Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been looking at the Hobie Mirage Pro Anglers for a while now. I live in Idaho. There are a lot of lakes but there are also a lot of rivers. Big and small rivers. I can't find anything on using one of this on a river, big or small.

Good idea? Bad Idea?

Anyone have any experience on a river with one of these?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Charles Daugherty takes you on a tour of the Delaware River while fishing for smallmouth. Charles is a Hobie fishing team member and uses the Pro Angler 14 to navigate the river along with his friends Charles Breon and Marc Weiss.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent idea....depending on the river and if you do a float trip (downstream) or round trip out & back from 1 spot (requires some upstream). I have not used Pro Angler (PA) but often use a Hobie Revolution to fish round trip on various rivers. The mirage drive works for fishing to stay in place, control drift going downstream, or to go upstream in "mild" conditions. However, going upstream requires paddling if the river has shallows, rock gardens, or rapids over class I.

In summary, I assume PA works fine for float trips in any river or for round trips that do not require a paddle. If you intend to do round trips, realize many have riffles/rapids that require paddling so a Revo will work better. I paddle a Revo upstream in some class II rapids and doubt the PA could make it without walking it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Perfect. Thank you so much, this is just what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have used my pro angler 12 ft. on the Susquehanna river for 3 years and it works great. I do stretches of river that are deep enough to travel up or down river. Having the ability to tuck the fins up against the hull makes it great around rocks and shallows. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I started with a 12' Outback and have now changed up to the PA14 simply for more cargo capacity than the Outback has -keeping in mind that's for ocean fishing in my case. That being said, I have fly fished Colorado reservoirs and rivers for the past 25 years in float tubes, jon boats, runabouts to bass boats and also as an avid former dualsport rider with a lot of friends and contacts in Idaho and loving the rugged terrain. I would most definitely choose the more nimble Outback for the type of waters I'm guessing you're targeting, I bet it would be a blast in the rivers. Or as Angle suggested, the revo...I just don't have any experience with them.
It was a slow start in getting used to the PA14 (nutty winds since Hurricane Irma and aftermath, really rough seas), but I am now warming up to it as the winds are finally calming down enough to get some good days of fishing in. I will miss the Outback, wish I could keep them both!