Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

any body has tried to adapt the 503 s pylon to a evolve kit ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The motor of the 503 may not fit thru the mirage opening.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

right ,i found that out after i posted this ...any othe rway to adapt it to a outback that you can think of?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the outback you have the issue of motor balance if you mount a 30lb (weight) motor like the 503 on one side of the boat the kayak will flip. I have seen some kayak trolling motor mounts from places like Islandhopper that have a. Counterweight on the otherside of the boat. Then you can mount the 503 as if it was a transom mount. However putting an $1800 dollar larger than needed motor on an outback is likely massive overkill. Chances are a 24-30# torque $150 dollar trolling motor like a Watersnake or something similar should propel the outback just fine. Plus if you want to get fancy you can mount the watersnake in the mirage slot (many have done it on this forum, just use the search function on the forum). You can always add a cheap PWM controller and lightweight lithium battery with the money you saved.

Now it's a totally different story if you already have the 503 sitting around. You might be able to build a swing down bracket that puts the motor behind the rudder on the centerline of the boat, but I have no idea if steering would still work, and trying to work around the twist and stow rudder would be a nightmare.
Or maybe adapt the 403 swing down ball mount system to fit a 503 motor head, (probably where I would start).
There are several really knowledgable Torqeedo users on the forum that might be able to chime in.
Hope this helps
Good luck
FE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the 403 so I don't know how much thicker the 503 shaft is compared the 403. But I used Tom Kirkman's brilliant and simple motor mount design. Basically you can strip away all the heavy mounting ball, shaft connectors, etc and just use the motor and shaft like a normal electric motor (ie the water snake et al).

Can easily lift the motor out of the way one handed when beaching and take the motor out when car topping. Don't have to worry about the extra stress of the Torqeedo motor mounts on my kayak when it is bouncing along the road. And bonus NO additional holes in your kayak!

Only tricky part was finding the 'conduit hangers'. None of our local hardware stores stock them. But I did a search for 'conduit hangers' on Amazon (1" I think for the 403 ... you'll have to measure the circumference for the 503 shaft for your size) and it worked a treat.

Thanks again Tom!!!