Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,everyone. I have a PA 14 and bought a Watersnake 18 trolling motor that i have modified to fit the boat. My question is what size/type of deep cycle battery should i go with? I usually fish San Diego Bay and the Local lakes and spend most of the day on the water. Any suggestions on what / where to purchase batteries would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's so many batteries out there that it's tough to recommend one. A deep cycle marine battery with as high amp hour rating as possible/affordable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm using 8A22NF 55AH 12V Lead Acid AGM's, one fits perfectly laying down in between the scuppers under the seat with a second upright in front of the hatch. I can still fit in the tackle tray or a third battery if I need it. I have two that are gel's and two that are sla's. But they are all sealed and can be laid on their sides. So that gives you 110ah's and an option for 165ah's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Say nyet to lead.

Go with LiFePO4, 1/3 of weight. 2000+ charge cycles. No loss of voltage.

Ebay has plenty of choices. Start with 30AH or 40AH (these are honest AH),
you can always add another one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

deep cycle will either be heavy if you looking at 100ah or you could go with lighter expensive. I've seen lithium go for 600. up for 12volt 100ah that's the lightest I've found. let me know if you found anything better. I live here in SD too. Down the block from Mission Bay.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

deep cycle will either be heavy if you looking at 100ah or you could go with lighter expensive. I've seen lithium go for 600. up for 12volt 100ah that's the lightest I've found. let me know if you found anything better. I live here in SD too. Down the block from Mission Bay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pago619 wrote:
Hey,everyone. I have a PA 14 and bought a Watersnake 18 trolling motor that i have modified to fit the boat. My question is what size/type of deep cycle battery should i go with? I usually fish San Diego Bay and the Local lakes and spend most of the day on the water. Any suggestions on what / where to purchase batteries would be greatly appreciated.

I got a trolling motor battery with case brand new it’s a deep cycle 12V 35AH Light Trolling Motor Battery Sevylor Minn Kota and a dry case all new never used if interested .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I run a 24v 80lb MinnKota PDV2 on two Interstate DC 29's and my outboard, lights, bilge and aerator on a single 29. I don't know if it's in your budget, but take a serious look at a 3 bank on board charger, I have my 3 batteries connected to a Sportmens Dual Pro.

On top of me running it hard for entire days long line trolling crappie, or using it for complete transportation on our smaller reservoirs prohibiting > 10 HP motors, the Arizona heat is tough on batteries. I run one extension cord to the charger when I get home, and all 3 batteries get charged quickly and stay maintained. I have been running this same setup for 5 years and I'll never turn back. I've never had DC batteries last 5 years in AZ.

The only two draw backs, they are heavy and expensive. Even without the 3-bank I think you'll be happy with and made the right decision going with the Interstates. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Food for thought....

I agree with Gamorlat about the quality of Interstate batteries, but adding a DC-29, 61 pound battery, even to a PA-14 requires serious thought.

Any deep cycle battery is heavy. Locating it to maintain a low center of gravity, means using the front storage and that prevents using the storage insert as the battery is too large.

Locating it behind the seat is the only other spot and it raises the CG. Think of the problems righting a PA-14 if you roll over and the battery is still secured to the craft.....not a pretty picture.