Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does anyone know the Trailex front and rear bearing and oil seal size and where I can buy it? Is this available in stores that sells auto parts. Just wanted to replace mine this weekend. I already emailed Trailex for the specs but nice if I can get this from any auto part stores so I can finish this project this weekend. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you remove the tire and then hub, take the hub to your local auto parts store and they can match up the correct bearings and grease seal......measure the OD of the axle that the grease seal fits over.
A cheap Chinese bearing set, for both hubs are around $25, but a good American bearing set is twice the cost.......I replaced my bearings last year and went for the Timken bearings.....oil seals are low cost. Sorry, I don't have the bearings part numbers on hand.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Dr. I will check that brand Timken.

Anyway here's what I got from Carl from Trailex. Really happy with how they deal with their customers. Quick response.

SUT Trailers

12192TB Double Lip Grease Seal for 1" & 1 1/16" trailer wheel bearings
Very common grease seal used on standard BT8 trailer spindles. This Double lip rubber seal is spring loaded and is used with inner hub bearing #L44643 or L44649
Specs:
• ID = 1.249"
• OD = 1.983"
• Width = .250"

Seal Cross-Reference
Dexter # Transcom # National # NOK # Chicago Rawhide #
- 12192TB 470706 AD1836FO 12407

BEARING INNER AND OUTER THE SAME

Inner Bearing ID: 44643
Outer Bearing ID: 44643
Seal ID: 1.25"
Race ID: 44610
L44643/10 Single-row Taper Roller Wheel bearing, bearing ables to carry radial and axial load in one direction simultaneously, this is a popular size that could be used in many application. Bearing is made of Chrome Steel.
• Item: L44643/10 bearing
• Type: Single-row Taper Roller Wheel bearing
1.0000 inch inside x 1.9800 inch outside x 0.5600 inch width

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's what I ordered. I hope this is the right one.

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/Trailer- ... arings-12/

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Done replacing the bearing but kept the old bearing race as I was not ready/prepared to replace it. I'll replace it next time I change the bearing. The only issue was the bearing seal. I had to go out and look for the same seal I pulled from the hub ( all rubber). Reinstalled the bearing buddy and shot more grease.
Just making sure the one who would use the info I provided won't make the same mistake.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nap...bearings are made in matched sets and it really cheap to have a automotive machine shop remove and reinstall the matched bearing race for you.
My local NAPA store has an excellent internal machine shop, so I don't fuss about replacing the races.....it's quick and done correct.
Installing the grease seal is easy to do, in your garage after packing the bearings....unless you have them do it too.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you. Ill check Napa here and see if they provide the same service. I'm not really happy with not replacing all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Somehow, my Trailex SUT-350-AIT trailer came with EZlube spindles. The bearings are 1" ID; however, the grease seal ID is 1 1/2" instead of the typical 1 1/4". The hub dust caps should have been the type that have a removable rubber plug to facilitate grease application, but were not. After several conversations with Trailex, they provided me with the correct dust caps and grease seals. Thanks Trailex. I do not know if my spindles are one-of-a-kind, but I thought that I should let you folks know what I experienced.