Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm having trouble getting my PA14 rudder back into operation.

The problem began when I noticed the steering string bulging out of the housing under my seat. Not sure why that started, but soon after the rudder stopped turning in both directions.

I disassembled it all - and of course that's when the trouble really began. I can't get it adjusted and reassembled.

Is there a diagram or instructions available that would guide me in getting it all back together and functioning properly? Is there a Hobie service facility near or in Maine?

thanks for any and all advice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It sounds like you have a first generation PA-14. Pages 5,6 & 7 have some limited info on the rudder.
https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... 1497232288

If your PA-14 is a post 2013 unit, then this diagram is helpful.
https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... 1497232288

This last link is for a steering drum upgrade for the earlier PA's.
https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attach ... 1497232288

Hope one or more of these links is of some help to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the reply and information, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The manual doesn't go into detail if you have the early model tension adjusting knob (inside view showing knob screw here):

Here is an expanded detail on the correct routing of the rudder line that locks it on the screw:

Twisting the knob winds the line around the screw, thus removing slack from the line. This is especially useful when the hull contracts in cool conditions (creating slop in the rudder lines). 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, that helps because as you note, not much detail in manual.

Is the rudder wrapped evenly around the screw, or is wrapped to change the length to the rudder?

I'm assuming (yikes!) that the line should be even around the screw in the forward steering housing, and then the length adjustment happens at the rudder wheel.

But that is where I can no joy, and the process breaks down. Can't seem to get rudder to move properly and fully from side-to-side.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I fixed it this afternoon. The trick for me was wrapping one of the rudder lines a few times around the screw in the steering housing. That seemed to make the rudder movement equal side to side. Could not figure out how to make that line look like it does in your photo of the screw head.

Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Once you have the line fixed to the screw, it need to hold position without slipping to operate the rudder properly. It's been several years since I took this pic, but as I recall, there is a second hole (or holes) beneath the screw head. You run the rudder line through the lower hole, out the top, back in the other top hole and out the lower hole. The way you get the loop to route under the entry / exit line is to pull the top line segment loose enough to pass under the unfastened screw and over to the reverse side, then pull all the slack out. When installing, rather than turn the screw, spin the knob, then lock it in position with the nut that was previously threaded on the screw (shown in picture), thereby fixing it in place.

This locks the line. By turning the screw / knob, line tension is achieved by wrapping around the screw shaft. If you have another way to secure the line to the screw without slipping, that will work -- you just won't be able to adjust line tension with the knob. You can, however, adjust the tension where the lines are secured at the steering drum.

An alternate way of doing this (I think -- haven't tried it) would be to have two separate steering lines, each tied off at the adjustment screw and the steering drum. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! I'll be able to get it wet today or tomorrow, see what's up with it.