Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Latest is final assembly in June/July and shipping early July... Hoping mid-late July here by that info.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased an XL when I purchased the 17t last winter. The delays have made it necessary to buy a "hold me over" till they actually become available. I will use ont for bait and one for catch. I purchased the Hobie livewell. I am very disappointed as it is utter junk. I cannot pedal fast enough to prime the pump, I filled it up with a bowl and then turned on the pump and still will not prime. It will drain out empty but not prime. I have a 80 pound thrust motor on the front and wide open it still will not prime.

Yes i took the plug off the outlet and yes i have the pickup in the correct orientation.

I sure hope the XL can suck water out of the lake into the well and not just suck LOL...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Normally pedaling a bit works easily to prime them.

The pump is the same on the XL... Sorry, a few basic questions: You have the intake sticking out the bottom into the water flow? Facing forward? The kit comes with a longer tube for PAs.

You can test to confirm a few things:

Place the tank directly into the water, turn on and submerge to get water forced up into the motor. Does it continue to draw once primed? Possibly the electric connection are reversed and pumping out instead of in (our mistake here if that is the case). The impeller can get a weed stuck in it and stop turning.

You can partially fill as described above, cap the outflow. When ready uncap and as it drains a bit it is primed and start the motor. Use a bucket to pour water in the tank to prime... just a few ideas.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,
Couple more questions:

1. On the XL, am I to understand that once the tank is at the level you want to keep it at, you can shut off the pump and cap the overflow and the water will remain in the tank and not drain out....then cutting on the pump again it should prime itself and pump freshwater in again until it starts to drain from the overflow once uncapped?
2. If I buy or catch live bait and pour the bait in the live well and fill it with the remaining water from my bait bucket, can I turn on the pump going down the road to recirculate and keep bait fresh until I get to the water?

Thanks

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

There is no re-circulation function. It needs water coming into the intake to pump.

You can cap the intake tube to keep water in at the level desired with the pump off. Removing the cap allows water to flow out of the intake which primes the pump.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
There is no re-circulation function. It needs water coming into the intake to pump.

You can cap the intake tube to keep water in at the level desired with the pump off. Removing the cap allows water to flow out of the intake which primes the pump.

Thanks Matt....so if I dump 5 gallons of water with minnows into the XL bait tank before launching, the water will run out the intake of the pump unless I have it capped? That cap is on the inside of the tank at the pump or at the bottom of the intake that goes thru the scupper?? I thought in the new tank, I could set the level on the out take side according to how much water I wanted to keep in the tank itself and this new tank would only pump water in and not allow the water to back drain out of the pump....

I understand it's not a re-circulator but if I don't won't to leave the pump running, I have to cap the intake every time to prevent water from draining back out????

So other than it's size, what's the difference in the old tank and the new XL? What's making it better?

Sorry for all the questions but want to make sure I understand what this tank will do and not do.

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Leave the pump on. No reason to turn it off. Cap if you turn it off and want water in the tank.

The leveler is a way to hold a set amount... while the pump is running. Its an over flow adjustment. Water will rise to the level you set and then excess spills out the outflow tube.

Beyond that... Larger, dividers keep bait from catching against pump and outflow tubes, reed switch.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is why I just built my own :)

But in all seriousness, the XL looks sick. I like the idea of the divider and waterorood switch. However, for me fishing in saltwater, not once EVER have I felt compelled to turn the pump off. The whole idea of having a raw watet system is to constantly be pumping new water in. I have never had any battery issues whatsoever with my 6v. All I do is dump my baits into the tank from a 5gal bucket and let the water drain into the pump. Turn it on, and about a minute later I am primed and pumping while the boat is just sitting there. I used all Hobie parts to build my tank, no issues with priming. If I pedal forward at a decent clip it will prime from dry almost immediately. I didn't put a switch either, just te Hobie waterproof connectors. If I need to turn it on, just connect it. No need for a switch IMO, just something else that can be destroyed by saltwater.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Will be paying for mine on Saturday even though I'll have to wait for it to come in. Looking forward to using the new XL livewell! :mrgreen:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas. I did use the long tube supplied for the intake tube. I filled the livewell with a bucket (bowl) as mentioned in original post. I removed the plug and as the water was draining I turned the pump on and could hear the pump running but no prime and no water into the livewell (wasn't sucking it out either while running). Also I have a Minn Kota 24 volt 80 lb thrust motor on the front, when set to 10 or wide open throttle in a straight line it still is not enough to prime the pump.

I will try the suggested forced submersion of the livewell into the lake to put the pump under the surface water level and see if that will get it to pump water rather than air. Based on your explanation, if this does not work I will need to cancel my order for the XL as it will not work with the 17T if it indeed works the same as the one I have just purchased.

I have invested over $21,000.00 (please don't tell my wife) in accessories (including the kayak) thus far and was looking forward to a quality "plug and play" live well without custom building it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Has to be a problem with the pump. The product works as designed. Don't give up!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will update when i get back to the lake and livewell. hope it is a quick fix... :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Matt, still on track for XL livewell end of June or first of July??

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Mid July arrival here I believe.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mid July just passed, what is the latest update delay time?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next