Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had the original live well for my 2013 PA12. Ordered the Livewell XL from my dealer last year when it was announced; my dealer called me and I picked it up yesterday. I like the white hatch... And like having a white car, the temp should be cooler inside. I fish in freshwater lakes in NJ, and the water temp in the summer approaches 80 degrees, so even though the livewell recirculates, the sun beating down in the middle of the day is problematic. The white hatch Vs a black hatch should make enough of a difference to keep shiners and herring alive when used as a bait well.... Or maybe even Trout when used as a Live well.
Having two capacity levels (6 or 11 gallons) is a great feature, and the bigger hatch and reshaping of the livewell for the PA rear deck makes it easier to get a bigger net inside.
I only received one set of hardware to mount the two additional rod holders. Considering the price, how can Hobie (quality control) overlook something like a few bolts, nuts and washers?? My local Lowes had the necessary stainless 10-24 x3/4" bolts and nuts and washers, but customers shouldn't have to buy them. And it wouldn't be a bad idea for the guy at Hobie who reviews instruction manuals to review this one again.
The pump and battery are the same as the smaller version, and they worked well, so the XL should be the same. You should be able to run the pump virtually all day.
In my humble opinion, Hobie should provide a back flow valve so you don't have to mess around trying to fit the flexible rubber cap on the flexible pump hose that barely sticks out far enough into the tank. (Hey Matt, how about seeing about making that happen?)
All in all, it's a great addition to a PA, and big enough to use as a daily ice chest instead of a livewell too. But, considering the length of time it took from announcement to deliveries, and the cost, more could have been done to make it even better than it is.

"A wet bird never flies at night"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:07 am 
Site Admin

NINCO1 wrote:
I only received one set of hardware to mount the two additional rod holders. Considering the price, how can Hobie (quality control) overlook something like a few bolts, nuts and washers?? My local Lowes had the necessary stainless 10-24 x3/4" bolts and nuts and washers, but customers shouldn't have to buy them. And it wouldn't be a bad idea for the guy at Hobie who reviews instruction manuals to review this one again.

Thanks for the feedback! This hardware issue has been corrected. Only the first batch was missing hardware due to an error in the engineering drawing. Engineering is also reviewing the instructions. I'm sure they are aware of the back flow issue. Not sure why it is not included, but will ask.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt... good to know, (although too late for me) that the hardware has been corrected & the manual is being looked at.
I (for one) certainly appreciate any info about the back flow issue that Hobie comes up with. When you ask, tell management that there's some loyal Hobie customers who would appreciate "a hand" with this issue, in the name of good customer service.

"A wet bird never flies at night"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NINCO1 wrote:
Thanks Matt... good to know, (although too late for me) that the hardware has been corrected & the manual is being looked at.
I (for one) certainly appreciate any info about the back flow issue that Hobie comes up with. When you ask, tell management that there's some loyal Hobie customers who would appreciate "a hand" with this issue, in the name of good customer service.

X2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NINCO1 wrote:

X3

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

this is a bit off topic but i cant find a good answer in the search, i have a 2015 TI and would like to know if either the new or old live wells will fit without modification?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
NINCO1 wrote:

X3

Matt,
Can you check with your engineers and see if the following would work as far as the back flow issue or the need to constantly prime if the tank pump were to be shut for a few minutes as well as the tank draining if the pump is turned off

On the intake tube from the end of the black intake(Hobie supplied).....if you were to place a Raritan 3/4" non-return inline check (that is used in boating to prevent against loss of prime on pumps in the boating industry) from that black intake piece up to the black connector, would that prevent the tank from having to be re-primed by moving and prevent the water in the tank from draining back out of the intake tube. The clear tubing would be connected to the intake, the in-line check and then to the connector on the tank. I realize that you must still keep the clear tube at the correct and recommended length below the scupper line. IN other words, the intake tube would have three pieces connected by way of the clear tubing: 1. the black intake, 2. the in-line check, a small section of clear tubing and then the connector that locks into the bottom of the tank.

Just trying to look at possibilities if someone decides not to run pump 100% of the time...especially if weather is not that hot.

Thanks for all you do!!!

I would post pictures of the in-line check but I don't see an option to attach photo on the menu.!!

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All,

Luv2fishnpaddle has indicated that the check valve he installed did not work as expected and he didn't want everyone rushing out to purchase the check valve only to have issues. It's still a work in-progress, so I have edited this post since I can't delete it. Tight lines! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1. Removable Tank Partition?
2. Intake tube adjustment.
3. Mystery black knob.
4. Installation kit missing two sets of screws and bolts
5. Check valve update?

1. The advertising shows something called a "Removable Tank Partition" http://www.hobiecat.com/accessories/livewell-xl/ but this was not in product I received. Does anyone know if this is an optional extra? If so, do I need it?

2. I use the LiveWell XL on a PA 14 2015. The length of the intake tube is perfect. Just had to adjust it to point straight ahead. Once I did that it primes fine.

3.At the bottom of the tank, on the front under the battery area, there is a black knob. This goes to a small insert in the tank. It isn't mentioned in the instructions. Does anyone know purpose this serves?

4. The diagram for installation shows two extra rod holders, which each require two sets of screws and nuts. But the kit only included one set for each holder. Seems like a mistake[url][/url] to leave that for the purchaser to have to go out and buy on a $400 item.

5. I was about to install the balloon device to use as a check valve until I saw the update that it doesn't work. Is there any update on something that will accomplish the purpose?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:59 am 
Site Admin

1) The white walls are standard in the tank. If you can't see the pump... you have the walls.

3) The drain?

4) Early tanks were delivered with too few fasteners. Contact your dealer.

5) Hobie has no check valve option. The tank is designed to have the pump running at all times.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For me, if it doesn't have a check valve or a timer it isn't a $400 live well , its a glorified minnow bucket .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where did you get the paddle holder for the H rail? I want one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dexter419 wrote:
Where did you get the paddle holder for the H rail? I want one.

Looking at his picture - he's just installed the standard plug-in holder that's normally in the cargo area onto an accessory mount that's clamped to the H-Rail.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MoshePotomac wrote:
1. Removable Tank Partition?
2. Intake tube adjustment.
3. Mystery black knob.
4. Installation kit missing two sets of screws and bolts
5. Check valve update?

1. The advertising shows something called a "Removable Tank Partition" http://www.hobiecat.com/accessories/livewell-xl/ but this was not in product I received. Does anyone know if this is an optional extra? If so, do I need it?

2. I use the LiveWell XL on a PA 14 2015. The length of the intake tube is perfect. Just had to adjust it to point straight ahead. Once I did that it primes fine.

3.At the bottom of the tank, on the front under the battery area, there is a black knob. This goes to a small insert in the tank. It isn't mentioned in the instructions. Does anyone know purpose this serves?

4. The diagram for installation shows two extra rod holders, which each require two sets of screws and nuts. But the kit only included one set for each holder. Seems like a mistake[url][/url] to leave that for the purchaser to have to go out and buy on a $400 item.

5. I was about to install the balloon device to use as a check valve until I saw the update that it doesn't work. Is there any update on something that will accomplish the purpose?

The in-line check was a great idea but the pump was not strong enough to continue to pull water thru the check and in the tank. As far as the balloon idea goes, that works great! I bought a.99 bag of large balloons and cut the end out of one of the balloons. Then I just slipped the open end of the balloon over the outtake end of the tube that leads from the pump. Once the tank is primed and at the desired level, I can now cut the pump off and no water is lost back thru the pump because the balloon collapses together and prevent the tank from draining!! I have actually filled the tank with water and minnows before launching just to keep until I get up to speed. Once the tank is primed at about 2.5 to 3 mph, it runs fine

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

New to fishing and the PA14. Really like the boat as I can cruise several hours without soreness at the end of the day. I retired recently (66 yr old) and am learning a new hobby.

Went fishing yesterday and the wind frustrated me in spite of dragging an anchor. The anchor has "petals" that can be opened. Did that and then spent 45 minutes getting my anchor up (I think it got caught under a cable that was hold piers in place).

I tried worms and artificial bait with no success. So when I finally came in others in regular boats were also coming in. I asked how they did. They showed me live-wells full of crappie. I got skunked. Their trick was using small minnows. So I looked at the Hobie live-well. How does one get to the well when it is behind you? Seems to me that the hatch under my feet would make a better place to get bait.

Thanks.

Brad