Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw where STLKayak had mounted the 9 inch H-Rail Kit (basically the stern handle) behind his seat on the PA14 to mount his H-Rail Tackle Tray. I liked that idea, but I have a Livewell XL and while that might have worked great when I was not carrying the livewell and using the YakAttack Blackpak, it would get in the way of the livewell having to utilize the rear scuppers.

I ordered the 21 inch H-Rail kit and the parts came in on Thursday. I didn't want to have to use a hacksaw to cut the pieces as it's difficult to cut a perfect vertical cut. After giving up on other cutting methods, I ended up cutting the pieces with a hacksaw and then grinding the ends with a Dremel tool so they would fit as flush as possible to the PVC elbows.

The clearance for the lumbar support isn't a whole lot, but I tested the angle and I can recline the seat more if I don't have the tackle boxes in and use the tray top. I can now utilize the Tackle Tray here versus the outside H-Rails and have room for the Livewell XL when needed.

I liked the idea of the vertical pieces of H-Rail, I used an H-Rail mounting plate to ensure the vertical pieces were secure at the best orientation to allow adding H-Rail accessories to them if needed in the future. I think it turned out well and I will test it out in the morning in the Gulf. If I don't hook the Tackle Tray, I can utilize the rail for other accessories as well.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it looks freaking awesome. Want to see how it works out for you. You taking the Livewell with you tomorrow?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STLKayak wrote:
I think it looks freaking awesome. Want to see how it works out for you. You taking the Livewell with you tomorrow?

I think it's a keeper! I took my Blackpak today. I have a charity kayak tournament this coming weekend in Jacksonville and will pre-fish on Friday. I haven't decided on whether I'll take the livewell as I might just fish 100% artificial. Had a red that probably went 30 inches drag me around this morning. The hook came free right before I could slide the net under it. Bummer! I really wanted to get that one in the boat to measure...lol! It hit a Spook topwater lure.

Ended up catching 5 other reds, 7 trout, 3 long nose gar, 4 ladyfish, 2 catfish and one dinky needle fish. It was an enjoyable day in the Gulf. I got out just in time before the big thunder boomers moved in.

Here's the setup with the Livewell XL in place. There are days where I wouldn't take the Tackle Tray. If I'm fishing live bait and need the livewell, then I'll take the Tackle Tray as I lose the extra storage the BlackPak provides. I could use the new railing for storage rod holders, umbrella mount, night light or camera post mount if needed.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used the Tackle Tray in conjunction with the YakAttack Blackpak this past weekend. I thought I would post a shot of that configuration for folks wanting to do the same.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice job Steve! Wish I would have used the 21" version instead of the 9" one on my install! Either way, it really does require monkey arms to get the bolts on the screws behind the seat!

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STLKayak wrote:
Nice job Steve! Wish I would have used the 21" version instead of the 9" one on my install! Either way, it really does require monkey arms to get the bolts on the screws behind the seat!

I guess I have a decent reach! :lol: I put a little marine Goop around the nylon nut and then stuck it to the washer so both pieces would hold together. I was able to thread that on the end of the bolts. Then using a screwdriver on top and a ratchet, extension and socket, I tightened it all down. It's strong enough to mount rod holders on and use them for trolling if needed. There is a very small amount of flex, but that's due to where it's mounted. The side rails are way more solid feeling.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve, any way I can get the lengths of the pieces that you cut? I am wanting to rig up the same way, just not sure how long the top horizontal piece is or the two vertical side pieces?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Top piece is 10 inches long. Vertical pieces are 4 inches long. Cut the remainder into even pieces for the bottom horizontal sections (1.5 inches each). The bottom horizontal pieces don't have to be very long. The inside of the black Hobie rail bases are shaped like the rail, so the small sections will not rotate. I didn't consider drilling a screw into the bottom of the bases up into the small railing sections. I built it first, then set it behind the seat so I could mark the holes to drill. If you make this, it sits where a Boonedox Landing gear would mount. So keep that in mind. :D

The small round PVC pieces are super glued to the elbows. No need to glue to the H-Rail materiel if you just drill the holes and use stainless screws. It tightens up well. My first pictures were based on glue in one position. I noticed the glue didn't hold well. So that when I drilled the holes and use the screws. The bottom base screw is one hole in the metal, but 2 holes in the PVC internally. I remove the screw, tilt it to the second position, then replace the screw. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks brother. I'll get the piece next week and build it. I see it resides where the Boondox landing gear bar would sit. I am not sure I'll get these because I back the trailer in the water 99% of the time.