Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler 17T solo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to use this as a platform for photography. I would primarily be peddling this solo. How big of a push is this thing if you are by yourself? If one got in to any kind of wind or waves, is it a beast to handle? It looks so stable for photography with enough room to move around in/on. I am a pretty big dude with cycling legs...old ones but they still work.

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler 17T solo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Although more ideal with two people, a single person can peddle the 17T just fine. Our advice would be to move the seat to the center if you're peddling alone. This will even out the displacement and give you the best ride.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have all the same questions about the 17t . I have seen a few people use the 17t solo on You-Tube. https://youtu.be/sR01QZqJS5s

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies.

The reasoning I am leaning towards the 17T is the kind of water I will be in. If I am taking $14K worth of camera gear on to a boat, it will be calm waters. I would imagine the 17T would be difficult for a solo rider in wind, waves and swells.

Thoughts??

BUZZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK folks. I took the plunge a few months ago and got the Pro Angler 17T.
To put it bluntly, this thing is amaze balls.
I have had it out at least 10 times in two months in all sorts of conditions.
I have been solo and with others.
Here is what I think.
If you are solo in this, it is no problem to get around. Once you get it going, it glides quite well with the hull design. It does feel a bit like a battle ship turning it. I can get it going quite well by myself. I did add the sail kit. Now, this changes everything. Don't think of the sail kit as, "I'm taking my yak for a sail". Think of it as another person in the kayak with you...one that does not get tired! I use the sail kit as an assist in getting to where I want to go. You may have to tack every once and awhile to get there, but you will get there efficiently.
If you are with another person, this thing performs very well. I have been with another in some quite choppy/ white caps lake water and it did very well. The kayak remains very stable if steered properly for the wave action. The front person will get a little wet with splash but you are not rolling around at all. Two people can get this yak going quite fast. Enough to make you giggle at how fast you are going. More importantly, you are able to peddle longer with your legs, rather than a traditional paddler in a kayak.
I have taken my kayak out for some kayak back country camping a few times. It should be considered a boat of choice for this purpose. It takes a lot of gear and remains stable. My brother and I had close to 650 lbs load and we barely noticed the difference in peddling.

I am available to answer any questions for those who are thinking of getting one of these. I am in no way affiliated with Hobie.

BUZZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

X2.

Since i have a TI also the 17T is now on winter duty. As soon as the water is too cold to tolerate i will take everything off the TI and rig the PA with it and hoist the TI to the ceiling for the winter. My wife and i love the social seating. We can bs while i fish. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Further to my 17T experience. As mentioned, I have the sail kit with my 17T. For the first few times I have used the sail to assist in getting to where I needed to go, I noticed it was difficult to maintain a steady heading. If I stopped peddling and relied on wind power alone, it was difficult to stay straight. This is because the sail is rigged fairly close to the bow of the yak. All that wind power pushing/pulling on the bow pushes the bow away from where you want to go...even with the skeg and rudder trying their best. Following the advice of Glenmore Sails in Calgary, I mounted the second mirage drive in the furthest forward slot and locked it in the down mode. In effect, this creates another rather large skeg. Now this thing tracks beautifully through the water. I can now get around with wind power only. You may have to peddle a bit when tacking to get the bow around but it is a major improvement in navigation.
Happy yaking all.

BUZZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Buzz,
I stumbled upon this same solution. Made sense to me, as you say the sail pushes the bow making steering a challenge. I bungied the pedals upward so the fins were down and it made a very effective keel right where you need one. And with the drive in the front well it allows you to travel up-wind with less pedaling than without the sail. Really adds to the fun. You must pedal especially when tacking. In brisk winds this allows you to steer into the gust to lighten the load on the sail. Less work for sure.
Happy Trails
Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How did you wind up rigging the sheet for the sail? I have a 17T and just picked up the sail/furling kit and am trying to figure out the best way to do it without interfering with the rear seating area.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey thedude130, not sure what you are asking. The furling kit is a straight forward install. I would change the angle they have in the instructions to allow the lines to move a little more freely.
As far as "without interfering with the rear seating area", I am not sure what you are getting at. You have to be solo to use the sail kit. If you have someone in the bow seat, you will not be able to use the sail at all. When you are solo, I have only ever been in the middle seat area leaving the stern area for storage of gear. I do run my line to a small block attached to that small black D-ring on the stern, then bring the line forward for me to handle. I am not sure that answers your question.

BUZZ