Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since peddling my new PA, and learning the value of being able to stand 'effectively' and fish from a Kayak, I have found that I am constantly looking for a better way to navigate while standing. I have been using my YakAttack park-n-pole, but it is really not a viable option. Anyone using SUP Paddles? I find that I rarely use my Hobie paddle to actually paddle when sitting down. I use it about half the time when launching to clear the ramp, and I use it as a push pole to get off the shore when i wonder in to close to peddle - which is probably not the best thing for that thin bladed paddle. I am really leaning towards a longer paddle, similar to those used by SUPers.

Looking for suggestions as to a good SUP style paddle, but also looking for one aimed more at anglers. Would love the handle to be designed for pushing and retrieving, not just a hand grip. Also, how do you store it when standing to be easily reached?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the Accent Transformer Paddle. I can put the rest of the kayak paddle inside the hull in case of emergency.

http://accentpaddles.com/product/transformer-slider/

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That brings up an idea that might be worth looking into. Since you can stand up on a PA already, and the PA already has an optional stand up bar, you might be able to build two peddles with a 90 degree bend in them to fit on your standard mirage drive (I would start with 3/4"sq solid aluminum, then bend it), then place hinged boards over the mirage drive with the hinges about 6 inches in front of the mirage drive, just lashed to the deck to try it out. I would just use door or gate hinges screwed into the boards, and onto a plate glued to the deck (a large thin plate has lots of surface area so it could be glued to the deck with silicone or something removable (no need to drill any holes in the deck at all) When fishing standing up you would step up and down like on the Eclipse to get forward motion with the mirage drives while standing up. You could also use a SUP paddle to help steering, or extend the steering handle up to standing height with maybe PVC tubing or something so you can steer while standing up (it would just push over the existing handle, so it's easily removable).

Would be fun thinking it thru and building, just use wood for the pedal stair step boards (cheap and easy to work with), and plain old door or gate hinges.

Would be great for the fly fish guys (pretty much hands free). The PA is probably the only Hobie kayak you could get away with a setup like that because it's so stable, and already has the stand up handle option available.

We are talking lake and stream stuff here (not offshore).

Just food for thought. (sorry this is just the way I think (outside the box).
FE

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fusioneng - keep thinking outside the box! That is where innovation happens. That being said, I am a Keep it Simple kind of guy. I sit more than I stand, so this needs to be simple and unobtrusive. But, you have me thinking about the eclipse drive on a PA with an H-Bar. Interesting.

KeuKayak - that is a great looking paddle. I like the transformer pro even better, but at $315, is it worth the cash?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KeuKayak - I just ordered the Transformer Pro from ACK. Hoping to have it in hand on Friday! Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like a heck of a paddle, plus all the extras. I really like the fact that it weighed so little compared to some of the other convertible or extendable paddles. Be interesting to see if the stake out pole will match up to a YakAttack parking pole. My Hobie paddle is going to be repurposed for another of my guest kayaks.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As I have suggested here previously, perhaps Hobie could make a long straight paddle extension and an attachable push-pole foot so you could convert the Hobie paddle into a push pole quickly on the water for when you need to pole effectively in the shallows.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have to agree with you, seems like it would be any easy and natural addition. Will let you know what I think of the Accent Transformer when I get it. Thought it was coming today, but tracking says I have to wait until Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been using a SUP paddle with a telescopic handle since I bought my PA14. It's a great way to sight-fish from the yak.

(I don't think I ever used the standard paddle that came with it.)

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My experience with SUP...
-Never owned anything but this board
-Have paddled a lot of middle quality rigid boards
-Have paddled once or twice on a nice race quality rigid board

As a SUP...
-It's long, which makes up for the stability you lose being slightly higher off the water than on a rigid board
-If you paddle pretty hard/fast it won't really hold a line as well as a rigid board that has a small wedge in the front. I found the nose rotating a few degrees every strong paddle, which gets annoying on long paddles when you have a destination in mind
-The included paddle works find, I would not recommend buying an aftermarket, it'd be like adding BMW performance tires to a Buick

As a recreational 'water toy'...
-Kids would use the board to ferry up to 5 people across the small bay we lived on
-I fished with the board a few times, just secure a tacklebox or cooler to the front and you're good to go

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My experience with SUP...
-Never owned anything but this board
-Have paddled a lot of middle quality rigid boards
-Have paddled once or twice on a nice race quality rigid board

As a SUP...
-It's long, which makes up for the stability you lose being slightly higher off the water than on a rigid board
-If you paddle pretty hard/fast it won't really hold a line as well as a rigid board that has a small wedge in the front. I found the nose rotating a few degrees every strong paddle, which gets annoying on long paddles when you have a destination in mind
-The included paddle works find, I would not recommend buying an aftermarket, it'd be like adding BMW performance tires to a Buick

As a recreational 'water toy'...
-Kids would use the board to ferry up to 5 people across the small bay we lived on
-I fished with the board a few times, just secure a tacklebox or cooler to the front and you're good to go

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

KeuKayak wrote:
I use the Accent Transformer Paddle. I can put the rest of the kayak paddle inside the hull in case of emergency.

https://paddleboardsurf.com/stand-up-sup-paddles/

Wow! Thanks for posting. That's cool. A multi-use paddle that you can use for kayak's, SUPs, and even has a ruler for measuring the size of fish. I had no idea that there were companies out there making paddles this advanced. I guess I should have known. Very expensive paddles but I'm sure they are worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used to own a nucanoe frontier, and I bought a huge 275 cm paddle for it. It paddled suprisingly well even though I used a trolling motor a lot. I always thought that huge paddle would be great for the PA. I've always been suprised Hobie hasn't included a larger paddle with the PAs or some type of insert to lengthen the standard Hobie paddle which would help while poling.