Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A thing about your cart: do you have the older style plug-in cart without the collars on the uprights? The collars should provide plenty of clearance for the crossbar to clear the TotalScan. If not, you can adjust them up/down on the uprights to allow the crossbar to clear the TotalScan. Also, with your Elite 5Ti make sure if you're not using the wireless comms on the unit, you go into your settings turn those features off...this will give you more run-time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
Your feedback has been noted...curious if your Hobie battery may be nearing the end of its life cycle? We recently tested the Elite 5Ti here at Hobie HQ with the TotalScan running side imaging, up & down sonar, and GPS on full brightness. We managed to get 10+ hours of run time on a fresh battery. Interesting.

Man I hope not! I just got it last week at my local Hobie dealer, new in box! Is there any way to tell? I do have another battery in my PA14 running a hook4. I could always try that battery. I am going to go back to my local Hobie dealer tomorrow to show them what I am talking about regarding the cart. She want's me to look at a larger cart they have. My thought right now is that it could be manufactured in a way to work if the cross bar was lower, the vertical rod was longer, or a little bit of both. It would still work on kayaks without a totalscan transducer and just carry a slightly higher center of gravity.
Thanks for response HStrech!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
A thing about your cart: do you have the older style plug-in cart without the collars on the uprights? The collars should provide plenty of clearance for the crossbar to clear the TotalScan. If not, you can adjust them up/down on the uprights to allow the crossbar to clear the TotalScan. Also, with your Elite 5Ti make sure if you're not using the wireless comms on the unit, you go into your settings turn those features off...this will give you more run-time.

I do have the older style and I am using PVC under the collars to get the wheels away from the hull. Unfortunately I can not go any higher as the cross pin in the top will no longer be able to be inserted. I am as close as I can get on the top for inserting the pin and there is still not enough clearance. Do the newer carts have longer vertical bars? If so I may just get a second cart.

Edit to add: I had already turned off my wireless as I had read that can kill power. I also verified it was off yesterday when my 5ti was running out of juice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just to update regarding the totalscan transducer and cart clearance on a PA12. I went to my local dealer Friday. The new Hobie 2-30 cart did work with no problems. This cart in comparison to mine has longer vertical bars so there is enough clearance between the lower frame and the transducer. So anyone who wants this transducer make sure you get the right cart! A bit of a negative to buy a new cart but it had to be if I wanted to use the cart on the rear scupper holes.
Regarding the Hobie battery I didn't run it totally dead but at 4hrs and 15 minutes the Lowrance voltage gauge was reading 11.8v. From what I have found this is to the point where it is almost dead. Gonna try my other battery to see if there are any better results.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is there a special plug for the harness of the Elite 7 Ti for where it comes through the side of the deck ? I just purchased this unit and i am trying to gather up everything i need for mounting it......or is a suitable plug in the pack that comes with the PA when new ?...would also like to know which Ram quick click fit it as ACK only has one for the Elite 5 listed...Thanks !...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is anyone using the Elite 7TI for ice fishing in the winter? What is the best conversion kit for this unit?

This is what I found online http://www.cabelas.ca/product/72196/low ... e-kit-pack

Just looking for some input prior to purchase.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
Your feedback has been noted...curious if your Hobie battery may be nearing the end of its life cycle? We recently tested the Elite 5Ti here at Hobie HQ with the TotalScan running side imaging, up & down sonar, and GPS on full brightness. We managed to get 10+ hours of run time on a fresh battery. Interesting.

exact same results on run time here on my elite 5Ti, but using a deer feeder battery 7ah or 8ah cant remember

Yak9107 wrote:
Is there a special plug for the harness of the Elite 7 Ti for where it comes through the side of the deck ? I just purchased this unit and i am trying to gather up everything i need for mounting it......or is a suitable plug in the pack that comes with the PA when new ?...would also like to know which Ram quick click fit it as ACK only has one for the Elite 5 listed...Thanks !...

elite 7 should use the exact same mount as the 5. you route the wires included with the ff through the hull fitting mounted on your yak, if you have the old style grommet i recommend going to the 3 way through hull mount (included on my 2017 model) to allow all 3 wires to enter the hull
part # 86505613 $18.99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yak9107 wrote:

The 7 Ti uses the same quick connect as the Hook 4 and 5 units. Ironically, the Hook 7 uses a different mount system.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Its in already....pretty nice unit...a bit exaggerated on the "Structurescan HD" me thinks but for the price i'll take it..I got the 7" brand new with totalscan for $650 shipped ....my little 4x DSI i had in it produced the same amount of "HD" this unit does, maybe even a little better....without the side scan of course...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yak9107, wow, you got the lowrance 7ti with totalscan transducer for $650 shipped???