Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just receive a pretty good bonus check, so I have money burning a hole in my pocket. Part of me that loves gadgets and convenience really wants a PPM, but the other part, the sensible part that hardly ever gets listened to says I have a Park-n-pole, do I really need this? I have been building a pros and cons list and want to get other opinions before busting out close to $1K for the unit, pole, integrated battery pack, and the Hobie mounting plate.

Pros
- Very freaking cool
- drops and retracts at a touch of a button
- I mostly fish skinny water so I would probably use the heck out of it...especially in April when the winds they be a blowing.
- easy install (Why is the Hobie mount white? That would need to be painted black!)
- pole could/would double as a flag/navigation light holder.

Cons
- A LOT of money
- 8' pole sticking up off the back of the Kayak - how does that not cause a lot of trouble when your fishing around cover?
- if I emergency release the unit the pole it sitting on top of my head. Can you attach the pole or put the unit back in place without getting out of the kayak?
- pole in the way of back casting with 7' rods?

That is just off the top of my head. I really want this, but the practical side of me says, save the money and by the GF a used Outback so she can keep up, plus I am going to feel bad peddling the PA while she is paddling a $200 pelican. Or spend the cash on a new Lowrance Hook 7 or 7ti to replace the Elite 4 which now seems tiny on this boat. For the same money, I can by a Hook 7 and a 35 quart Orion cooler.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially from those that have it and use it. But also from those that don't, and why they don't.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

Last edited by STLKayak on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
(Why is the Hobie mount white? That would need to be painted black!)

It is thermal formed and could soften in darker colors, to for strength... white is best.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have one I got with a used PA a few months ago. I like it a lot, it came with the separate battery that you have to run wires to. I purchased the Lithium battery that attaches directly to the back of the PP mechanism at Cabelas for $150 and I highly recommend it. Biggest problem I have is it doesn't work well in overhead cover (standing trees). Another thing is if there is any wind at all it will turn you with your back to the wind. That may not be a problem for you but can be if you are wanting to fish at a different angle. Not a bad idea to also carry your park n pole to help with that.

Probably not a good idea to attach a flag or light to it, as you might want to drop it down to full length and they would get in the way, plus light would not be as visible nor probably legal if down all the way. My light is on a mighty mount attached to the plate.

Only used the emergency release one time and that was by accident. It didn't hit me as the pole didn't go fully horizontal. I think I did have to get out to reset the release but can't remember. I do hit it occasionally when I cast but once you get used to it doesn't happen that often. If I am moving and the water is deeper I lower the pole part way and then it is out of the way.

Would I buy a new one if I wanted one? Probably, but I would look for a used one first. Not a problem getting rid of it if you didn't like it, I have had 3 guys want to buy mine in 5 trips on the water. I have a 16 1/2' alumacraft fishing boat also, and I think I can use it for that too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got my micro about a month and a half ago. I tried to tell myself that it wasn't necessary, I will just use my wang anchor......

After many trips using the wang anchor alone with anchor trolley and now the PPM, I can tell you there is no similarity. You just hit the button and bam you are stopped. So worth the money. I fish inshore saltwater on the west coast of Florida. Yea, it sticks up and going under low bridges and such is kind of a pain, but man the pros completely overshadow the cons. I have pole clips on the side of my PA 14 and I can just clip it off if I am going under a lot of low cover somewhere.

One thing I will say is that if you must use the emergency release you will have a hard time resetting it without getting out of the yak. I haven't had to use it yet but everytime I have ever had to remove the pole or mess with the unit on the water I had to pull up somewhere and get out.

The only other potential downside I see is during self rescue. One of the easiest ways to re enter the PA is from the back. It is kind of right in the way, however, it might actually provide something to grab on to and pull your self.

All that said, I love the thing. It's rugged, super functional, easy to install and totally changed the way I can fish. I was out today and I caught several fish because I was able to effectively control my boat on a blowed out day. If you have the money, buy it. It will hurt for a sec when you see the price but when you get it on the water it's a no brainer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I have added another pro. After being out all weekend, in some pretty tough conditions I might add, I found out something interesting with the way I fish the Hobie. I am fishing more like I am in a bass boat. I am covering a LOT of water, and that is a good thing, but I am not spending as much time working spots. I am sure that is part novelty and being in awe of this boat. But when I fish the J Cuda, I would hit a spot and just plug the front end on the rocks or beach and fish that spot to death. Then move down 20 yard and do the same. I did not cover as much water, but I covered what I fish thoroughly and caught fish.

In the Hobie I am presenting more like I am in my dad's Ranger. It is so easy to cover water, I find myself actually out peddling my casts. Again, I have only had the boat for 3 weekends, 8 real trips on the water, I have a lot to learn. But I think that anything that would slow me down and let me focus on my spots would help me catch fish.

PRO - Stop and Fish. Being able to stop on a dime and really fish my spots. No pain in the behind anchor. No need to stick the nose of my kayak where it does not belong.

Still want to hear more pros and cons. Anyone paint the Hobie mounting plate? I am pretty a-retentive about how things look, I mean, I am waffling on a cooler because I want it to match the kayak! If I could find a used PPM in good shape, I would buy in a second, but I have not found one anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I debated for a year and a half whether I should add the Micro Anchor. I finally purchased Thanksgiving Day last year and just got installed over the winter. I have only been on the water twice with it and I think it is already worth every penny. As I side note I purchased on Thanksgiving day as West Marine has 20% off site wide so could not beat the price. I about purchased the year before and did not and had regrets the entire year. I like my stake out pole but just a pain to grab and position and then get mud everywhere when pulling up.

As for the mounting bracket color, I had the exact same feelings. I had already wrapped the boards, rails, front hatch cover in carbon fiber vinyl wrap. My concern was all the contours on the bracket with all the contours. So I stopped by a local auto tint/vinyl wrapping place in my area and showed him. He had solid army green in stock and did it for $25 so could not pass it up. I may end up going back later and get it wrapped in the black carbon fiber so that it matches the hatch etc. I ended up replacing the stock boards with the Mad Frog Deluxe boards when I upgraded to the H rails.

The cooler comment is hilarious but I know what you mean. I ended up with the Yeti Roadie 20. When I was ordering my Seadek (Camo) about two years back for the PA14 I asked them if they had the pattern/template for the pad for that cooler. They said yes and told me with the amount of material they were using for my pattern (Thanks again SRaces) that they could redo the CAD drawing and provide the pad for the Yeti at no charge. Bonus!

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very good info Tarheel. 20% off would be a game changer, but I have not found deal one on a PPM. If anyone knows of or can point me in the direction of a good deal or discount, PLEASE DO!

You should post some pictures of your boat. How is the durability of the vinyl wrap? Wonder if they could wrap a cooler. I am actually kind of fixated on the Jackson Orion 35 quart. Problem is, we don't have a dealer that stocks anything in less than the 'will hold an entire deer size.' Was thinking the Jungle Camo might look good with my Olive PA. But a vinyl wrap. That is intriguing.

Kind of surprised I have not heard from anyone with negative feeling towards the power-pole.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Will get some pics posted this weekend when finished up with a few more mods. Thus far the carbon fiber vinyl wrap had been very durable and easy to clean. It is by 3M so pretty good. Now the wrap on the PPM bracket was a different brand and a little thinner but should be fine for where it is. Still better than white and figured would be more durable than paint. Also, can remove in a matter of minutes if need be.

I imagine someone talented and experienced could wrap a cooler. That is not something I would like to tackle though. The 20 quart Yeti suits my needs for a three or 4 day kayak camping trip. When at the coast fishing for flounder and reds I have the Hobie Hatch cooler with ice packs for fish and that seems to work well for day trips.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of my other issues with the PPM is resetting to normal use after an emergency release it, from the boat. I have been looking around to see if there might be a better way than having a line run on the outside of my PA, and getting out of the boat to put it verticals again.

Thinking I might be able to rig up a release/return using a Hobie or 3rd party rudder swearing kit.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/27 ... b-Kit.html

If I could rig up a spring tensioner that would always try to pull the PPM into the upright position, I could run an internal cable thru the hull to release it and clam clear in the released horizontal position, but once I let the cable loose, the spring would pull it back to the vertical position.

Not sure if that makes any sense, except in my head. Anyone have suggestions or maybe have seen custom installs where the cabling for the release is internally routed? This is just part of my being a-retentive, and want everything perfect...or at least perfect for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still waffling on the PPM, but had another question come up, specifically about the lithium batter pack that mounts directly to the unit. Anyone know about the life cycle of that battery? At $200 it should have a lifetime warranty. I ask this, because today I realized that the 12v Cabela's brand 8Ah battery I have been using for the last 14 months suddenly will only put out 4.5v. That is only a nuisance when the battery is $25 and I was able to replace on the way home from the lake at a batteries plus store, but a little tougher to swallow at $200. And like everything else, they rarely fail during the warranty, case in point, my Cabela's battery, it failed two months after the warranty expired.

Just doing some mental math, is the convenience of the battery pack worth $200? I don't think the PPM lithium battery pack has been out long enough for anyone to know its expected lifecycle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If your planning to use the Power-Pole Micro on just one boat, the Lithium Battery Kit isn't all that important, where it shines is when your PPM does duty on more than one craft.

Mine is used on a 2015 Outback, 2016 PA12 and LIVE Watersports L2Fish SUP. Beyond the battery kit, all I had to purchase were two additional mounts.

And yes, I couldn't see not having the PPM down here in South Florida's skinny waters and backcountry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lt.FireDog - that is a great point. I am looking at adding an Outback to my fleet. I say it is for my GF, can't have her paddling a Pelican while I strut about in a PA14, but let's be honest, I think the Outback would be great addition for me as well. Any stats on the lithium battery pack life cycle or warranty?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love the PPM on my 2015 PA 14. I never fished in a kayak before my Hobie and I purchased the PPM with the PA 14 from the dealer. I've never regretted spending the extra money on the PPM. It is so darn easy to stop and hold position.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Absolutely worth the money!! I used it a lot in the spring and fall bass fishing and crappie fishing as well as inshore at the coast! I purchased the battery pack that clips on the back of the unit instead of hard wiring and it is great! Sometimes I will combine the micro power pole with a stick it pin up front if needed!!

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD