Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I was able to do some side by side testing last week in a pond on the base where I work. The Berley Pro transducer plate for the Humminbird does indeed cause some interference! I know they claim that it doesn't but there are clear differences in image quality when comparing the transducer picture in the Berley Pro adapter plate and when using a transducer deployment arm. Since I have two of the same side imaging transducers I was able to simply unplug one and plug the other in to get definitive side by side comparisons while on the water with the same settings on the head unit.

I started with the transducer on the deployment arm over the side so that I could dial in the sensitivity and contrast settings to get the best possible picture. Once I had the settings where I wanted them and some solid bottom contours to look at I swapped the cables and plugged in the transducer that was installed under the boat using the Berley Pro adapter plate. I could still see the bottom contours and laydowns that I had marked previously however the returns were all much less defined. Even just the bottom (I was using the same color palette as the above example pics in this thread) went from being a strong amber return to being mostly black with just faint amber returns from hard objects. I was able to turn up the sensitivity and turn down the contrast to compensate but I'm sure there is still some loss of image quality due to the interference.

I'm undecided on whether or not I'm going to leave my transducer in the Berley Pro mount or move it over the side on a transducer deployment arm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ring King wrote:
So I was able to do some side by side testing last week in a pond on the base where I work. The Berley Pro transducer plate for the Humminbird does indeed cause some interference! I know they claim that it doesn't but there are clear differences in image quality when comparing the transducer picture in the Berley Pro adapter plate and when using a transducer deployment arm. Since I have two of the same side imaging transducers I was able to simply unplug one and plug the other in to get definitive side by side comparisons while on the water with the same settings on the head unit.

I started with the transducer on the deployment arm over the side so that I could dial in the sensitivity and contrast settings to get the best possible picture. Once I had the settings where I wanted them and some solid bottom contours to look at I swapped the cables and plugged in the transducer that was installed under the boat using the Berley Pro adapter plate. I could still see the bottom contours and laydowns that I had marked previously however the returns were all much less defined. Even just the bottom (I was using the same color palette as the above example pics in this thread) went from being a strong amber return to being mostly black with just faint amber returns from hard objects. I was able to turn up the sensitivity and turn down the contrast to compensate but I'm sure there is still some loss of image quality due to the interference.

I'm undecided on whether or not I'm going to leave my transducer in the Berley Pro mount or move it over the side on a transducer deployment arm.

Thanks for confirming that, but I figured as much as there is extra material for the transducer to work through. I'm still undecided on a system, but at times I think I'm putting too much thought into it and should just get out and fish.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ring King wrote:

Is it possible to use the mount without the cover plate?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Berley Pro mount works by using two plastic "straps" that secure the transducer in place against the outer transducer cover plate. I've seen where some folks have modified the stock Lowrance scupper plate using the Hobie Humminbird transducer bracket adapter and actually cut a hole for the transducer to fit down through. The side imaging transducer has to be seated in the plate low enough that the signal isn't impeded so it takes some serious modifications but it can be done. I believe SRAces has pics on this forum of his that is done in this way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I will also say that on my 2017 camo PA14 hull the Berley Pro plate does actually hit the ground when the boat is lying on a flat surface. It's not by much but it definitely scrubs. I built a plywood deck on the back of my truck so that I can haul three PA14s at once and when I load my 2017 onto the plywood deck there is a rub "trail" where the Berley Pro plate drags as I slide the boat forward into place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Those with Mega SI
what battery are you using, size, brand?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tpphan23 wrote:
Those with Mega SI
what battery are you using, size, brand?

I'm using this one.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/y ... attery/d51

I've been out 8+ hours on a single charge with no problems.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used the Hobie lowrance TI mount for my helix 9 transducer, modified to fit flush on the outside of the plate. The problem was it was catching the curvature of the hull resulting in "wavy" returns.

I have since installed the ram arm mount and have no issues and a nice clear picture. I'm guessing the berley pro would also have the issue of not being deep enough in addition to transmission through the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's an update for you guys: I am still using the BerleyPro Plate on my 2017 PA14. I have played with sensitivity and contrast settings to overcome the interference that I initially experienced. I have no issues these days. The Helix 7 doesn't pick up the curvature of the outside sponsons at all. I get clear images of bottom structure, fish, and even the thermocline. I wouldn't hesitate to add another BerleyPro plate to one of my hulls. The only reason I haven't installed one on my wife's 2017 Outback is that the hull design on that boat would leave the plate hanging well below the bottom of the boat and it would rest on the BerleyPro plate anytime the hull was sitting upright on the ground. Otherwise I would have already installed the plate on that boat since I purchased the plate before picking up the new Outback. That hull is still using a Transducer Deployment Arm over the side to hold the side imaging transducer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you send me pictures of the with Berley Pro and with transducer arm?

Andy

Ring King wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you post the settings you are using?

Ring King wrote:
Here's an update for you guys: I am still using the BerleyPro Plate on my 2017 PA14. I have played with sensitivity and contrast settings to overcome the interference that I initially experienced. I have no issues these days. The Helix 7 doesn't pick up the curvature of the outside sponsons at all. I get clear images of bottom structure, fish, and even the thermocline. I wouldn't hesitate to add another BerleyPro plate to one of my hulls. The only reason I haven't installed one on my wife's 2017 Outback is that the hull design on that boat would leave the plate hanging well below the bottom of the boat and it would rest on the BerleyPro plate anytime the hull was sitting upright on the ground. Otherwise I would have already installed the plate on that boat since I purchased the plate before picking up the new Outback. That hull is still using a Transducer Deployment Arm over the side to hold the side imaging transducer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good morning Andy. I got your messages this morning. I'll get a couple pics and post them for you. I don't have the MEGA on my currently hull. I have the Helix 7 Gen2 SI. I can give you some pointers on settings but they will vary depending on your water depth and how much particulates your water has suspended in it. I should be able to get you close to where you need to be though.

I should be getting my new 2018 PA14 in the next week or so and it's getting either the Helix 9 MEGA SI or the Helix 10 MEGA SI. One thing I can definitely tell you is that if you're not using a MEGA unit but you have an Helix SI unit the upgrade to the High Def Side Imaging transducer is worth the money in my opinion. I upgraded mine about a month ago and it was a noticeable difference in picture clarity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I still don't understand why Hobie don't shape a large transducer cavity, and with no air on side ( for the side horizontal waves). :(

This would put an end to all the stuff we need to adapt transducers, and let the hull flat...