Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can see the addiction already starting in me. I have yet to purchase a 2016 PA14 but have already been planning out my build. I have a few questions regarding certain aspects of the boat.

Firstly I will start with fish finders. I am wanting to go with a Lowrance Elite-5 TI with total scan. I have seen different ways to mount the transducer but I am conflicted on which way to do it. I have thought about mounting it to the ready system but am worried about damaging the transducer. Or I can mount it at the stern using a ram mount setup, but I would rather not have wiring running through my cargo area. I am unaware if there is a thru hull plug around the stern of the craft and cutting a hole into a brand new $3k piece of equipment makes me cringe. I would rather just buy a new lowrance ready plate for 10 bucks. Any suggestions would be great (or talk me out of a total scan system lol).
Also in regards to electronics, I have seen that the only way to mount a battery (using Hobie's accessories) is at the sail mount post. With the battery mounted is there still room for the bow container to fit in the compartment? I would hate to lose that storage space just for a small battery.

My second question is the Livewell XL. I am really liking the space that is has, and with me living on the gulf coast of Florida I am going to try and do some big game fishing. I have seen issues regarding the switch malfunctioning and have yet to see a permanent fix for the issue. Will Hobie have a "recall" on said switch if the product is bought before the repair by the manufacture is in production?
I am also going to be moving my kayak around so I will be buying a dolly. I would like to use the scrubber tubes to secure it but I suppose with the livewell I won't be able to. Behind the seat is probably the best I assume?

Anyways thanks anyone for reading and answering. I am sure I will have more to come.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Srs678,

PM sent. If you have any questions in general, my email is in that PM. I fish the Gulf as well. Headed to Pine Island Sound, FL next month to kayak fish for tarpon, snook, reds and anything else 9 of us can catch. Bucket list trip. 8 days and 7 nights. 8 Pro Anglers and 1 Outback in the group.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In regards to the TotalScan, check out the link below. This over-the-side mount is the only current recommendation by Hobie Cat for mounting the TotalScan transducer to one of our kayaks(follow the link below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVb03zR ... R8&index=1

Mounting the battery (even two) to the mast receiver inside the bow hatch of the PA 14 will not interfere with the hatch liner.

As for the Livewell XL, they are currently on back order with no ETA for the new ones with an updated switch. If you currently have a Livewell XL with a bad switch, contact your dealer and they will be able to take care of you when the new switches become available.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as a cart:

For a plug in style cart for the PA 14, we recommend the Hobie Trax "2-30" (especially when transporting your cart over sand). If you plan on storing this cart on your kayak when carrying a Livewell XL, you won't be able to plug it into the scuppers behind the seat.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am looking at upgrading from my current Elite-4 Chirp to the Elite-7 Ti - if i was buying for the first time, I would probably buy the 5 Ti but i cannot justify the incremental increase in screen size from 4 to 5. And I like the 7 because I really do want the increase in screen size, and the option of using the total scan transducer. I already have the 83/200/455/800 HDI Transducer installed in my 2016 PA for the Elite-4 Chirp, and it is compatible with both the Elite-5 and 7 Ti's plus the RAM mounts for both the Elite-4, 5 Ti and 7 Ti are compatible. I want to mount the Total Scan Transducer the way HStrech indicated/suggested in the video on the RAM transducer arm making it removable and stowable. This will give me the option of using the Total Scan when i want, and to leave it in the front hatch when i don't and just use the HDI transducer.

I have found that the screen size of the 4 i currently have, though fine for Sonar is less than great for Down Scan and hard to follow for Navigation especially using the detailed Navionics chips, especially in split screen mode. This is all arguable and based on personal preference, but isn't everything?

Go buy the PA as soon as you can, you will not be disappointed. As an avid fisherman, kayak fisherman, but new to Hobie, I cannot tell you what a pleasure this boat is to own. Worth every penny, and kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

to answer your battery mounting question. In the Hobie battery kit, the mount has a slight curve in it. This is so that you can mount it sideways in the round hatch in the rear.

To answer your total scan transducer question. There's several people online(Facebook Hobie Pages) making these mounts/guards for the lowrance totalscan ducer. I got mine for $50 and they are usually made out of kydex or nylon

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards