Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

5+ years Ocean Kayak Prowler yak'er finally able to seriously consider a Hobie. Looking at PA14 Vs 17t. I recognize storage/beach entry/weight differences between the two but want the boss (better half) to go with me as often as possible so leaning towards 17t due to versatility. She has asked me how I plan on shading her during these south Louisiana August temps and I haven't been able to provide an answer. It appears Hobie has an accessory for everything but keeping the boss cool so looking for innovative solutions from those who recognize the "power of the purse" to help me convince her the 17t is a platform we can both enjoy. Any ideas or solutions?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you fishing offshore or in very large inland lakes? If so, get a Tandem Island. The versatility this boat offers makes it a great fishing vehicle, either one one or two people. It'll go further and faster than either of the Pro-Anglers you mention. Plus, if you want to use it in pure kayak mode, you just pull out the akas and remove the mast and you have a great tandem kayak.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked at those a few years ago and thought it would be nice to have something that could get me anywhere, but haven't considered them now. I fish primarily in the marsh ponds/channels of south Louisiana but this is due to proximity and a strong desire to NOT paddle the Prowler for miles on end. If I go with the 17t, I will be installing an xi5 and deep cycle battery to extend range but not nearly as far as the Island would take me, but not sure the Island would be suited to the shallow marsh ponds when I'm killing a couple of evening hours and not wanting to go far.

Also, I'm a gadget person and the H-Rail is a huge shiny lure to me with all the gadgets I could hang from it. I could do this from the Island's aka bars but watching Youtube video it appears everything both in and out of the center kayak get soaked so my gadgets wouldn't last long i fear....

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After many years fishing with canoes, motorboats and touring kayaks; 3 years ago, my wife and I added two Pro Angler 12's. My wife prefers having her own boat, allowing her freedom to fish where/how her instincts/interests take her.

We selected the Pro Anglers to fish the inland gulf coast waters (TX to FL). They have been a great choice for us. We found the PA’s spacious and well enough equipped to comfortably fish the whole day for a week or more at a time. We can comfortably stand in them to sight/fly fish/stretch our limbs. We purchased sails for the PA’s and they proved more useful then we first imagined. Sailing augments our peddling, so we can reach out a bit farther to fish barrier islands and other nearshore areas.

Fishing life was good, then this winter we demo’ed a Tandem Island in SW FL. As Tom Kirkman wisely suggested—what a great addition this boat has been. Though adding to the navy has its growing pains. . . am just completing the trailer to carry both PA’s and the TI. We are having more fun fishing than ever before. The goto motorboat got out once this year. The other motor boat is up for sale.

I think you are leaning toward the 17T — which seems a great fit for your use. I know we would not be happy with 2 people in a PA14 for any length of time. Demo-ing the boat(s) you are considering is the best advice I have received.

For shade, we have zip-tied golf umbrellas to the Vantage seats. We rarely do this, as they get in the way of fishing/sailing. A wide brim hat with a chin-strap is our go-to solution. Sport-Brella is mentioned in other posts, as an inexpensive shade option. Here is a link to one attached to a Vantage seat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNlFSXQMw7s

We also are big fans of the H-Rail. We added the longer H-Rail option to our 2013 PA's. We find the railing very useful when handling our kayaks--from the trailer to the beach. We added (and subtracted several attachments). We kept: 1. the universal adapter for our locators, and 2. the Scotty gear head adapter. We removed: 1. The horizontal rod rack, 2. the YakAttack Mighty Mount, 3. the railblaza G-hold.

Hobie has so many options—try out as many as your interest dictates. Lots of ways to enjoy time on the water.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great info itiming!!!!

I was leaning to towards the 17t, but after doing a ton of youtubing on the TI, I think that would be the preferable option for the two of us. My wife isn't a fisherwoman, her presence would be merely as admiral so she won't be going with me as often as I will/do. So, after looking at what I could do with the TI, I'm actually shifting a little to a new PA14 followed this fall by a used TI for those few times she does go and the occasional trips to Grand Isle for further out nearshore fishing. That may be a best of both worlds solution and provide me the ability to truckbed the PA when I'm looking for off the beaten path spots without breaking my back trying to manhandle the 17t or being restricted to actual launches.

I have a ton of accessories on my Ocean Kayak now, but plan on re-investing in H-Rail compatible parts. It sounds like you do a lot of the same fishing as I plan on doing. Do you have/use the H-Bar? After a few too many years with a few too many adult beverages scattered in them, I'm a little top heavy so having that bar seems like good insurance but worried it might get in way???

I'll be test riding a PA12 this weekend to kickoff the CCA Star tournament, maybe I'll catch a massive speck and that'll take care of the PA!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My search is over!! I went to Massey Outfitters to rent a PA-12 for the weekend and discovered a World Finals PA-14 package with rigging for a very attractive price and decided to take it home instead of the rental, so I am now officially a member of the Hobie club! Thanks for the feedback during my deliberations and I hope to have photos of my customizations soon, but first there's a few redfish with my name on it!