Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How much do wakes from other watercraft have on a pa14? Has anyone been swamped from the wake of another sport vessel? I've not been on a pa14 yet, but plan on getting one. Just wondering how much we need to be aware of wakes from other boats??? I've been on smaller power boats that required proactive action to avoid a dangerous situation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don't have a PA, but neighbor does.

However, my Mirage and Oasis can take close to a 4 ft wake if head on, but will get a bit wet. If it's a rolling wake... being a bit further from a large boat, it can take it sideways and just roll with it.

I kayak in the inter coastal of west FL, and get some wakes on occasion, but mostly less than 2 to 3 ft, and almost a non issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A lot depends on your experience in a kayak if any. If your new to kayaking, even the PA might seem tippy in the beginning. With time comes experience and a lot of this becomes a non-issue. Anyway it goes, it is always important to have situational awareness when you in your kayak.

I was on the Mississippi river a few weeks ago. A couple of barges passed in the near distance, but it was 15 minutes later that the wall of water made it across the river. I was ready for it, and it was hardly an event, but pretty impressive to watch what looked like a tidal wave coming at me.

The Hobie PA is exceptionally stable for a kayak. Its stability blows my old kayak out of the water. But it takes time in the kayak to be comfortable. And you should always pay attention to the conditions around you.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds good. About what I was expecting. I am a big believer in working up to more hazardous activity. Like don't make your first driftboat trip on the snake river or Grand Canyon. I plan on starting with salmon fishing and sticking with the edges/shelves of the river. And staying away from the areas that have 50 boats anchored. I'm looking forward to beach launch and avoiding the boat ramp zoo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

joecool911 wrote:
Sounds good. About what I was expecting. I am a big believer in working up to more hazardous activity. Like don't make your first driftboat trip on the snake river or Grand Canyon. I plan on starting with salmon fishing and sticking with the edges/shelves of the river. And staying away from the areas that have 50 boats anchored. I'm looking forward to beach launch and avoiding the boat ramp zoo.

Your going to love it! The PA is an amazing kayak. I did not pull the trigger until April of this year. Should have done it a lot sooner! Good luck, though it does not seem your going to need it.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello

If it helps, I'm on a small lake that's a thoroughfare in cottage country. I've often had big 30-50' boats go by with no regard to the little man powered vehicle out paddling away. I've not had a problem with their wakes, even the iffy looking ones. Hanging tight, don't you or your cargo move around, and going at them at 3/4's is good to ride them, they may break over the bow but not upend you. Cross wakes are tricky but I think it's in my head that they are going to be bad. Keep the seat down for a lower center of gravity. The only thing I've turned around on is choppy weather which my lake can get like - it's wet and you're always on guard. That said, I don't keep tight to the shores like I see other regular kayakers do and often had to cross the channel of the big boats (you can tell when a lock's been released). Actually, there's an area where the boats converge in a small funnel area before having to slow down, I guess I was nervous there because of their waves and limited area to turn into them without getting into traffic so there's that.

I've no prior experience with kayaks and still can't believe some takes these into the ocean - for the getting in and out part anyway.

Beach launches for the win, cottage country boat ramps suck and you have a bunch of impatient people watching you... If your city has roads that end at the water, check to see if there is parking at them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One lake I fish during the summer has a lot of wake boarders. I've had them come within 20 yards of me. While it's not fun, I haven't yet felt in danger of tipping, even during those times that I have not been able to point the bow the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FWIW, truly large boat wakes are predictable and can usually be easily handled by turning into them as they approach. I fish Lake Michigan in an area frequented by bulk carrier freighters. These range from 300 - 1000 ft and obviously displace a lot of water. I don't get too close of course, but their wakes will carry for miles. I find that the PA rides these like a cork, just rising up and down without too much lateral push. Larger boats can take a real beating though, since their mass and inertia compete with these large waves. The only place I have trouble is coming in on a breaking surf. If you get turned slightly, the PA can swing broadside and broach. I am always in awe of the "Beyond the Breakers" kayak angler's who fight this going out and coming in and think nothing of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You know you're up for a big wake when the shoreline recedes for a bit. Seen it caused by big ships.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Having both the pa14 and the outback I can attest the pa takes waves sideways way worse than the OB. That pa is so wide it rocks far. I keep my head on a swivel in both yaks but the pa I also try and position the bow at the incoming wake / waves. The OB I don't worry about it as much. The pa is super stable but the rocking is more fierce IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pa14naz wrote:
Having both the pa14 and the outback I can attest the pa takes waves sideways way worse than the OB. That pa is so wide it rocks far. I keep my head on a swivel in both yaks but the pa I also try and position the bow at the incoming wake / waves. The OB I don't worry about it as much. The pa is super stable but the rocking is more fierce IMO.

Thats the primary vs secondary stability issue. The more primary the more the yak tries to stay perpendicular to the water, ie as water slopes so does yak and so rocks. Secondary allows yak to edge in to a wave, ie stay more vertical, so you may swamp more but rock less.

The outback is a well balanced compromise, and hence why it is so popular

Short small choppy waves primary is good, but once you start to get bigger waves or swell secondary is best.