Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,

I have a PA 14 that was purchased after the issue of re-routing the skeg line was resolved. However, I'm having trouble with the skeg dropping down correctly when in use. I estimate that over the almost 2 years I have had the kayak that I've only deployed the skeg about 6 times.

I've removed the skeg, lubricated it and checked for easy running of the pulley etc. I've also checked the line where it runs through the area of the rudder mechanism. The nylon guide/grommet is half worn through..... I will need to replace this but it doesn't appear to be the problem.

The problem seems to be that there is not enough tension to pull the line from the skeg cleat end to the rudder assembly area. For the skeg to drop down I need to manually feed the skeg line back through the cleat that locks it near the skeg handle. I've discovered that there is a bungee cord tensioner that looks like it is supposed to do this but is not. Most likely it has lost some of its retraction qualities.

My question is..... how do I replace this bungee cord? Is there a skeg line diagram like the rudder line diagram on the Hobie website that I can refer to? I strained to make another knot in the existing bungee cord to effectively shorten it but it didn't seem to have improved the situation. I'd like to know if there is an easy way to replace the bungee cord. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:47 am 
Site Admin

There must be a tangle or friction point. I would check to see if you actually have the latest routing of the line. We now use a small cheek block just outboard (near the rail) of the line entry point to get a better angle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback Matt. I would like to check if I have the latest routing of line.........but what do I do the check against? This is why I was asking about whether there is a skeg line routing diagram.

I'm not sure whereabouts you are referring to with the cheek block. There seems to be something forward of the skeg line entry point (2 screws in the port side ahead of the locking cleat) and I can feel some sort of turnaround fitting at the rear port side to direct the line approx 90 degrees to the where the rudder assembly area is.

If I had a diagram to refer to it would make things much easier to interpret.

I can't 'feel' any tangles.