reinforcement. Just make sure you don't over tighten the straps.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback