Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good day, I bought a new PA 14 Camo this year and it's been great. The only problem is my wife has been coming with me on the kayak and now wants me to get the PA 17t so she has room to move around. I found someone willing to trade, but it's a 2015 model. So I was wondering if there any differences (excluding the drives) between the 2015 and 2017 models?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Only major different is the drive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought my PA 17T last year and had the best summer of fishing sailing and overall fun of my whole life. Last year I put over 130 miles on my boat in the few short boating months we have in Montana and this year when the reversing drives came out I was simultaneously impressed that Hobie had done it again and lamenting that I didn't have a crystal ball last year that would have allowed me to see into the future. The new drives are available for purchase and while they are pricey I contend you would only need one. I spend most of my time by myself anyway and moving backwards for me isn't a big thing. For anyone wondering out there, the 17T is very easy to handle alone, fast, maneuverable and incredibly stable, beaching in the breaking surf could roll you but that's about it. I have been in some really high winds (20+MPH) and big waves. I've taken a lot of waves over the bow and the side and so long as you lanyard your gear there's nothing to worry about. Water runs right out the drive wells. If you bring along a buddy powering through high winds and waves is really astounding. I've added an xi-5 trolling motor with optima battery, fish finder, mini down rigger, and lots of other gear like bluetooth speaker (waterproof), cooler with beer and food etc. and the extra weight and gear is very manageable... and I'm not a stud. I imagine the 12's and 14's are easier to store and haul around but spend some time on a 17T and you'll be glad you made the move. I'm up to 200 miles now and hope to get another 50 in before the end of the season.
Good Luck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

17T is great just make sure you have a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, looks like l'll be buying new after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good Luck! You'll love it. I bought the trailex trailer this year and it really is awesome. I used my haul trailer last year which I had modified with the Hobie cradles and a few other features. It had a pretty long tongue so I was able to balance the boat and trailer but it was heavy and quite a chore to move around. It has a low bed but isn't anything I would submerge so I either used the launching dolly or I parked at the water's edge and pulled the boat up on it. The trailex on the other hand is lite as a feather and I submerge it like a boat trailer when launching and retrieving, works like a dream. Mind the bearings as usual. I haven't tried the launching dolly yet because of the added weight of the trolling motor and battery, I don't want to work that hard. I will eventually because the AIS policy in Glacier National Park currently prohibits boat trailers and motors and I still have that trip to make.