Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie outback sail kit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am getting an Outback 2015. I am interested in adding the sail kit. Has anyone used this sail in the ocean. How hard is it mount while in the boat fishing. How hard to take out of mast in water. Where would you store sail while in the water and not being used? Would it be practical for fishing. Any advice and comments would be helpful. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's actually quite practical for fishing as it can greatly extend your fishing range and travel speed.

If you get it, I'd recommend the Hobie sail furling kit (no need to remove the mast, just the furl the sail and start fishing). I'd also recommend a pair of Hobie Sidekicks to allow you a greater margin of safety against capsize when sailing.

You may find that you end up enjoying the sailing as much as the fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Be careful! I used to sail my Outback all the time- back when I considered myself a fisherman. I had to bite the bullet and step up to an Island.... Now I call myself a sailor!

Its not hard at all to take the sail off and on (depends on your furling device). I made my own out of PVC, Not sure how difficult it would be with the Hobie version. You can strap it on the side with the paddle holder.

Unless I am in 2-3ft rollers/waves launching from the beach, I never bothered to remove the sail. Furled up- I dont find that it gets in the way. I found it more of a pain stored on the side.

Im sure others will chime in

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
............. I'd also recommend a pair of Hobie Sidekicks to allow you a greater margin of safety against capsize when sailing.

Tom...would you recommend the Sidekicks for a PA 14?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Tom...would you recommend the Sidekicks for a PA 14?

SideKick was designed years before there was a PA... Not designed for use on them for a couple of reasons. The deck is too wide for the mounting tube (you could make an extension I think). The PAs are also pretty stable without them. May not reach down and touch the water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, I see no need for them on a PA14 even with the sail. I have sailed my PA14 and I seriously doubt you'd have any trouble sailing it without the sidekicks. Use common sense as far as wind speed and learn the ropes insofar as to how to quickly depower the sail and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The one time I removed my sail from my PA on the water because of to much wind when I tried to roll sail around mast after breaking mast down it slid out and went to the bottom. Lucky I had mask and fins and was only in about 30' of water and had anchor deployed quickly. It still took me 20 minutes to find mast. Now I just wrap a bungee around sail works fine. Mast is slightly bent from a rough surf mishap so can't add furling kit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Windpaddle is a really great sail ........ It's round and has at least the same sail space but is lower so you have less tendency to tip over and is much easier to store and let down ......... The Hobie sail is built to spill most of the wind when you get a good wind ........ A few guys on the md kayak fishing board have the and love them.