Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a pretty decent mountain bike and am sold on the cleaner I use. Put it on the rag, and run the chain thru it to clean the dirt off, then on each link, let it set, and then take the excess off with a dry lint free rag. Anyone else use bike chain lube? I have seen mixed messages on the Forum from Break Pad Cleaner to WD40 to Hobies own. What is the general consensus or is there one, on the best cleaner/lube to keep this thing going.

That said, I am shocked how well that chain, and the Mirage Drive in general, has held up after the torture I have put it thru in the last almost 6 months. The darn thing looks and works almost as good as new with minimal maintenance, and just a hosing off, every other trip to three.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STL,

I use Break Free CLP. It works great for me. I fish saltwater several times a month now and always thoroughly rinse the drive when I get home. I usually lubricate it with the Break free CLP about once a month. Even the drive from the 2013 PA looks and works great after several years of use. No squeeks or issues.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am 
Site Admin

mmiller wrote:
HOBIE MULTI-LUBE

A planet-safe lubricant recommended for lubricating MirageDrives and many other uses. Environmentally friendly for in-the-water applications. Hobie Multi-Lube offers excellent lubrication, is an anti corrosive coating, great for cleaning and many other uses... use on nearly anything that squeaks, rusts, corrodes or binds up; MirageDrives, rudder drums, cams, fishing reels and more. The 1 oz size is perfect for getting the lubricant into tight spaces by using the needle applicator. The 4 oz size has a spray applicator for coating chains and larger surfaces, shafts and bulky parts. Every Hobie owner should have Hobie Multi-Lube.

Be nice to our planet, keep MirageDrives and other components running smoothly and lasting longer without polluting our waterways. Use it for all shop, home and sport lubrication needs.

5120 HOBIE MULTI LUBE 1 OZ
5121 HOBIE MULTI LUBE 4 OZ

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That name has to change. People might start using it for non-mechanical purposes. Especially since it is safe for the environment. (Need to get my head out of the gutter.)

I am going to head to BassPro and Cabelas after work, guess I will also l stop by my Hobie Shop (Tri-State Trolling Motor) and pick up a bottle - it is located between the two anyway. Might as well use what you recommend.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Well... it would be safe for what ever you want to use it for I'm sure... :) Guys who make this stuff made me taste it. It is primarily Mineral Oil.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)