Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys n girls, new member n hopeful kayak PA wantabee. New to kayaking n have 2 2016 PA14, rigging as of 21May2016.

Questions n Suggestions Pleaseeeeeeee,,,
If you had a choice of rear mount trolling motor, would you go with Bassyak vs Torqeedo 403 Ultra n why? I am 58, live up in northern Michigan. Also, recommendations on sun shading, is the Protech Jr biminee a wise choice n considering HPA14 seat heights which model would you go with?

I'll take pictures as I go n updates n share ideas good or bad n why? But right now, I need to rig my bad boy n make ready for my little shipmate Mighty Mouse.lol Undecided who's going to be Captain n Team Sgt. :mrgreen:

Appreciate any thoughts n have read much yet still undecided. Thanks Ty

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, neither is inexpensive. I am not sure about stern mounting of either, especially the Torqeedo as the rudder lines are internal on the Pro Angler. I would think that the Torqeedo I-series would the the simplest and cleanest way to go...or something like Venture Tubes Water Ninja or KayakDIY's...

https://youtu.be/TjFmpNKLink

https://youtu.be/xHjteqNflS4

What is your thinking with rear/stern mounting the trolling motor? To me, on a traditional paddle kayak that is rudder ready, stern mounting makes sense. But with the Hobie cassette space right there in front of you, why not use it?

Guessing your one of the Mighty Mouse troup coming to Kentucky in June? Where at in Michigain? My company HQ is in Traverse City, and I really want to get my Kayak up there for a bit this summer and peddle the big lake.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie evolve by TORQEEDO cannot be stern mounted on the Pro Angler model, and the PA 14 is not equipped to handle the motor mount/trolling motor. The PA 17 is the only boat we approve mounting the trolling motor to.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you thinking about an engine on a PA Then check out the Torqeedo 403. I know I'm sold on it. Do a search and check out the posts. I also don't know 1 person that is not happy with the Torqeedo rear mounted on the PA.

Reasons:

Space ........ Has the smallest footprint. The battery and the controller can be placed beside your seat so you have the whole back open.

Ease of installation .......... Can be installed in about an hour or less

Weight ...?.... Total systems weighs 16 lbs including the battery. As opposed to 70 to 90 lbs.

Putting on and taking off ........... Can be done in about 2 minutes ........ Just loosen 1 screw and I clip 2 clips and it's off. You can disconnect the battery and speed controller too. It also fits nicely in its own carrying bag with shoulder straps so everything stays in 1 place.

It also can be hooked to the steering drum so you can use the rudder steering control to steer the engine at the same time which means you will turn on a dime. You can also remotely pull up the engine and just use the rudder for steering.

Oh ...... And you can use the engine only ....... Engine and mirage drive or just the Mirage drive ....... This gives you the ultimate flexibility for speed, power and stealth when mounted in the back.

Safety .......... Comes with a kill switch and also turns off if you turn over so the PA doesn't run away from you if you turtle or while you are trying to re enter

Battery weighs about 6 lbs with a small footprint and comes equipped with a sophisticated battery charging system that balances the charge and a gps/computer that tells you how much battery and run time you have left. The battery gives you over 80% discharge before running out.
As opposed to others that use lead acid that weigh 60lb plus, have a larger footprint with no safety features or gps/computer to tell you how much farther you can go and you only get about 50% of the charge before the battery voltage drops below the usable voltage.

Comes with a speed controller that is just like most motor boats. Has forward and reverse. Has infinite speed control instead of forcing you to use presets.

The engine mount is universal and will fit any Yak and especially the PA.

Many people claim that the 403 is faster and the battery lasts longer than other systems. Just ask the many people here that have them.

It is German engineered from the propeller on up just for the kayak ........ and ESPECIALLY for that PA because it can be connected to the steering for the ultimate control and designed specifically for the kayak for speed, distance, weight and space utilization.

This is not an engine that has been adapted and pieced together from something made for a bass boat.

Etc cause I'm sure I forgot a bunch more.

I have 2 PA's each with rear mounted Torqeedos ........... I also have bass boats that I used with electrics only so I've used both.

Maybe some of the other guys will chime in.

Oh and PS ........... Let me know before you order ........ A couple of places that I know have sales from time to time

Last edited by Memory Maker on Mon May 23, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STLKayak wrote:
Wow, neither is inexpensive. I am not sure about stern mounting of either, especially the Torqeedo as the rudder lines are internal on the Pro Angler. I would think that the Torqeedo I-series would the the simplest and cleanest way to go...or something like Venture Tubes Water Ninja or KayakDIY's...

https://youtu.be/TjFmpNKLink

https://youtu.be/xHjteqNflS4

What is your thinking with rear/stern mounting the trolling motor? To me, on a traditional paddle kayak that is rudder ready, stern mounting makes sense. But with the Hobie cassette space right there in front of you, why not use it?

Guessing your one of the Mighty Mouse troup coming to Kentucky in June? Where at in Michigain? My company HQ is in Traverse City, and I really want to get my Kayak up there for a bit this summer and peddle the big lake.

The Torqeedo 403 rear mounted is REALLY great for the PA because the engine can be connected to the steering drum. This means that you can control the rudder and the engine at the same time so you can turn on a dime. You can also pull up the engine and just use the rudder and mirage drive ....... Or both together giving you the ultimate flexibility in power, speed and stealth. A bunch of guys on here have them set up that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm with MM on this one, yea the 403 torqeedo is pricy, but hands down the best setup available.
My opinion is you should not remove your mirage drive or try to fit a trolling motor or evolve (same exact motor btw) into the mirage slot for lots of reasons. The biggest being your legs are not doing anything anyway, my opinion is if you pedal the mirage drive all the time at a light pace even while using the electric motor you will extend your range quite a bit (all electrics have a finite range), plus a little exercise never hurts any of us. We don't have a PA, but we do have a TI and I pedal that at a light pace that I can maintain for ten hrs (similar to walking), even when sailing and motoring (increases my fuel economy quite a bit even with outboards.
Do a search on this forum, you will find a gazzilian posts regarding trolling and gas motors on PA's
Godd luck
FE

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Memory Maker wrote:
The Torqeedo 403 rear mounted is REALLY great for the PA because the engine can be connected to the steering drum. This means that you can control the rudder and the engine at the same time so you can turn on a dime. You can also pull up the engine and just use the rudder and mirage drive ....... Or both together giving you the ultimate flexibility in power, speed and stealth. A bunch of guys on here have them set up that way.

After reading MM's comments I did some searching. Does look like the 403 makes for a pretty simple install. I had no idea you could connect it to the steering drum. I stick by my statement "Wow, neither is inexpensive.", but that is just because I am a poor SOB who has already spent way to much of my money on this addiction. Also, the thought of having the mirage drive in at the same time and easily being able to raise and lower the motor make it almost a no brainer compared to the others.

But where are you going to mount your Power-pole? :)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STLKayak wrote:
Memory Maker wrote:

After reading MM's comments I did some searching. Does look like the 403 makes for a pretty simple install. I had no idea you could connect it to the steering drum. I stick by my statement "Wow, neither is inexpensive.", but that is just because I am a poor SOB who has already spent way to much of my money on this addiction. Also, the thought of having the mirage drive in at the same time and easily being able to raise and lower the motor make it almost a no brainer compared to the others.

......., you are right ....... It ain't cheap but it's totally worth. I'm probably the hardest guy to convince ......... Especially since I've fished electric only lakes for decades before I got into salt water. Chad Hoover let me use one and it took me 2 trips to be totally convinced years ago. Now I have two of them and I'm willing to take people out so they can see the same thing so they are not buying blind. ........ I'm in Baltimore though.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Memory Maker wrote:
STLKayak wrote:
Memory Maker wrote:

......., you are right ....... It ain't cheap but it's totally worth. I'm probably the hardest guy to convince ......... Especially since I've fished electric only lakes for decades before I got into salt water. Chad Hoover let me use one and it took me 2 trips to be totally convinced years ago. Now I have two of them and I'm willing to take people out so they can see the same thing so they are not buying blind. ........ I'm in Baltimore though.

Hey memory maker, do you ever fish rocky gorge or tridelphia? I just bought a new pa14 and was hoping to meet up with some other marylanders to do some fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

....... Sometimes ......... Join Snaggedline.com ........... Tell them Memory Maker showed you the site .......... There are a couple thousand yak fishermen in the Chesapeake area and a bunch fish there all the time. We also have meet and greet fishing trips every month and always someone to fish with in a 5 state plus area. Pm me your # and I'll call ya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just spent a month rainbow trout flyfishing in B.C. Canada, 7 days a week, averaging 8-10 hours a day with my Bassyaks motor. It was fantastic, I love the hands free steering, top speed was about 4.7mph sog. I'm using two AGM 32ah gel batteries in parallel that fit in the front hatch. (The tackle tray still fits)
The batteries lasted a day no problem but I tried to avoid full speed and cruise at about 50%.
When I was camping with hookups I used the cart to wheel the boat to the motorhome to charge but at the second lake there was no power and no convenient shore access so I used a portable generator to charge up lakeside.
I'm pretty happy with it , installing the kit took a little planning but it worked out great.

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, thanks for all the lengthy replies n advise guys. You gave me all the intel I was looking for n more. So thanks veryyy much. You can take the weekend off now, just tell em Wyomingjet says so.lol
I am sitting eating asap so I can get out n mount my new Torqeedo 403 Ultralight bad boy mounted. Got a fresh one out of Germany n happy I waited now, an at $1699.00 n free shipping an great service. Call Nancy at below stats, going offline she'll be in a better postion to help you on price. Hurry cus the word is out that Chicago got their shipment. She was great to deal with n sweetie too. I sure wish,,, lol. Never mind, best get to fishing mindset.lol. Tell her Ty said she'd treat ya right n she will.

She has em listed on ebay for 1799.00 n free shipping an has a excellent history of service n sales. An yes I checked her out 99%. Yet, like any gal, proceed at your own risk,,, lol

I'll come back n put up some pictures asap. Made a steeling knob at 1 1/2"od n feels awesome as your hand can rest all day on it if need be. Other ideas I think some may want to see as well. I can't say how much your thoughts influenced my decision on the 403. They all are good overall, but footprint an designs n weight were 99% a Go.

SLT, if you were my friend you'd have one. Just go buy one n cry later. It's always worth it when you need it. I got ome as a safety aspects as my spine is blown out n walk some with a cane. Not a proud moment but it's life for myself.
An we both are 60ish n legs aren't where they should be but will get there soon. We haven't done much in the way of fun for 4yrs cuz we had to babysit our pastor builder friend an got took bigtime. So after 248k its finally done n no he didn't finish it. He left our entire home n shop open to the environment for 2yrs. Longgg story n sad. Never hire a pastor nor someone you trusted as a friend, an I share the blame cuz I listened to my wife that he wasn't a crook. 3rd time with a pastor related incident an the Last.
Anyhow, waaaaaaaaa :o :lol:

I would go buy one n not look back n enjoy your life. Why work everyday if you can't enjoy a small portion of it? I sold most everything I had invested, cuz it isn't getting better n it's a rigged system out there,,, So I say go get one today. :mrgreen:

I best get gang, wil come back soon. Ty
HOME
ABOUT
PRODUCTS
LEARN
LINKS
CONTACT
360 MILES

MORE >

The Electric Marina, Inc. St. Petersburg, FL 727.517.5330 email:[email protected]

MORE >

The Electric Marina, Inc. St. Petersburg, FL 727.517.5330 email:[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi wyomingjet,
Just wanted to know if you purchased the latest one. The battery has a USB port and I think they call it 404 (not sure)
Last week I was talking to Torqeedo and was told they will release the latest 404 middle of July. It looks like they already started shipping. I'll ask Nancy tomorrow before I change my mind because of the price.

To all,
Just my two cents. Doing a DIY like the Bassyak, you are not tied up to one company during the maintenance period. Unlike Torqeedo, Once you or once I buy It, i believed I will be forever torqeefo customer not unless I decide to switch to a regular TM like the Bassyak. When Bassyak motor breaks, all I have to do is look for a used TM and attach to the Bassyak mount and I'm back in business. Same when battery dies, All I have to do is go to local Battery plus store and I'm back in business. And they are cheap but but but not as beautiful as the Torqeedo. Is there anyone here having thoughts about buying all the Torqeedo mounting hardwares and attach a lightweight watersnake motor. It's about 330 to 350 To buy all Torqeedo hardware mount plus watersnake for 119 dollars or your existing minnkota 30 lb trust. And maybe add a Lithium battery for a prize of 600.00. So it seems the total will be 1000.00. Hmmm too close Torqeedo prize of 1700.00.

In my opinion, if 1700.00 is not a deal breaker for you then it's a no brainier . I would go for Torqeedo.if it breaks and expensive to fix then I guess you could attach a regular lightweight TM.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just spoke to Nancy and yes they are now selling the latest Torqeedo with USB in the battery.
Existing Owners might want to add one of this propeller guard I found in Facebook. Torqeedo sells one but expensive. This one is a DIY propeller guard.

https://goo.gl/photos/byT27uNJfCrTaqY99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My bad. I spoke to Nancy again and I was told that her stock are 1403 which is not the latest. The one with USB port in the battery (1404) are not yet available. I guess that gives me more time to research and convince myself not to buy it . :lol: