Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lowrance Elite Ti Units
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone put these on their kayaks?

If so do you have pictures

My biggest question is anyone using the new Lowrance ready unit Hobie just came out with.
That and Berly Pro both strike my interest.

My biggest concern is putting the kayak in and out of the bed of my truck and messing up the transducer or the kayak not laying flat.

I am very OCD and do not like things hanging off the side or the back of my kayak either.

All pictures are appreciated!!!

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a photo of a TotalScan mounted to the bottom of a Hobie Mirage Drive kayak...notice the scoop that seats the nose of the transducer. This helps with avoiding damage to the transducer during the landing and loading process, while leaving the transducer open for optimal side imaging performance. As for the Elite 5 Ti or Elite 7 Ti head unit, it mounts easily to all of our kayaks using RAM mounts. 1" RAM ball recommended for the Elite 5Ti, and 1.5" RAM ball recommended for the Elite 7Ti.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Elite-7 Ti and Hobie Totalscan Transducer mount are being delivered tomorrow from ACK. I trailer my PA14, so damaging the transducer while loading and unloading are not a big issue for me. I dip my trailer and float the PA on and off, and already verified that I have plenty of clearance for the TotalScan. I will shoot and post some pics of the install. I can hardly wait, like a kid on Christmas Eve!

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm using the Lowrance Elite 7Ti with TotalScan.

I started with a transducer mount I built myself (like the one Hobie came out with now)

Since I often launch from public concrete launches, I switched to the BerleyPro because I found I was scraping the transducer. The BerleyPro gives the transducer some protection.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mtmouse wrote:
Since I often launch from public concrete launches, I switched to the BerleyPro because I found I was scraping the transducer. The BerleyPro gives the transducer some protection.

MM - I came across a rift between two of my strip pit lakes... high water was washing over a land bridge between two of the lakes, and I would have had to only drag my PA about 10 feet over inches of water to go from one lake to another. I didn't because i was afraid of damaging the TotalScan. Is the BerleyPro tough enough to hold up to some dragging? You really don't notice any issues impedance wise using that full cover?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

STLKayak wrote:

MM - I came across a rift between two of my strip pit lakes... high water was washing over a land bridge between two of the lakes, and I would have had to only drag my PA about 10 feet over inches of water to go from one lake to another. I didn't because i was afraid of damaging the TotalScan. Is the BerleyPro tough enough to hold up to some dragging? You really don't notice any issues impedance wise using that full cover?

The BerleyPro can take some abuse and I haven't noticed a difference in the image quality. I only switched because I was noticing scrape marks on the transducer with my own mount (same as the Hobie one).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have StructureScan/Side Imaging screen shots of Elite Ti using the TotalScan transducer with either the Lowrance or BerleyPro mount?

The screen shots posted on the BerleyPro website (https://www.berleypro.com/tag/transducer/) are poor quality because of the dark shadow for distances farther than 10 to 20ft to the side likely caused by the sides obscured by the Hobie Hull (see below).

You can see that the TotalScan transducer is below the hull for protection, but the near horizontal pulses will be blocked by the hull.

I am hoping that I don't have to mount the transducer to the back of my new Hobie ProAngler12 like I did on my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 12 Angler

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those screen shots are with the units displaying metres and not feet BTW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John_h wrote:

Good point and that's definitely better. I would love to see some great side image screen shots confirming it works well. I certainly like how the transducer mounts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kayakangler wrote:
John_h wrote:

Good point and that's definitely better. I would love to see some great side image screen shots confirming it works well. I certainly like how the transducer mounts.

Here is a little video I did.

https://youtu.be/bwkR3RJ08Hs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mtmouse wrote:
kayakangler wrote:
John_h wrote:

Here is a little video I did.

https://youtu.be/bwkR3RJ08Hs

Thanks Mtmouse!

This is exactly what I was looking for... StructureScan side imaging of a shallow depth (~6 ft) extending out over 50 ft. Looks good to me out to 80 ft with no dark shadowing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mtmouse wrote:
I'm using the Lowrance Elite 7Ti with TotalScan.

I started with a transducer mount I built myself (like the one Hobie came out with now)

Does the HD cart fit in to it without the cross bar making contact with the BerleyPro cover ? Thanks...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a berley pro and had my total scan mounted to the bottom of the mount plate before that. It's a 2016 pa14. I'll try and take some pics this Saturday if I get out. It might even look a little better with the berley because it mounts the transducer at a more level angle than it was on the old hobie plate. Either way it doesn't hinder it in any way and it gives you a lot of protection for your $300 transducer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just a heads up for everybody. I just installed a Lowrance 5ti on my 2017 Hobie PA12. I used the new Hobie plate. The scupper cart will no longer work in the rear skupper holes as it hits the transducer. Due to the extra space the transducer adds, I can no longer put the pin in the top of the cart to hold it in place. It also puts quite a bit of weight on the transducer if you try and hold the cart in place. It does look as if the cart would still work the same for a pa14 with a totalscan transducer however you have to use the front scupper holes with a pa12.
This does make it more work when loading in the back of the truck! Kinda depressed about the whole deal, not to mention the 5ti eats the Hobie battery fast!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your feedback has been noted...curious if your Hobie battery may be nearing the end of its life cycle? We recently tested the Elite 5Ti here at Hobie HQ with the TotalScan running side imaging, up & down sonar, and GPS on full brightness. We managed to get 10+ hours of run time on a fresh battery. Interesting.