Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak Insurance?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wondering if anyone has tried to insure your Pro Angler or other kayaks?

I hadn't really thought about it, but last night after a friend found out what my PA14 and Trailex trailer set me back he asked if it was insured.

So this morning I called my insurance company (Progressive) and yes I can cover it on my boat policy.. Since I bought it new its covered at replacement cost for the first 3 years. With $1000 coverage for fishing equipment and personal effects, $250 deductible for comprehensive coverage (theft) and collision (can't imagine having an at-fault accident) and roadside assistance for the trailer I was able to cover the yak and trailer with a value of $4500 for $125 a year. Might be worth checking with your insurance company if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Kayak Insurance?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This has been mentioned a few times over the past few years. More and more folks are insuring their kayak, especially Hobies. When I purchased my 2012 PA14, it was a no brainer to get the insurance. I pay $150 a year with State Farm for a regular boater's policy. That covers 2 PA14s, an aluminum dual trailer (purchased new), all my rods, tackle, fishfinders, livewell, etc.

It's cheap piece of mind. :mrgreen:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A $150 sounds a bit expensive considering it sounds like giving money away.
Depending on the situation my house insurance or car insurance covers mine. Check your policy.

If I get into an accident while trailering that is my car insurance. Everything else is my house insurance except having an accident while kayaking.
I bought boat insurance once, the only thing it was good for was having an accident while boating. It was not worth it.
I had a friend get into an accident with this 30 thousand dollar boat, the hull got a hole in it and bent; his car insurance covered it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

$250 deductible on the boat policy if it's stolen versus $1000 on my homeowners, then here I Florida you have to worry about the insurance company drop you after filing a claim. I agree most of what you're paying for (liability coverage) will never be needed on a kayak, but $10-15 a month for the theft protection, fishing equipment and personal effects should I roll it are worth not having to worry about my homeowners going up or getting non-renewed. Plus the multi-policy discount for also having my car insurance with ge same company makes it a wash, so the kayak insurance is free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's just a simple cost/benefit analysis.

If you live in a neighborhood where stuff get's stolen, getting supplemental insurance is a no-brainer. If you're in a gated community you can probably stay with homeowners insurance. Most of us are somewhere in between, and that's one thing to take into account when you make your determination.

Bear in mind, the actuarial tables are slanted in the insurance companies' favor. They are going to charge you and everyone in your neighborhood enough so that they can make a profit even if a few kayaks get stolen/destroyed. That said...

...if you keep enough money in the bank to go out and buy a new kayak at the drop of a hat (or when the kayak gets stolen) then you probably don't the insurance. But the way these things are priced nowdays ($3k+) I can't think of anyone who has that kind of money laying around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My PA14 is insured with Allstate with a boat policy for $40 a year with a $50 deductible that covers theft/damage/sinking as well as $1000 for my personal equipment that could be lost in I flipped it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NH_HobiePA14 wrote:
My PA14 is insured with Allstate with a boat policy for $40 a year with a $50 deductible that covers theft/damage/sinking as well as $1000 for my personal equipment that could be lost in I flipped it.

That's probably the best rate I've seen. A couple months ago $100 was about the lowest I could find.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For those of you who think the policy covers equipment such as fishing rods and reels, I recommend you double check that. I have State Farm and just got my policy to cover my PA17. However, if it wanted any equipment (such as rods and reels) covered, it falls under sporting equipment and needs to be separately stated and rated. I was also told by my agent that it's only covered as theft if it is "attached to the kayak" so a fish finder would technically be covered if it's on a mount.

Just a heads up given my experience. Otherwise I agree, insurance for the Hobie is a must.

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Allstate policy is actually only $20 for the boat ($50 deductible) and $20 for an additional $1000 of coverage ($100 deductible) of personal items (fishing gear) and will also cover an additional 10% of the Hobie replacement cost ($3200) or $320 towards gear for a total of $1320 in lost gear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In case anyone else is helped by this, you really just have to keep trying different agents. I tried several including two Allstate (one said no, one said yes) and two State Farm (again one said no, another said yes). I ended up getting a State Farm (Georgia) policy for $60 with $0 deductible covering $3000. Allstate was $68 with $50 deductible. (Thanks NH_HobiePA14 for your help.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got a 17t for Xmas. Geico giving me for 250$ deductible replacement cost of kayak, 1000$ of pets equipment. I've actually had a boat pinched, so the 120$ a year well worth it to me ... I spend more than $10 in a week stopping to grab coffees, so .....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I checked around on this when I bought my PA in october and it ranged from $60 to and outrageous $450 (but it was the best, or thats what he said anyway)
I ended up going through boatus and for $110 a year it covers any loss (at fault or not) and set it for an agreed value of $3800 that never depreciates for a $50 deductible, unless its a named storm then I think it was $500. also has an angler package that covers up to $5000 for anything that is fishing related on the water or on the way/to the water also for $50. I also added a package that is for $2500 of personal equipment that is anything, camera, phone, radio etc for the same $50 deductible. I know it sounds like I work for them but I promise I'm just a poor ole truck driver that likes to fish with some peace of mind and I think for just over a 100 bucks its dang sure worth it if I flip going BTB when its most likely and loose one item.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Somewhere around $150 a year for our TI and trailer. I've also registered it with Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is a slightly late response but my husband and I just insured our PA14, PA12, and our Malone trailer through Progressive for $104.00 per year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just bought mine thru Farmers Insurance. $100 for $3500 coverage of kayak with 1% deductable and $1000 coverage for lost or stolen items with a 10% deductable. I am sure it is a waste of money, but it gives me peace of mind knowing that if my trailer leaves my car at 70mph and my kayak decides it wants to fly, I am not out $3500!

And a lot less worry that some unscrupulous a$$ will ruin my day by borrowing my rods and reels while I am having lunch or picking up ice for my soon to be had Orion cooler.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937