Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I recently installed a Power Pole mounting bracket and kit on my 2015 PA14. I was concerned as there is a "large" gap between the kayak and the mounting plate which could easy have water enter under the plate and into the rudder tuning area (assuming water washes over this area). Is this intentional and is it okay? I think I followed the instructions correctly and removing the black rudder tension plate/cover.

I have some pics but don't have them uploaded to a site for posting. Hopefully the explanation above was enough.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The pics are included below:

A standard sized pencil is included for gap size reference:

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Boats vary and the plate is universal to the PA17, 14 and 12. In a home I would suggest painters putty for cosmetic perfection, but here I would just use it as is.

The rudder drum area is not sealed with the standard cover plate anyway, so harm at all.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

....... What can I say ......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The gap shown in the photo "is no more worse" than my 2013 PA-14.......if you lay a straight edge across the back of any PA-14, they will all have a gap of some amount.
As Matt noted, the steering drum area is not sealed and is "open" where the rudder up/down line is fed through. Any water entering this cavity drains out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I plan on using my new to me, PA 14 beyond the breakers as well as on sheltered water. I was also VERY concerned with the larger gap of the Power Pole cover as compared to the OEM rudder cover plate. So, I just kept the OEM rudder plate installed and substituted longer screws for the two forward screws (about a quarter of an inch) fastening both the rudder cover and Power Pole mounting plate above it at the same time.

It seemed a simple straightforward approach to the concern about the larger gap as described above. I see no downside of fastening the Power Pole cover this way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Atango wrote:
I plan on using my new to me, PA 14 beyond the breakers as well as on sheltered water. I was also VERY concerned with the larger gap of the Power Pole cover as compared to the OEM rudder cover plate. So, I just kept the OEM rudder plate installed and substituted longer screws for the two forward screws (about a quarter of an inch) fastening both the rudder cover and Power Pole mounting plate above it at the same time.

It seemed a simple straightforward approach to the concern about the larger gap as described above. I see no downside of fastening the Power Pole cover this way.

Thanks. I am now using this approach. Good to know from the other posts that water entering the area is fine too. I'm new to kayaking and still not sure where water is entering and leaving.