Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks kayak99. That's where I was thinking. Mine will be here on Monday. Thanks for the install tips also. I'll be loading/unloading from a truck bed so too far forward might not give me the right angle.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Word to the wise if you are installing the Landing Gear make sure that you grease your thumbscrew threads and put anti-seize on all your bolts or they will never come out again. Aluminum and stainless steel = rusty bolts that will not come out should you need to replace something, the good thing is I have had mine on for 2 years and not a single complaint other than rusty bolts. So in closing RINSE, GREASE and REPEAT every time you go out in the saltwater.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes I agree with previous post about The bolt starting to rust and difficult to remove so I did grease them. I think I already lost thread on one. I think you should also ask the manufacturer if they prefer using blue loctite. I feel like the bolts loosen up after some use. I have to check and re tighten them whenever I plan to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thought I might contribute here. Many of you may know this already. I installed landing gear last week on my new PA14 (2016). In my kit I received powder coated spacers/risers to go under the mounting point for the H Rail as the knuckle of the landing gear raises the rail. However, the stock bolt is not long enough to go through the Aluminum spacer and into the hull. I simply went to the Hardware store and picked up the appropriate 1.5" bolt.

I originally ordered through ACK. They were great. When I spoke with Boonedox about this, they had said that not all users were having this experience. They told me that some boats came with bolts long enough and others didn't. I feel they made every effort to correct the problem. They sent me an entirely new kit that had the plastic thinner spacers instead. They just asked I return the parts I didn't use. I'm sure if I switched the the plastic ones I could have made the stock bolt fit, but I was happy just leaving it the way it was. So I am just sending back the entire 2nd kit they sent to me.

I think this is the single best upgrade you can do for boat like this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone tried installing this on a 2017 camo outback? One side of my yak is higher than the other!!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone know the maximum weight limit on the Landing Gear?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the landing gear to load the kayak into my pickup. I also added a bed extender. Although I typically use a boat launching ramp, the boat would start sliding backward when I had the front on the bed. My truck is a 4x4 so it is a little high. Some of the ramps had my arms extended over my head without much leverage to push the boat into the truck. Now I drive my truck frontend toward the water and wheel the kayak to the rear of the truck. With the truck pointed down hill, it is really easy to load.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got this after I ordered a landing Gear for my 2017 PA14 Camo.

Allan

We just received a bulletin from Boonedox this morning in regards to the Landing Gear on a PA. There have been 2 reported cases of the Hull cracking on CAMO PA's when using the Landing Gear. Boonedox does have a larger backing plate that we can get to install on your kayak, but they do not know if this is going to solve this issue. You can contact Boonedox directly by email and ask them any questions you may have about this issue prior to us proceeding with the order.

Tim Parks would be the contact person and this is his email address. [email protected]

Sorry for this coming up, but would rather you be informed about the potential problem and let you decide if you would like to proceed or cancel your order. We will put the order on hold until we hear back from you.

Regards
Kerry
OEX/KFS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any more information and details on the failures? I contacted them directly and they said could try the larger backing plates (on my dime of course).

I have a 2017 PA14 in Camo so I'm very concerned right now. I use a truck bed extender and am always easy when unloading it onto the wheels. My rear cargo is a standard crate with a couple tackle boxes, so not much weight there. Might have to go back to my heavy duty cart and chalk this up to a $250 loss :x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I took my PA12 out for 3rd time with the Landing Gear, I notice the wheels were bending a little funny, when I check the LG connection to the yak I noticed the bolts were loose, no biggie I'll just check every couple times out but I wish I used the Lock-tite on threads before installing. Right now I do not want to take out bolts and put back in with Lock-tite but for new guys I would consider it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a PA 12 with micropower pole installed. Where I fish, there are no boat ramps, so I'm launching and landing on muddy shores most of the time. My question is. I'm thinking of getting the boonedox landing gear, but wanted to know if the added weight is worth it. The kayak at the moment is already getting really heavy and don't really want to add any extra weight, unless the benefits of the landing gear out weigh the cons. I am currently truck loading the kayak, but just purchased the malone microsport trailer so I'll be using that soon. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for the help. The forums have always been really helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the issue with the landing gear is in some ways related directly to the total weight of the individual PA and what the owner has in it when they roll it to the water. I don't have the landing gear and don't plan on getting it. Right now, my H-Bar behind the seat takes the space where the landing gear would be mounted. I fish with a friend who has the landing gear on his 2017 PA14 and he swears by it. But he doesn't carry a lot of weight in the PA.

I can appreciate the folks that have to roll their PA quite a distance (on a beach or from a parking spot to the water). I've had to do that on a Boonedoggle trip with all my gear in it and it wasn't fun with the HD cart. Good luck with the landing gear if you get one. Sometimes an extra trip or two back to the truck to grab a few extra items that are going on the PA is well worth the small amount of time used and reducing the stress on the hull (out of the water). :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am one month or so into my new PA12 and put the Boonedox LG on before my first outing. I transport in back of Jeep GC with the hitch extender and tailgate chinced down most it can go.

With the fully rigged PA12 you are already looking at a heavy craft so I don;t think the LG weight will be any further hinderance. I also land in mud and uneven hardpacked dirt areas and really like the LG. I can push back into water, sometimes float the rear, step in raise LG. Sometimes I turn yak sideways stand next to it, raise side alittle and raise LG, repeat other side.

Getting back on shore is easier, when close to shore, I put LG down then drift to where it catches ground, step out then walk up uneven terrain.

I really like LG, however I did make one miscalculation. I planned on storing PA in back yard and need to pass thru gate to get there, however, the yak will not fit thru gate with LG wheels attached. So I had to buy cheap kayak scupper hole trolley from BassPro, and put on before taking yak of Jeep, it will then fit thru gate so I put on raised storage with them on. Reverse procedure to get in jeep. Once on jeep, I remove trolly and put LG wheels on. Takes an extra minute or two so no biggie....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had the landing gear on my 12ft. pro angler for 6 trips and it is awesome. I use a bed extender to haul, and roll my hobie to wherever I need to launch. It makes it so nice not having to empty the boat and lay it over when I take out. It only takes a few seconds when launching/taking out at ramps which is nice. I have a spot I walk it in about 200 yds. down a gravel access road to launch and the landing gear is holding up well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys for the replies. I think you all are right. The added weight will be negligible compared to the convenience of moving the yak around. Thanks 68camaro for reminding me that I also have a gate that I may at some point move the kayak through. I will need to keep the Hobie wheels just for that purpose then. Thanks again guys for the advise. Ordered the LG and trailer. I'll post pics when its all said and done.