Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a used 2014 Pro Angler with a micro power pole mounted on the back. Wondering if a person could mount the power pole behind the seat with the pole going down through a scupper hole. Would probably fabricate some sort of mounting plate that would fit in the well area behind the seat. Doing this to free up the back for a electric trolling motor. I know I could drop a small motor through the mirage drive hole, but would like to be able to use the pedal drive at the same time. Is this a bad idea? Opinions please. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OldHunter wrote:
Just bought a used 2014 Pro Angler with a micro power pole mounted on the back. Wondering if a person could mount the power pole behind the seat with the pole going down through a scupper hole.

Quick answer is yes, but the scupper hole is the weakest part of the mold and will crack when placed in stress. The rocking motion of the waves might stress the edges of the hole.

Would probably fabricate some sort of mounting plate that would fit in the well area behind the seat. Doing this to free up the back for a electric trolling motor. I know I could drop a small motor through the mirage drive hole, but would like to be able to use the pedal drive at the same time. Is this a bad idea?

This is not a bad idea. BUT what will you want to accomplish with the mirage drive and electric trolling motor at the same time?

Opinions please. Thanks

Good Luck and tell us how it worked out with pictures!!!!! Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

My concern would be stress on the scupper hole as the pole flexes. If the mount is solid and you could keep the pole from contacting the scupper...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinwater skinner wrote:
OldHunter wrote:
Just bought a used 2014 Pro Angler with a micro power pole mounted on the back. Wondering if a person could mount the power pole behind the seat with the pole going down through a scupper hole.

Quick answer is yes, but the scupper hole is the weakest part of the mold and will crack when placed in stress. The rocking motion of the waves might stress the edges of the hole.

This is not a bad idea. BUT what will you want to accomplish with the mirage drive and electric trolling motor at the same time?

Opinions please. Thanks

I think you and Matt both answered my question, I was a little worried that it might cause a structural problem. I bought this PA with a basically new/ unused Torqeedo Evolve motor and trying to justify keeping it since I have a 45# thrust Bassyaks MinnKota motor from my old kayak. It has foot pedal steering that I could adapt to the PA but not sure I want to give up my horizontal rod holders along the sides. The reason I want be able to use both the mirage drive and trolling motor is be able to more easily move to different spots plus I'm an old guy with bad knees. Now I'm wondering if I could mount the PowerPole on the front or side. Problem with on the front is I would always be facing into the wind and could interfere with casting and fighting a large fish. Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OldHunter wrote:
Now I'm wondering if I could mount the PowerPole on the front or side. Problem with on the front is I would always be facing into the wind and could interfere with casting and fighting a large fish. Thanks for your input.

I always face into the wind to fish. I use the mirage drive like a trolling motor and hold into position. Depending how hight the pole will be sticking out in front of you, it might be a problem. I would solve the problem by side casting on the left side of the pole. But that might not be easy thing to do. Drag a anchor and forget the pole... My 2 cent worth!!! Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a thought, if you were able to get the ball and mounting brackets from a 403 retrfitted to your existing evolve you could mount the 403 on the ball to one side and the micro pole to the other (both in back). Alternately maybe make a side bracket and mount the 403 to the side (like what many do with regular trolling motors). I agree I would never want to lose the ability to pedal with the mirage drive even with a trollong motor, this way you can use both at the same time.
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you ever wish for something, get it and then realize it may not be what you needed after all? Both the power pole and evolve are great products, but don't really address my specific need. Most of the waters I fish are too deep and have flooded trees that may negate the use of the pole, and I don't want to ruin the new evolve I got with my used 2014 PA by running into stumps and underwater limbs. I'm thinking, maybe sell them both and buy a 45# Minn Kota Power Drive with I-pilot and mount it on the front or back of the PA. It would solve both issues of staying on the spot and MK motors are pretty tough. Anyone have any experience with the Power Drive and I-pilot on a PA?