Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to buy a Pro Angler 2015 and wondering how well this will work,
side mounting a Minn Kota 55lb. Riptide by taking aluminum stock ( 4" angle x 3/8" or 1/4" and through bolting it to the Hobie flat H-rail clamps.
Then clamping to the H-rail behind the seat. then clamping the motor to the mount.
I can one handed tilt motor at my starboard side.
I would shorten the shaft on the trolling motor.
Concerns,
1. Would this mount be strong enough?
2. Side mounting, tracking issue? Stability issue? Motor hanging off the side. Turning issue, would use rudder control.
pros and cons, new to kayaking. Any info would be helpful
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Save your time and effort and just get this ......... http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/ka ... mount.html ......... Tell them it's for a pro angler ........ Works great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paulm:
I've used island hoppers stuff and was happy with it. You might want do do a search on this forum old posts about kayak motor mounts and trolling motors, a lot of good ideas out there. One thing you need to investigate is if a big 55lb trolling motor on a pa is worth the extra expense. Most seem to be favoring the 30lb or less trolling motors. From what I gather, the pitch of the prop determines your speed not so much the hp of the motor on small kayaks. Basically a 55lb motor is designed to pull a 16-20 ft powerboat (3000 lbs). Do the research yourself, but you may find a 55lb motor won't make the pa any faster but uses up your battery twice as fast. The prop pitch is everything on these kind of motors as far as speed goes, and you will likely find through your research that nobody makes higher pitch props for super light boats like kayaks. I'm sure others will chime in here with better advice, but I suspect you will find by researching that the bigger motors don't go any faster than the smaller ones, but do burn up your battery way faster.
Hope this helps
Bob