Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When i came back in yesterday, after fighting 40mph gusts and some pretty big rollers, i had about 2 gallons of water in the font hatch liner. So, everything in my front hatch was floating. Typically everything is in a dry bag of sorts so not that big of a deal. But... I am wondering if there might be a better way. I am thinking of drilling some small holes in the very bottom where the water pools the most, so that it drains into the hull, hopefully keeping my contents drier. But should i find a way to better seal the front hatch? Anyone have a better idea, or method of providing a better waterproof seal on the front hatch? I was also thinking of a drain plug, so if i want to use the hatch as an ice chest for those days of catching a boat load of crappie, i would not have crappie juice draining into my hull. Thinking a boat full of crappie juice would smell, well like a dead goat when it warms up.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out Austin Kayak (ACK.com) hatch liner material:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/155 ... -Foot.html

This should do the trick. I have it on mine and while I haven't been in 40 mph gusts I have had some pretty good waves come over the bow. Never a drop in the liner. I wouldn't be letting water into the hull if I had a choice.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought the hatch already had a seal like this on it. I will take a look in the morning. If not, this seems like a no brainer...even at $3.30 a foot. $20-25 for less water in the hull sounds good to me. FYI: there was quite a bit of water, but less than I would have thought, in he hull as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The hatch does have a similar if not the same seal. I used the ACK product on the liner itself. This makes for a very snug seal and I've never had water get in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah ha. Did you use the side glued or top molded seal? Any chance of a quick picture if you get a chance? I am a visual learner! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

STLKayak wrote:
Ah ha. Did you use the side glued or top molded seal? Any chance of a quick picture if you get a chance? I am a visual learner! :)

Love to see a photo of that install. What seal did you use? Very interested.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm out of town right now. Will post a pic when I return next week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought 10' of the side glued seal. It is a very tight fit getting it on the hatch liner. I started installing at the lake last Saturday, but decided it was going to take a little more time than I had to do it right. Since then other projects have taken my attention, but as soon as I find some time, I will try to knock this out, test, and report back.

I would still like to see some photos from sgvarn.

Last edited by STLKayak on Mon May 02, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finally put the seal on the front hatch liner. It is a tight fit getting it around the liner, do not expect to have any issues with it coming off. This definitely produces a tighter seal when the hatch is in place. Will post the results next time I get on some hair-raising water. Nothing but thunderstorms all day today... perfect day to check it out, except for the lightening.

Here are a couple of photos of the end result.

BTW: anyone know what the bungee button is uses for under the sail mast receiver?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe it's for the sail kit. I spotted another one under the seat, right hand side. Forgot to look on the left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your seal install looks great and now I'm thinking of doing the same. Did you get your seal from ACK or somewhere else.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought 10' of the bottom glued seal from ACK. Obviously more than I needed. Looking for something small to seal now with the extra. It is a tight fit with the lid now. You actually have to press it down a bit, and can feel it seal even better. (FYI - it takes a little effort to get it installed on the hatch liner. You have to press it on pretty hard to get it over the edges, but once it is fully in place, I don't see it falling off.)

Was out for about 10 hours today, but only took a few waves over the front...was actually a pretty great day weather wise...so I pointed myself into some boat wakes. Not really a good test, but it stayed dry as a bone. Started catching fish around noon, and forgot all about it!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ACK has a top and side glued seal. I'm assuming you used the side glued seal. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rafiki2cu wrote:
ACK has a top and side glued seal. I'm assuming you used the side glued seal. Thanks for the info.

I used the side glued seal. I will edit my post. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a chance to REALLY put this gasket to the test over the last couple of days on Kentucky Lake. I am going to start of by saying WOW, this freaking Pro Angler 14 is awesome! I mean, I was out and fishing water that I would not have thought possible or prudent in a kayak. Felt comfortable and confident the entire time. (No, not stupid confident, but the kind you experience as you learn the true capabilities of this boat.)

Quick story, my dad was piloting a Ranger bass boat on a very windy point. They could not keep point with the trolling motor because of the wind and waves, so he was running the 225 hp motor at idle while another buddy fished the shore. He was shocked - and slightly in awe - that I was able to sit off the same shore next to his Ranger, in my PA 14, casting away. In 30 mph gusts with three foot rollers! It was freaking fun! Wear your life vest kind of fun. But fun none the less.

Long story short... Not a drop of water in the front hatch. Not a drop of water inside the PA at all! I really expected to be draining gallons from the boat, after the abuse it took with waves crashing over the front, but she was bone dry!