Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 180 Drive mast removal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have not been able to find any information on fin/mast removal on the 180 drive. I would like to be prepared for when I inevitably been the mast. Does anyone have a link, preferably with pics?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:15 am 
Site Admin

This video is a complete disassembly. The first part shows the fin removal.

https://youtu.be/u2BwZLCNV5o?t=38s

The masts have a flat near the tip that you can get a wrench on to unthread them. You can also clamp the mast in a vise and twist the drive off of the mast which is sometimes easier. They are seated with blue Loctite.

Hobie Cat USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

That's an excellent video. There are a few things that could be clarified:

1. At about 2:10 in the video, a written message appears about marking "each chain at the sprocket". I think they mean to mark the center chain link at the master (center) sprocket. This will give the proper alignment for re-assembly.

2. The idler pulley installation was omitted. The only noteworthy omission here is to use Loctite Blue on the Allenhead screw so it doesn't back out; fit snug, but don't over tighten.

3. "Contact us" at the end of the video presumably means the dealer since there was no actual contact info presented.

4. The presenter didn't go over the final cable tension. Once installed, adjust the tension to provide about 1/8" squeeze on the idler and front drum cable; about 3/16" on the rear cable. Do the final tightening from front to rear so the tensions don't change. Likewise, don't cinch up the fins all the way; allow at least 1/8" for the fins to slide up and down the mast. They are very sensitive in this dimension in terms of pedaling resistance.

The 30 minute estimate may be a little optimistic for the typical user -- best to allow a good hour +/- from start to finish. 8)