Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA14 Cradle Cracking
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I've had my PA14 for right at 2 years, transporting it on the Hobie/Trailex trailer with the PA cradles. I recently notice the rear cradle is cracking on the trailing edge from the pressure/flexing during loading and unloading and there's actually a small piece missing now. Any chance this would be something covered by warranty since I'd think it's normal wear and tear? If not covered any suggestions on the best way to repair it? I was thinking a fiberglass repair kit with maybe one or two layers of mat on the top side then multiple layers on the bottom to build-up/reinforce the back edge to help resist/reduce the flexing.

Post subject: Re: PA14 Cradle Cracking
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Same thing happened to my PA-14 rear cradle. Trailing edge, noticed a crack about 1" long, starting from the rear edge, right side as you look forward. I removed the kayak, sanded down the area around the crack, used JB-Weld, thoroughly reinforced the topside & underside area where the crack is located. When cured, I sanded it & put another layer of JB-Weld, when cured, sanded and painted it white. You can't even tell I did any work to the cradle; looks good as new. It's been several months now and I check it often......still no evidence of any crack ever occurring. I also prepped and JB-Welded the opposite side of the rear cradle, same area where the crack appeared, but on the opposite side......just in case that is a weak area by design. So far, still holding up perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

These are PVC with a UV protection package, but in reality, not like solid fiberglass that lasts forever. They are a cost effective cradle... They may have a shorter life if exposed to UV everyday I'd guess.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
These are PVC with a UV protection package, but in reality, not like solid fiberglass that lasts forever. They are a cost effective cradle... They may have a shorter life if exposed to UV everyday I'd guess.

Matt,

My cradles are less than 1 yr old, and my PA14 is stored on my trailer in my garage. Only time it's exposed to the elements is when I'm out fishing.....and 99% of the time, it's night fishing. I doubt it is the sun that caused that crack. JB Weld did wonders on repairing it though......made it stronger than it was before. :)

Post subject: PA14 Cradle Cracking
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Matt same response here. My cradles are 2 years old but they PA14 stays on the trailer in the garage when not in use. So I'd say the cradles see maybe 20 hours of actual light a month while I'm fishing. After each outing the trailer and yak all get rinsed off real good with fresh water before going back in the garage. Also if the cracking was UV related I'd think it wouldn't be just the rear trailing edge of the back cradle. Instead I think it's repeated flexing as the kayak is loaded/unloaded whether using the wheels or sliding it on/off the trailer on the water. I usually back my trailer down to where the hubs are at water level and when the back of the yak comes off it's usually in 12-24" of water, but it's at an angle and not level with the cradle. You can see the back edge flex a little each time it's loaded/unloaded

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
You can see the back edge flex a little each time it's loaded/unloaded

That would do it I guess. If cracked in the first year... we can replace for you via warranty.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think it was near the end of the first year but not 100% sure and I've already covered the cracks with a layer of Fiberglas mat/resin and reinforced it with more of the same from the underside . I have the Trailex/Hobie trailer and I may look at a way to mount the rear cradle so it can tilt 10-15 degrees during the loading/unloaded process so when loading when you lift the nose onto the cradle it would automatically pivot to the correct angle and then as you pull the yak up to the front cradle it would level out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a PA-14 and a Hobie Trailex Trailer.....I don't have the Hobie cradles but I use 3" Schedule 40 PVC to support the PA.

Per the attached photo, I use 11 degree PVC couplers to help load and unload the PA . You might consider something akin to this idea to lessen the load on the aft Hobie cradle.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:34 am 
Site Admin

We don't recommend the bunk concept. This can push up on the scuppers and distort the deck and bottom.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
You can see the back edge flex a little each time it's loaded/unloaded

That would do it I guess. If cracked in the first year... we can replace for you via warranty.

Naah, too much asspain to remove it, send it back, wait for another set, reinstall it......I'd be without too long. JB Weld fixed it better than new. If it cracks again, I'll use fibeglass sheets and resin to repair & reinforce it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,
I am thinking of covering my cradles in marine bunk carpet. One question: Should I remove the gray foam pieces or glue the carpet over the foam pieces? Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Either should work, but removing the pad means you get a direct glue bond to the cradle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed 2 layers of marine bunk carpet to both of my cradles. Looks good, the PA-14 sits perfect when on top. Not as much friction as the bare cradles, but just enough friction though as to not rupture my gut when trying to slide it back and/or forth a couple inches when hooking her up to the winch strap. I left the rubber foam pieces installed and simply glued the carpet over them; otherwise, there would have been depressions where the foam pieces once resided, leaving exposed bolt heads with nothing but 2 carpet layers covering them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I glued bunk carpet on my aft cradle with 3M industrial spray glue and used it this morning. It appeared to work great and I was able to slide my kayak up on the trailer without any undue effort. However, upon returning home and removing my PA 14, I found the carpet easily pulled off leaving the carpet base still glued to the cradle. I'll clean it up and try again with a different kind of carpet (?). Any suggestions? Does Hobie make thicker foam pads? My rear cradle is cracked too so maybe a new set is in order? Are the new ones different? Mine are a few years old.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:14 am 
Site Admin

No thicker pads available. We used pads instead of carpet as carpet holds sand. Pads can be cleaned.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)