Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone. I'm a new Hobie PA12 owner, just learning inshore fishing and loving the yak.

The only complaint I have on design is the cart use... having to 'turtle' the yak on the boat ramp to get the cart into the scuppers is as frustrating as getting skunked. I've got the muscle, its just clumsy and awkward.

It seems that there should be a pair of 'false' scuppers at the far rear of the yak just to function as a cart mount. It could also be used to keep them far back and out of the way, but more secure than just dropping them in through the handle. How has this design failed to be improved over years of PA sales?

I've looked and looked, but haven't seen many mods to the handle or stern to do this. One guy on youtube fashioned a piece of wood and glued/drilled that into the plastic on the stern and then also had to form braces from aluminum... it was functional, but a bit hokey. Another guy used a PVC 'jack' to prop up the yak so he didn't have to turtle it. This is close, but fails the 'pick up with one hand and place the cart in the holes with the other hand while keeping the yak upright' ideal I'm shooting for.

I've been thinking that if one could remove the rear handle, a piece of thick metal stock could be mounted between the kayak body and the handle. Longer Hex screws could hold it in place and onto this could be mounted some vertical tubes as 'false scuppers' so that the cart can be used by simply lifting the back of the yak and sliding it in place.

I know the pro angler shouldn't be suspended and stored by the lift handles, and I wouldn't, but just to get the 100 yards from the ramp to the truck, I think it would be ok... it is a 'carry handle' after all... does anyone think this is folly?

Has anyone tried this or anything similar (mounting tubes to the rear handle itself is another option I was thinking of)... successes? failures?

Hobie, if you're listening... put some 'false scuppers' at the very rear so that we don't have to constantly roll our kayaks over or have a friend near by.

Thanks for any input y'all,

E

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also disliked laying it over to place the cart under. I went with the boonedox landing gear on my 12ft. pro angler and it is awesome. I roll the hobie right into the water and simply flip up the wheels which stay above water until I am ready to take out. Then I flip them again and roll the boat out and walk it to my truck. The landing gear is well made and makes the whole process much better than dealing with a scupper cart.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too heavy and would put to much strain on the hull. Fully loaded yaks can be very heavy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you don't like tipping the kayak on it's side to plug in a cart, the Hobie Dolly would be a good option for you. It's available with an "all terrain" style tire or beach wheels (best for soft surfaces or sand):

HOBIE DOLLY, PA-UNI BEACH-TIRE
US$ 499.00

HOBIE DOLLY, PA-UNI TUFF-TIRE
US$ 369.00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies...

1) Boonedox. I've seen these, and the functionality is good. I worry more about hull here, however, than with a modded handle. seems like all the weight is spread over 2 plates going through a singly ply of plastic. Also the cost... I didn't purchase the cart it as I bought my yak used, but the previous owner bought the Hobie HD cart and I absorbed some of that in the resale cost. I'd like to use it, I just wish the design for its use was better.

2) Hull strength. I think Hobie could easily engineer 'false' scuppers aft of the rudder adjustment and reinforce them (just as they did farther up the hull) to take the weight of the yak on the cart. They're innovative in mirage drive and mirage drive 180... how about really getting this 'problem' solved... many seem to complain, but the only fix are aftermarket? Seems like a no brainer.

3) The Hobie cradle cart... H to the E double hockey sticks no would I spend >20% of what I spent on the yak only to have to strap that monster on the back and haul it back and forth between the truck... No offense... It IS an option.. and it does avoid flipping... but for that coin, I'll turtle till I rub a hole in the side.

4) I saw on the texas board, someone who did an outboard and 2 power poles on the back of a 17T, they used the rear handle holes and mounted plate that had a 90 and tapered back to also mount in the rudder adjustment plate. Bolt on, bolt off... surely if it could hold a 20HP, it could support 100 yards of carry... I'll try to find a way to post pics... Might have to get this plate fabbed.

Any other options? Keep em coming...

E-Dubs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So this is an inspiration... thinking that the vertical motor mount (motor not in these images) plate could be used to mount some pipes that could allow the cart to just flip from top to bottom without turtling. Again, my thought is that if this handle mount is strong enough for an outboard and 2 power poles... it will likely hold a cart...

I thought it was going all the way up to the rudder control hatch, but apparently there is some though hardware... I don't like that... anyone seen this/tried it, etc. for the cart?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I pull one of my beach wheels off the (motor side) axle when I carry them to allow full motion of the motor. When ready to land, I insert the cart into the scupper holes (without tilting my TI) and then attach the remaining wheel to the axle. A short cord loop on the cotter pin helps me keep from dropping it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a clever idea that was shared here a while ago. Simple, no mods required. https://youtu.be/B56kRSx3zG4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim_MI wrote:
Here is a clever idea that was shared here a while ago. Simple, no mods required. https://youtu.be/B56kRSx3zG4

i've done that, works a treat, especially if height of posts are cut down to minimum possible for your hull.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

E-Dub wrote:

2) Hull strength. I think Hobie could easily engineer 'false' scuppers aft of the rudder adjustment and reinforce them (just as they did farther up the hull) to take the weight of the yak on the cart. They're innovative in mirage drive and mirage drive 180... how about really getting this 'problem' solved... many seem to complain, but the only fix are aftermarket? Seems like a no brainer.

A fully loaded kayak weighs a lot. pivoting all the weight on one end is going to put sorts of bending stress on the hull , probably negating waranty, and would be a (censored) to haul very far, especially through sand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a trailer for my PA14 now, but for years I just launched and retrieved using a Hobie beach cart. My launch and retrieval routines was to wade out until the stern was in about knee-deep water. At that depth, the cart could be pulled out or inserted into the rear scupper holes without any difficulty, while the yak and contents remained level. No real need to attach or detach the cart on shore, so no need to roll your yak up on its side.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I built a hand trailer using two eight foot lengths of 1" sq aluminum tubing. Makes it easy to drag my PA12 to the ramp and retrieve. No more flipping for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Would the use of h rail universal mounting plates be an option? Perhaps add 2 plates to which unistrut could be connected and then run a threaded rod through the unistrut to create a cart axle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How about a contraption (forked stand) that you can lift the stern and rest the big stern handle on it until you fish the scupper cart into the holes? Then remove the joists and wheel it away...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:02 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

E-Dub wrote:
...having to 'turtle' the yak on the boat ramp to get the cart into the scuppers is as frustrating as getting skunked. I've got the muscle, its just clumsy and awkward.
There is no need to flip your boat in order to install the wheels. Simply lift one side and brace it against your thigh while you insert the cart:

Different cart, different boat, same procedure:

It just takes a little practice. If you have high flotation wheels it might be easier to pop the far wheel off while inserting and install it after the cart is in place as Bob mentioned. It works well on the PA -- just remember to secure your gear before you tilt the boat!
Quote:
It seems that there should be a pair of 'false' scuppers at the far rear of the yak just to function as a cart mount. It could also be used to keep them far back and out of the way, but more secure than just dropping them in through the handle. How has this design failed to be improved over years of PA sales?
There are 3 great places to store your cart on the boat.
1. cargo well:

2. on the foredeck:

3. in the front hatch:

If all these spaces are committed, you might try sliding the cart legs under the rear cargo bungees and let the wheels rest on the stern. There's always a way. 8)