Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New Member... potential new PA12 owner needs some tips.

I have come across a 2016 PA 12, with a Lowrance 4X finder with battery and charger, Watersnake T185 12v 18lb thrust trolling motor, paddles, anchor, Mirage Drive (no reverse), and a Harbor Freight folding trailer for transport. Kayak is alleged to have 1 hour of total use... price is under $3K which seems like a steal.

What am I missing, what should I be looking for?

JDD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Perhaps an estate sale? The boat is warrantied for 2 years from the date of original purchase (see the seller or dealer), or manufacturing date (see FAQ regarding reading serial # on hull). This warranty stays with the boat, not just the original owner. If complete (you didn't mention seat), sounds like quite a deal! Welcome to the forum! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not a fan of adding trolling motors to a PA, but that's a personal preference. If everything is in the condition described, that is a great deal. My only concern would be the trolling motor and how it is mounted/utilized on the PA since I wouldn't use it and would want to know if any mounting holes were drilled or items added related to the trolling motor that once removed would leave holes or have other issues. But that's your call. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It does come with the seat... and it looks like the trolling motor has an insert that allows it to be inserted into the MD slot. The trailer is brand new with a deck and PVC rails for the kayak to sit on. Seems like a heck of a deal. Any pointers on stress areas, or potential failure points to look over real close? He is uninterested in allowing a test drive, which makes me nervous. What can I tell about the MD out of the water, that might be a gotcha?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If your happy with Hook 4 and trolling motor you have a good deal. I was recently in your boat, so to speak. I looked at used PA12's but I did not want to pay for Hook 4 (popular on these) since I wanted a higher grade unit. However, water snake is worth it.

I have had mine out for about 18 hours so far, I gotta say I actually use reverse way more than I thought I would. If yours didn't have a trolling motor I would recommend new.

Right now I am debating putting a trolling motor or micro-pole on mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JDD wrote:
It does come with the seat... and it looks like the trolling motor has an insert that allows it to be inserted into the MD slot. The trailer is brand new with a deck and PVC rails for the kayak to sit on. Seems like a heck of a deal. Any pointers on stress areas, or potential failure points to look over real close? He is uninterested in allowing a test drive, which makes me nervous. What can I tell about the MD out of the water, that might be a gotcha?

Check the cables and chain linkage on the MD. I doubt if you will see any issues since it's a 2016 drive. It should be the GT drive with the gray housings. Check the fins for tears or punctures. Mirage drives are pretty durable so unless you see something obvious, one that is a year old should be good. Make sure it has the pedal straps, the adjustments (squeeze handles at the base of the pedals for adjusting the position of the pedals) work. You can hold it by the pedal shafts and work the drive to make sure it pivots (fins swing back and forth) and no unusual sounds. The fins should be held on the shafts by a pin for each one that has a small split rig through the end of the pin. Check for those. I know all this is basic information for someone that already is familiar with the Mirage drive, but not sure if you are. Hope this helps.

I missed the trailer. If everything is legit, it sure sounds like a great deal. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass