Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fly rods in Pro Angler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How do you use multiple fly rods in a Pro Angler? The rod holders I see illustrated won't work, I think.

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

orthodmd wrote:
How do you use multiple fly rods in a Pro Angler? The rod holders I see illustrated won't work, I think.
thanks

You would have to be a extremely talented juggler to use multiple fly rods pull that one off! Most folks require both hands for casting their flys, but I have to admit, it would be pretty nifty to see someone cast and retrieve 2 to 4 fly rods at same time... regardless of the boat/yak! :-)

However, I bet you probably meant storing multiple fly rods in a PA. If that was what you were referring to, it all would depend upon your rods. I use some TFO rods that break down into Four sections for traveling. The rod tube makes it really nice, convenient and safe when traveling. If you have either a two or one piece set up, your method would be different of course. One piece rods would require you to stand them up vertical or angled behind you unless you rigged a horizontal holder on the side of the yak (use Hobie's horizontal rod holder on the H-rail outside of the yak).

I'm still not understanding why you would want to take multiple fly rods unless you are going to "spider rig" a set-up up front. In that case, I wouldn't use fly rods, I would use other rods designed for that purpose. Bottom line, where there is a will, there is a way! Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

orthodmd wrote:
thanks

Are you wanting a holder to store the rods (like the 3 built in on each side) or actually fish with them like trolling? If you just want something to hold the fly rods while moving you could use a simple Scotty #260 fly rod holder.

Post subject: fly rods in Pro Angler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I usually take four rigged rods with me chasing rainbows with chironomids on the lakes in BC. Two are rigged for trolling while scouting for fish, one in a holder and the other holding onto. The other two are setup for when I'm anchored up. I start off with them vertically in the crate and they end up laying in the boat with the tips out the back so I can change rods quickly. Two piece rods can be left rigged and broken down so they are ready to go pretty quickly. A single angler in a boat can use two rods in that area but only single fly rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interested in seeing what kind of rod holders people have for these also (storing rigged fly rods angled out the back).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In a PA 14, how much room do you have if you slide the Hobie butt holder section all the way to the rear?

I was hoping to put the reels in the tank well area and fit 9 footers in the tubes. Is that totally unrealistic?

Haven't picked up my boat yet.

If you look at a Jackson Mayfly that's how it's done in that boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You have about 8’6” to the rear end of the H-rail, so I think it’s possible. I have steering pedals on mine so I can’t use the holders but I think it would be okay with the reels 6” behind the holder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the measurement. I pick up my boat in just a couple more weeks. I've never heard of steering pedals on a PA before, but I'm new with Hobie boats and have to look into that comment.

I was thinking of making some type of rest for the reel and placing it in the tank well. If you look at the Jackson Mayfly and the new Jackson Big Rig HD, you will see that they have a molded area for fly reel placement to the rear of the seat.

Check out this link and look at the labeled position number 11 for how they accomplish this. http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/big-rig-fd/

If Hobie is listening those type pockets and a power pole mount already molded into the boat would be on my wish list for the 2020 PA 14. Having said that, I still think that the PA is the boat to own, so that's why I bought a 2019 and wasn't going to hold out for a maybe upgrade one day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The steering pedals are something I added for my trolling motor. I think you’ll be fine with rods, the Hobie has three separate rod holders on each side so the tips won’t get tangled by putting multiple rods in a single holder. I’m not crazy about having the rods exposed right on the edge of that Jackson, seems like it would be too easy to crush a rod by leaning on it.
I start out with my rods in the crate, since we can use two rods in B.C. I take 3 or 4 with me and the ones I’m using frequently I have the tips out the back and the reels next to my knee beside the seat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out last year with my current yak and fishing recently flooded timber. I'm paddling through some thick stuff. I was very good going forward with the rod tips and then decided to back up. I'm turning the boat and not watching the front end, when I turned around I saw a $750 fly rod bent pretty drastically and caught it in time, but it sent a shiver through my wallet at that point that I don't plan on seeing again. Actually the rod tip tubes on the Hobie were a major draw for me.

I'm headed to the Chicago Sport fishing show in a matter of moments and I want to try a few rods in the tubes at the show. I'm also shopping for some baitcasting linecounter reels and longer rods for fishing salmon in Lake Michigan and I want to see how those 8 and 8.5' rods stow as well.

Mostly a fly fisherman, but I can be tempted by the dark side.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Two or four piece rods you can leave rigged up and just break them down in half and put them in the rod holders no problem as well.