Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently spent over a month deciding between a Pro Angler or a Predator XL Minn Kota. I was surprised to find there is little to no comparisons on line between the two. I just joined the Hobie forum, so obviously I chose Hobie. Has anyone had any experience with comparing the two? I guess I'm just looking for confirmation in my own mind that I made the right choice. Some of the deciding factors came down fitted weight, room to move, rod storage, not needing to register the PA, and figuring out there really is no such thing as "hands free" fishing in a Kayak. Whether you are steering with your feet while controlling a throttle knob, or peddling while adjusting a rudder control with your hand, you still have to control the kayak while fishing. I'm 6'2", 240 lbs. so I felt like the Hobie had more room to move around. It looks like your pretty much cradled in a tight cockpit with the Predator. Both have what are touted as comfortable seats, but it looks like the Hobie wins there too. The vantage seat just looks awesome. After putting in a 24 series trolling motor battery and a 24-30 lb. motor console with sonar battery, the Predator is pushing 175 lbs. and that's without a single rod on board.

I know somebody is to ask why I didn't get a PA14 if room was an issue. From what it sounds like here on the forums, most would rather have a PA14. I would say the same thing except I'll be using the PA12 for small reservoirs. I have no need to travel long distances and your only losing one inch from the seat to the firewall and two inches in width on the PA12. The rest is lost in the front storage and rear area. I see guys loading their boats with everything but the kitchen sink. I don't need all that for where I'm going to use it. The need to make a tighter turn was key in my choice between the PA12 and 14. I don't mean to change the topic, I guess in some ways I'm trying to convince myself that I made the right choice there too.

It's tough when forking out that kind of cash for a sport/hobby and you'd like to think you made the right choice. I wish I could have tested out both PA's and the XL, but that wasn't an option where I live. I'm really looking forward to getting my PA12 out on the water. Just wondering why there hasn't been anything out there comparing the PA and the XL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have not tested the XL but the predators are sick boats. For me what I liked most about the hobie was the seat and obviously the mirage drive. I didn't like the idea of the native boats or predator xl where I have one static depth that propulsion system can run at. Now, the predator and the native slayer propel are both much easier to paddle I am sure. However, Paddling is dead to me, lol. I didn't buy a boat with a drive system for ease of paddling. For me fishing mostly shallower waters for inshore species I need the ability to go shallow, not necessarily because I fish in super shallow water but because I might have to cross shallow water to get where I am going. With my 2015 PA 14 I skeeter across 10" of water with a very tight flutter stroke at a pretty good clip. The other thing is that the mirage drive is way tougher than I initially thought. I have whacked all sorts of submarine obstacles and the bottom many times already and I nervously removed mirage drive and it's totally unscathed (knock on wood). If I hit the the bottom with that fancy trolling motor I would cringe. Atleast the mirage drive is fully serviceable. Plus, I don't have to take a huge deep cycle battery with me. These tanks are heavy enough, I don't need all that. Additionally, for me a big selling point was the fact that Hobie has been making the drive system for a while now. It has refinement to it, it's proven. I don't know if any of those things help you, but I would take my PA over any other. The only boat I ever look at want badly is a 2015 outback. I demoed it and it was SWEEEEEET. I just loved the room te PA has, the seat, the stability. Hobie just really thought about nearly everything for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, good info. I hadn't thought about the flutter kick in shallow water. That's a plus for the PA. The Hobie is definitely a proven platform. Another reason I chose the PA. Something I did notice at a sporting good store was plastic thickness. I can't say that I saw a PA or an XL in person, but I did look at and old town kayak and a Hobie (Outback maybe). I did take note that the plastic used on the Hobie felt thicker. I don't know if it's the same on the PA and XL, but that thought was running through my mind when I made my final decision. PA is getting delivered tomorrow hopefully!!! Can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the predator 13 and put a trolling motor on and ended up with water from front to back then i heard about the predator XL and swore i had to have it. I got the PA 12 sept. 2014 and just sold it to upgrade for the 2014 PA 14. I just went to the garden state saltwater expo here in jersey and finally saw the XL in person but i'm not liking it as much as i thought i would. It seems big and bulky yet little room because of the huge pod. You made the right choice the hobie has crazy room, plenty of storage, the best seat ever, the mirage drive is so nice and it moves so no heavy battery needed. Now another yak i wanted to see was the WS ATAK and this kayak is really nice and they will soon have a motor that fits in the small pod infront, it has a nice open deck but they want $1800 for a paddle yak thats not far from a hobie so why would anyone pay that.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For anyone who is deciding between a PA and the Predator XL, here is a link for a nice "on the water" look at the Predator XL. Tony from VentureTube gives a good look at the Predator XL, along with a few other kayaks, including the PA17. His review has put to rest any doubts I had in picking the PA12 over the Predator XL. I think the vibration would drive me nuts and the overall performance just looks clumsy. I went with the PA12 mainly for its tight turning radius and I'm sure glad I did after seeing this. Love my Hobie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8TTHfm9O-g