Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2018 PRO ANGLER
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will just wait a couple of weeks to purchase. If I can save a few hundred dollars by waiting until after the 2018's are released later in the month then it is worth it to me. A dealer told me that they can't waive shipping fees on a current model year boat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I contacted hobie via Facebook chat some time in July and was told 2018 changes would be announced in August and would be available in September for purchase. My local Hobie dealer, Austin Canoe and Kayak, said to expect late October before they received any stock.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My thoughts, and hopes....

The next 2 most logical things to do with the PA series is:
1. A landing gear that would not require lifting and tilting the boat. Something similar to the boondox. I have asked about boondox installs and non related warranty issues, but I can find no hobie affiliate willing to give a definitive answer. I asked at 2 different ACK stores and got 2 different answers. One stated, hobie would not use 3rd party add on's as a scapegoat to skirt fixing non related warranty issues. The other store stated that Hobie does not want any 3rd party products added, and would definitely not warranty any boat that had holes drilled in it, even if damage is not related.

2. And we will likely never see this one... a mounting solution for small 2-3 hp outboard motors. There are so many areas just out of reach with a 6 hour fishing day planned, that would be much more doable with 2-3hp of thrust assistance. I fish with my 73 year old father, in kayaks, and he will not upgrade to PA series because he HAS to have the motor to make fishing doable. He currently has a center console mounted sears 1985 2 hp motor. We modified it and shortened the shaft by 16 inches, and changed the throttles to be accessible from behind the prop to accommodate it being mounted between his legs. It works great for him and his ripe old age. It is installed on a non Hobie Kayak. I am aware of Eletric solutions, but weight and price verses battery life and distance tracked just does not make sense to me. We have a troller we modified for Kayak use, but don't use it any more due to battery life.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Alstang1 wrote:
My thoughts, and hopes....

The next 2 most logical things to do with the PA series is:
1. A landing gear that would not require lifting and tilting the boat. Something similar to the boondox. I have asked about boondox installs and non related warranty issues, but I can find no hobie affiliate willing to give a definitive answer. I asked at 2 different ACK stores and got 2 different answers. One stated, hobie would not use 3rd party add on's as a scapegoat to skirt fixing non related warranty issues. The other store stated that Hobie does not want any 3rd party products added, and would definitely not warranty any boat that had holes drilled in it, even if damage is not related.

2. And we will likely never see this one... a mounting solution for small 2-3 hp outboard motors. There are so many areas just out of reach with a 6 hour fishing day planned, that would be much more doable with 2-3hp of thrust assistance. I fish with my 73 year old father, in kayaks, and he will not upgrade to PA series because he HAS to have the motor to make fishing doable. He currently has a center console mounted sears 1985 2 hp motor. We modified it and shortened the shaft by 16 inches, and changed the throttles to be accessible from behind the prop to accommodate it being mounted between his legs. It works great for him and his ripe old age. It is installed on a non Hobie Kayak. I am aware of Eletric solutions, but weight and price verses battery life and distance tracked just does not make sense to me. We have a troller we modified for Kayak use, but don't use it any more due to battery life

My simple thoughts and hopes for the 2018 model would be similar to yours with a few exceptions:

1) Same as above. A Hobie equivalent to the Boonedox landing gear. That's just cool, convenient and so practical!

2) A water-tight hull. A leaking front hatch of that size would be ridiculous if it were not true. Hobie look at Ocean Kayak BG II front hatch. The "lip" with an adequate amount of rubber around it plus a simple and tight locking mechanism makes for a great seal. (All 3 required for my 'seal of approval')

And that would be it for me. I really dig practically everything about the 2017 model with those two exceptions. Still room for improvement... sure, like maybe metal threads instead of plastic ones for the rubber pull tabs for the reverse/forward switch. I think, I am just going to consider inserting 550 cord with a discrete handle and not have to worry about it coming off or stripping while on the water. So... if the two items above were implemented... I would be beyond ecstatic! and wouldn't wait a millisecond before rushing out and pre-ordering one!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mmiller

Do you have more info on show dates, and how we can view on line? Will you be posting the findings here?

Bottom line...... what is the quickest most assured way of getting the info?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:13 am 
Site Admin

August 29th is the Consumer release date.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, We will be anxiously awaiting your update next week!

'18 Compass (mine)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Coastie wrote:

new model leaked on Facebook today. Similar to an Outback without the
molded in siderails.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

robistro wrote:
Coastie wrote:

molded in siderails.

In reference to the new Compass and the new "_______" -yak with the built in rear live well...

I need to sit down... I'm a little sick at my stomach right now! I'll wait until tomorrow and perhaps I'll wake up and see that its all been a dream...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Crappie Yaker wrote:
robistro wrote:
Coastie wrote:

molded in siderails.

In reference to the new Compass and the new "_______" -yak with the built in rear live well...

I need to sit down... I'm a little sick at my stomach right now! I'll wait until tomorrow and perhaps I'll wake up and see that its all been a dream...

Built in live well? pretty small for a live well....deadwell maybe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:

Well it looks like the wait is over for any announcements regarding the 2018 Pro Angler 14.
Kinda like waking up on your Birthday only to find your last years gift wrapped up for this year and everybody hovering around asking what do ya think... do you like it, do ya like it? Yea, Sure... Thanks everyone!

I was holding out a little hope for a few upgrades, but I will have to say that I am pleased that Hobie hasn't ruined a wonderful product by making some goofy downgrades like I heard they had. Shame on me for listening to rumors I guess!

I can still say: "I really dig practically everything about the 2017 model with those two exceptions.'

1) A Hobie equivalent to the Boonedox landing gear. That's just cool, convenient and so practical!

2) A water-tight hull. A leaking front hatch of that size would be ridiculous if it were not true. Hobie look at Ocean Kayak BG II front hatch. The "lip" with an adequate amount of rubber around it plus a simple and tight locking mechanism makes for a great seal. (All 3 required for my 'seal of approval')

So there is still room for improvement, but I still believe it is heads and shoulders above the competition!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Crappie Yaker wrote:
mmiller wrote:

Well it looks like the wait is over for any announcements regarding the 2018 Pro Angler 14.
Kinda like waking up on your Birthday only to find your last years gift wrapped up for this year and everybody hovering around asking what do ya think... do you like it, do ya like it? Yea, Sure... Thanks everyone!

I was holding out a little hope for a few upgrades, but I will have to say that I am pleased that Hobie hasn't ruined a wonderful product by making some goofy downgrades like I heard they had. Shame on me for listening to rumors I guess!

I can still say: "I really dig practically everything about the 2017 model with those two exceptions.'

1) A Hobie equivalent to the Boonedox landing gear. That's just cool, convenient and so practical!

So there is still room for improvement, but I still believe it is heads and shoulders above the competition!

I'm sure there is one upgrade overlooked. Though I have not heard, I'm sure the price is up.

I spoke to hobie on Facebook messenger. They say the drive leg length adjustment "arc crank" has been moved to the top of the drive.

Also, they stated PA has new mounting boards that are backwards compatible. By that, do they mean a new h-rail attachment, or the pads mounted to a trailer for cradling the hull..... I have no clue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alstang1 wrote:
Also, they stated PA has new mounting boards that are backwards compatible. By that, do they mean a new h-rail attachment, or the pads mounted to a trailer for cradling the hull..... I have no clue.

I'm sure they are talking about the front black mounting boards. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
Alstang1 wrote:

I'm sure they are talking about the front black mounting boards. :D

From what I could make out, the 'black mounting boards' are a little shorter, the H rail is a little longer, extending to the front and the black boards have a short track mounted on them to accept any track accessory. Also, the black boards have a couple holes in them for holding pliers, or other tools in the board. So, with a couple short tracks, and a drill with a hole saw one could upgrade to the 2018 black board :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where can one find photos of 2018?