Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage of a Hobie PA 14
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First off I'm new to the board so hello everyone .Im upgrading from a Big Rig to a PA14 and I couldnt be more excited.I test drove a Hobie and I was blown away ,no comparison .I guess you don't know what you are missing until you try it .
My question is before I bring it home ,what's the best way to store a PA14?
I love the idea/ease of a rolling cart but I've also heard that even with pvc runners that it still can compromise the shape .Space is not a problem ,it will be stored in a 30x60 shop .The cart seems like the most practical since I will hauling in back of a pickup,just wanted some input from the board.
The Hobie PA ruined me ,so I guess I will be joining the family soon .Thanks everyone for your input .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What if I made a cart with Hobie cradles on top vs 3"pvc ?Which is better ,I know the cradles are very expensive .

Please I know everyone on this form gets sick of the same questions I just don't want to deform the bottom . Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a support page for the PA14 https://www.hobie.com/support/mirage-pro-angler-14/

There you'll find the owner's manual - it has all of the Do's and Don'ts for storage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

During the summer, I just leave mine on the cart and put a five-gallon bucket under the drive hole to keep the boat level. I've seen absolutely no sign of any deformation over five summers now. We see a few 100° days each year, but the boat is in shade and covered. In winter, I haul the boat up under my deck with a Harken hoist. Again, no deformation even hanging by the two narrow straps.

That may not jibe with the official recommendations, but it has worked fine for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The cart and pvc would be a pretty good way to keep it mobile and good for the hull. I keep mine on the trailer loaded on PVC pipe and ready to go. I also used gorilla glue to attach marine grade carpet to the tops of the PVC pipe and that makes it slide easy and no scratches.