Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a 2014 Pro Angler 12 on craigslist. I love the kayak, but the tracking wasn't something I liked. Also, when I was standing and fishing it drifted with the slightest breeze. I found out that it was a problem Hobie corrected on the 2015 model by adding the skeg. I came up with this idea for a Skeg/Rudder for my PA 12 and now I love it even more. Check out the links to the videos I have demonstrating my concept.

Part 1, https://youtu.be/zgf9cIQznLg

Part 2, https://youtu.be/v4EX-mSoNlY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting solution to your "tracking" problem.

I have a 2013 PA-14 and the only tracking problem was when I down rig fish......my solution was to change the standard rudder for the "larger/optional" rudder. :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher, the PA must track better with the two extra feet of kayak you have. I was constantly making steering corrections, to the point of driving me nuts. I do a lot of Bass fishing and so I'm standing most of the time and that is where this idea really helps. While I'm standing I can still make corrections to my drift (which I think affects most kayaks anyway.) It keeps me drifting with my line in front of me not behind me. By the way, you must be fishing the Columbia River I'm guessing? The Steelhead run must be a blast to fish.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakjammer......I suspect as you mentioned, the longer PA-14 might track better.....keep in mind that my 2013 PA-14 does not have the "tracking skeg".

Yes, I do fish the Columbia River occasionally, but most often, I fish Lost Lake. It's located a few, short miles north of Mount Hood and the beauty is breath taking.

I down rig fish in the 25' to 110' depths, trolling a 4"-5" quickfish style lure and some larger spinners. My weight is 4.25 pounds and I use a Cannon electric downrigger.

Regardless if I catch a fish or two or nothing at all, I get a really good workout in the best setting I can think of. I also release all fish that are under 18" in length.

Tight lines 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher, My 2014 doesn't have the tracking skeg either. They came out in 2015. That is why I needed to do something. I used to live in Redmond, Oregon back in the early 80's (before kayaks were popular.) I fished the Deschutes River all the time back then. I fished Suttle lake and Ochoco Reservoir a few times, but needed a boat back then. I wish there would have been fishing kayaks back then. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah-so!
I mistakenly thought the tracking skeg came out in '14....it was the "rudder boa" that was added, to sync the two rudder handles together and that was one modification I made to my '13, PA-14.