Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice please ASAP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So i jumped in the water head first and purchased my new 2017 pro angler 14 kayak. How exciting life is ! so here comes the bad part ,

I take off work yesterday to get my new shinny kayak shipment , it comes of the truck and I see some damage to the bubble wrapping and my heart drops :( . I unwrap the kayak inspecting for damage and see a gash or scratch in the bottom of the hull soft of right near the Lowrance fish finder sensor plate :( so sad . Needless to say I am pissed and not sure what to do, the seller of the kayak is very accommodating and will take the kayak back if I want them to , or they will send me a patch kit and take money off the kayak(not sure how much yet) . The issue is it is on back order and will take at least 3 to 6 weeks to get to me :( season will be over by then!

I know it is hard to tell online buy do you think you guys could tell me how bad this damage looks? I put a penny in the gash and it only goes up to edge depth wise.

My question is how thick are the hulls on the PA 14 2017 ? how deep would it have to be to penetrate the hull ? also if I can figure out how to post a picture on here how bad does it look .

If you were in a similar situation buying a brand new kayak what would you do ?

pictures

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5eeq ... lBtZEd1clE

thank you in advance stressing right now :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:54 am 
Site Admin

That is a shame! BUT... Not a structural problem. Plenty thick and somewhat common to get gouges as you bump rocks and stuff, so unless you are REALLY carefull... this is the first of many to come.

You could scrape the shards off, but I would just leave it alone.

Get the freight damage credit if they are offering it and run!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree completely with Matt! It's a shame that you didn't get to put the first scratch on it but I assure you that one is nothing to worry about. If I think about it when I get home I'll send you a couple pics of the bottom of my hulls. They all have much worse scratches just from daily use. One or two launches from a concrete boat ramp (even when being very careful) and you'll have more than that. These kayaks are very thick and will handle that and much more without any worry of structural integrity!

Take the credit and buy a Trax 2-30 cart or the HD cart if you haven't already!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input guys so much really appreciate you guys are awesome!! So I am going to keep it I guess I already have the boondocks for the pa14 but now getting paranoid on installing it saw that n other posts that some of the 2017 camo versions had cracked after installing and use. So I might return and get the scupper cart and mod it with the bunjiee cords like previous videos. Or m I just being paranoid? Should I install that puppy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 am 
Site Admin

I'm not a fan of the landing gear. Loads of stress can be on the mounting points. Scuppers had issues with short cart posts. Those have long lever arms.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stupid question does putting the landing gear on void the warranty of the hull? I have all the parts want to get this baby in the water don't know if I should return the landing gear and buy a scupper cart or just take the risk . Any other alternative methods? I asked the support where I bought the kayak they told me it does not void the warranty but wanted to check with the official peeps .

I did some research and read that scupper carts used to be an issue but they have reinforced since then. If I did buy one it would be one of the newer carts with the longer polls

I never thought these decisions would be so stressful just want to do the right thing and not break this expensive beauty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Damage caused by non-Hobie accessories is not covered by Hobie.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What i you have for example, a landing gear but the bottom of your hull has issues which has nothing to do with the 3rd party accessory ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm on my 3rd Pro Angler. I remember getting the first one in 2012 and worrying about putting a scratch in it. If you fish saltwater the bottom is going to get scratched by rocks and oyster beds. No way to avoid that! :D Looking at the picture, I would do what was suggested and try and get some damage compensation from the shipping company and press on. The bottom of the hulls are pretty thick. That blemish is in an area no one will ever see. Keep the side and the top pristine. Congrats on the new PA and welcome to the PA family and the addiction!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you chose to add the Boondox Landing Gear and have an issue with some part of the boat that has nothing to do with the landing gear then you're good to go and the Hobie warranty will take care of things. If you add the landing gear and experience something such as cracking around where the landing gear bolts to the hull then the damage wont be covered b/c it can be assumed that the landing gear addition is what caused the damage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the clarification I figured makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Heya guys just getting back to you with the progress of my maiden voyage , so all and all very successful probably one of the nest times of my life just being able to go out on a boat and fish on my terms was amazing and such a great feeling to be out there. Definitely a little scary at times not knowing what to expect but here are some pics check them out !!!

caught a nice doormat !!!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Obi1 wrote:
Heya guys just getting back to you with the progress of my maiden voyage , so all and all very successful probably one of the nest times of my life just being able to go out on a boat and fish on my terms was amazing and such a great feeling to be out there. Definitely a little scary at times not knowing what to expect but here are some pics check them out !!!

caught a nice doormat !!!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Nice looking flattie! Keep us posted on how you're doing. There's also a Hobie Pro Angler Facebook group if you're interested.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass