Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help a Rookie Decide
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I'm a recent lurker as I've decided to get my first kayak. I'm looking to get a Pro. I like a good deal and I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger in on a particular outfit. I'm having a devil of a time finding comparable prices. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I've got a 2016 Pro Angler 12 lined up. It's been used around 10 times. In excellent shape. It comes with a $100 fish finder, the heavy duty cart, vantage seat, oar, a couple of tackle boxes, turbo fins. Im in Wyoming and can get it to my door for about $2500. What say you? Im 6'1" and 185 by the way as far as 12 vs 14 and young enough to load in the truck bed vs trailer if that helps. Thanks gentlemen.

Post subject: Re: Help a Rookie Decide
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would say thatt is about the going price. I paid the same for a 15 this spring and love it. I would pull the trigger if thats what your lookin for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That sounds like a good deal for that PA12. You won't find a lot of pre-owned Pro Anglers to do comparisons on because as a whole, there aren't that many on the market. Be it a Facebook forum, craigslist, etc. The prices can vary depending on what accessories the person added to it. Where the owner lives also affects the price and demand. A used PA that is taken care of will hold it's value well. The price always creeps up each year due to improvements. I have my 2013 PA14 on the market right now. Not in a hurry for it to sell, but I do have folks interested in it. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for advice. I have noticed prices in the south seem to be fairly low compared to those in the Rockies. I’m hoping to be in it by the weekend if all goes well!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Prices in south are less than mid-atlantic as well. I think mid-atlantic has bmore and better yak water than say Atlanta.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wasn't ready to buy last year when I was thinking I wanted a Hobie. Couldn't make up my mind what was the right color, price, Outback vs. PA, etc. etc.
Now that I've moved from CO to DE, I've had plenty of time to think. I'm going to pull the trigger on the best deal I can find on a Red or Yellow Outback in the next couple of weeks. I really don't care what it costs because I know I'm going to use the crap out of it and probably never sell it. When you are truly ready to buy, the decisions becomes so much easier to make! I could have bought a brand new 2016 OB for $1850 last year, but I wasn't ready. Now I'll have to pay $2650 for a 2017/2018 and I really don't mind. If I sold it 5 years from now, I would probably lose maybe $800. That's about $3 a week. I live next to unlimited inshore and offshore coastline, so 2-3 trips a week would be easy for me. That's about $1 a trip! My point is only you will know what price is right and the more you have to think about it, the less likely it is your actually ready to buy!