Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I finally got around to ordering the front hatch seal and will be here on Tuesday. Just hope my install looks as good as yours STLKayak.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is nothing to it at all. I cut a couple of inches off one side, so I started with a good end, the wrapped it all the way around before making the final cut. Just remember to press hard to get it to seat all the way.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does Hobie provide a liner for customers with this issue? I have an outback and water fills the liner when surf launching or its raining... Never had any water inside the hull prior to using a hatch liner..

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tend to take the liner out on days calling for weather and have had the bow fully submerged in waves and no water got in ,and have also thought about trimming the lip off the liner and just recently installed a 6"hatch on the bow cover for access in rough weather . other than the new hole from the Skeg issue I have had no water enter the hull even after flipping . still waiting on Hobie claims for that mess

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am going to reiterate what I said before. In the last twelve days I have had my PA out 8-10 hours a day on 7 different lakes the biggest being Kentucky Lake, in some torrential rain, wind gust with large rollers over the bow, basically the worse cases I expect my humble Midwest Fishing Locals have to offer. Since adding the seal around the hatch, ZERO water in the kayak or in the liner.

FYI - had some really exceptionally good weather too...but that crappy weather stands out...and makes me realize what a great investment this Hobie was for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

STLKayak , do you think any seal will do ?
Sadly buying the seal from ACK is not a possibility for me, the shipment itself cost double than the item itself.

I ordered a rubber seal from ebay , hopefully it will do the job and look as great as yours.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How many feet should I purchase for this mod? Very interested.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We offer a hatch latch kit for buttoning down the hatch, which will improve the seal and minimize leaks. Please inquire with your local dealer any time after tomorrow and reference part number 84501921:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The seal from ACK worked great for me. I bought 10' just so i would have extra...ended up with a little less than 3' to spare. I am not sure what you purchased from eBay, hopefully it is similar enough and will work great as well. The hatch latch kit might be enough on its own by just keeping the lid locked down tightly, but I think the hatch liner hanging over the factory installed seal created my problem. I never had problems with water inside the kayak even with the line in. I only had problems with water collecting in the liner itself. I think that is what i am hearing from others as well, without the liner, the factory seal alone works great, and keeps with kayak dry. With the addition of the ACK purchased seal, both the inside of the kayak and the liner stay dry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

STLKayak wrote:
There is nothing to it at all. I cut a couple of inches off one side, so I started with a good end, the wrapped it all the way around before making the final cut. Just remember to press hard to get it to seat all the way.

I installed the seal yesterday and you were right on about pressing hard to get it to seat all the way. I could not get it out on the water to test it but I have a kubota tractor with a front end loader that I filled with water and dumped it on the front hatch area a couple times with no water getting inside. I'm going to do the wife's PA this weekend since I bought enough to do them both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rafiki2cu wrote:
I have a kubota tractor with a front end loader that I filled with water and dumped it on the front hatch area a couple times with no water getting inside.

Now that is a video I would like to see! I just use our Kubota to cut the grass!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have heard water can get in the rod holders and end up in the hull. You may want to check there if you are getting water intrusion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

STLKayak wrote:
rafiki2cu wrote:
ACK has a top and side glued seal. I'm assuming you used the side glued seal. Thanks for the info.

I used the side glued seal. I will edit my post. Thanks.

Looking at the pictures you posted I believe that you used the Top Molded and not the Side Glued. I've bought 7 ft of the Side Glued from ACK and it looks different from yours. There are only 2 choices in ACK and mine is not the one in your picture, is the other one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I know it's an old post... I just found it searching online, I'm having the issue with the water coming in the front hatch of a 2018 PA14 even with the new top lid seal that's included now.
I just ordered the side glued seal from ACK and hope this finally give me a fully sealed front hatch.
My question is, what glue do you use for this? or do I just place it without glue?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TunaTonight wrote:
Hi, I know it's an old post... I just found it searching online, I'm having the issue with the water coming in the front hatch of a 2018 PA14 even with the new top lid seal that's included now.
I just ordered the side glued seal from ACK and hope this finally give me a fully sealed front hatch.
My question is, what glue do you use for this? or do I just place it without glue?

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's glued. It's slotted with a bite-like channel.