Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys thanks for the advice in advance , a little information first I am a kayak newbie but a fishing veteran really want to get into this kayak space. I just recently moved to a condo right across from the beach. Although a bay beach, the beach is a really popular spot to do some saltwater fishing .

So that being said I am currently in the market for a yak , initially I was looking at the 17t as I wanted to have the ability to bring my wife/friends fishing with me but decided that it is way too big for me to lug across the street and up a big sand dune to the beach as it would be just me attempting to drag this puppy, also it's damn expensive but you get what you pay for. So now I am currently looking at the 2017 pro angler 14 or 12 which is smaller and more compact and I would think I would be able to drag up the hill with proper wheels

I am looking into what accessories I can get I.e., fish finder , battery , rod holders mounts , anchor ?? Mind you I am super new and would love some guidance on some of these accessories. Currently I was looking at the lowrance hook 4 , would love to go with lowrance for the pre drilled setup. Dry box , net ,life jacket cooler I would definitely need some advice. Also what would be the best solution as far as the cart should I just get the hobie trax? I want to be able to launch but yet store the wheels on the kayak . If anyone has a list of accessories or any information that would be awesome!

Another question would be are you able to put or prop a seat for a second person on the pro angler 14 the 12 would be tight I would think , I found some videos online just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with another person sitting on the back.

Also do you think it is feasible to drag the kayak about 50 yards up a steep incline for one person ? I am a pretty big dude at 6ft 225 and hit the gym just never attempted it before .

Once again thanks in advance, please excuse any formatting typing this on my tiny phone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't speak to most of the more detailed Pro Angler questions, but I may have some insight on rolling the kayak bit.

How steep? How deep is the sand?

I am also a big guy, 6'3" and pretty stocky with a lot of upper body strength. I have the i12s and the sort of off-road looking wheels. I find it easy enough to wheel it up and down slopes by myself, but keep in mind that this boat is a fair piece lighter than the Pro Angler's, and I haven't really begun tricking it out with add-ons. I have a Yak Attack Black Pac now but I am still setting it up and haven't been wheeling my kayak up and down with it.

I am glad I splurged and bought the Hobie carrier with the big, squishy grey tires for sand.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Also do you think it is feasible to drag the kayak about 50 yards up a steep incline for one person ? I am a pretty big dude at 6ft 225 and hit the gym just never attempted it before .

Let me address just that question: I am 62, 155#, physically fit and in good health. I have a PA14 and live right on a great lake. I keep my PA14 in the garage. It is about a 50 yard hike from the garage, around the house, across the sand and down to the lake. Nevertheless, I almost never launch my PA from home! Even though I have both a Hobie Trax-2 cart with the standard Wheeleez beach tires, and a Wheeleez cart with even bigger and squishier beach tires, I find moving a loaded PA14 back and forth across sand is significantly harder than trailering it to and from a concrete boat launch about 6 miles away. I once attended a kayak fishing event that required everyone to drag their rides several hundred yards across sand and up and down a low dune to get to the launch area. Although my PA14 was the envy of all out on the water, there were lots of snickers heard when getting that beast to and from the water that weekend. I would recommend that you borrow whatever you intend to buy and try that dune out for size before getting lost in the rigging details. Just my $0.02, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ask your local dealer if they can supply a demo kayak to your location for dragging up hill test. My dealer was very accommodating for that sort of stuff. You hardly will get a discount on a hobie anyways so just pick one up from them if it works, if not maybe they can steer you into the right direction.

You could also look into the inflatable i11s or similar, much lighter, but you will definitely need the sand tires the big wheels, but for those you can definitely move it up the hill, just make sure you strap your gears down... I am much smaller than you and can get the i11s up a hill no problem. Also I don't know your living situation, but a inflatable is also a lot easier to store. I got mine mainly for easier traveling.

Now because you are so close to the water I do suggest the following as well, my usual setup on weekdays. This is in addition to maybe a PA or maybe your main if you can't get a PA up a hill.

If you want a quick paddle on weekdays after work by yourself a SUP and a rolling cooler is one quick way to get on the water. put everything you need in the cooler, get a SUP shoulder carry strap, strap your board and paddle in, right hand holds rod and support the SUP, left hand tow the cooler. This setup is so easy to clean for a quick 1hr or so excursion. The cooler act as a seat too while on the water. Been doing that every other day since the sun is out and beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added a second seat to my PA14 in less than an hour. Works great. Bought a folding stadium seat online, put it on top of a milk crate, and built a bracket out of PVC pipe to anchor the whole thing through the rear holes otherwise used for the Hobie wheels. I have BoonDocks Landing Gear so those holes were not being used. [url][/url]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 62 and in the Gulf every weekend in the PA14. Have had 3 PA14s now and really love my 2015 PA. Accessories depend on the type of fishing you do and what fits your style of fishing. If you carry a ton of gear and don't want to spend time loading and unloading, a lot of folks have added the Boonedox Landing gear. Not for me as I get by fine with the HD Cart for times when I carry one kayak in the truck bed using a bed extender.

A fish finder with gps is always a good option. Yes Lowrance is a good choice, but do not rule out Humminbird. All you need for Humminbird is the adapter kit (basically 2 plastic arms and mounting screw so the Humminbird tranducer will mount to the mounting plate on the bottom).

The H-Rails offer a great variety of mounting options for rod holders and other accessories. Get the rectangular white bucket that fits in the rectangular hatch in front of the seat. That is a must have.

Anchor trolleys are easy to install and are very handy for shallow water anchoring with a stake out pole. Fish out of the PA before you start adding a lot of items to it. That will help you determine where you want to put certain items based on how you fish.

Besides the forum here, there is a Facebook page for Hobie Pro Angler Owners that is a great page for pictures of other setups and help.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass