Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From Bass Boat to PA 14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After years of fishing and fishing bass tournaments from a boat I started getting frustrated more so with tournaments , Then a couple of months ago I tried a pa 14 and that change everything for me. I put my boat up for sale and will be purchasing my first pa 14, I Can't wait to fish in it and meet other Kayak owners and in time maybe join a club in fish some tournaments. It's going to be learning curve for me but look forward to it. My ? is how common is it that anglers make the transition from boat to kayak . Thank you and look forward to chatting and learning from you all.....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's very similar, except you stop running all over the lake thinking that the fish two miles away are doing something the ones 1/4 mile away, aren't. You'll begin fishing more and speeding around on the lake, less. You'll pay closer attention to what you're doing. You'll eventually catch more fish and have more fun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
It's very similar, except you stop running all over the lake thinking that the fish two miles away are doing something the ones 1/4 mile away, aren't. You'll begin fishing more and speeding around on the lake, less. You'll pay closer attention to what you're doing. You'll eventually catch more fish and have more fun.

Thank you makes sense to me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a little 08 Tracker 170 Revolution. Used it for 6 years...purchased a PA 14 and haven't used the boat for over two years now. Its just a better fishing experience all around. Of course having a 403 and never having to paddle adds to that experience tremendously. I don't care much for paddling....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yak9107 wrote:
I have a little 08 Tracker 170 Revolution. Used it for 6 years...purchased a PA 14 and haven't used the boat for over two years now. Its just a better fishing experience all around. Of course having a 403 and never having to paddle adds to that experience tremendously. I don't care much for paddling....

I agree that is why i never tried kayaking , I wish it was April not November just so excited to start a whole new way of fishing... Thank you for the reply

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fished out of a high end bass boat for several decades. Moved to south Georgia and wasn't getting out as much as I wanted to due to most fishing lakes being private, long distance, and not being able to use my gas motor in the subdivision 225 acre lake. A friend suggested looking into a Hobie. Sold the bass boat and bought a 2012 Revo 11 for the wife and a 2012 PA14 for me. Have never looked back.

It's a totally different experience in the kayak. You are closer to the water. You notice things you never saw from the bass boat. You fish areas you never would have gotten into with the big boat. I can say without a doubt that I have had more enjoyment fishing out of the PA in almost 5 years than I had with the bass boat. Yes it's fun to race across the water in the gas boat. But that's what you're doing and not fishing or enjoying the environment.

Just purchased a 2018 Compass to add to my PA14. Was out yesterday in the Gulf with 3 other friend (all in Hobies). 1 red, 2 black sea bass and 20 trout. My therapy every weekend! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
Fished out of a high end bass boat for several decades. Moved to south Georgia and wasn't getting out as much as I wanted to due to most fishing lakes being private, long distance, and not being able to use my gas motor in the subdivision 225 acre lake. A friend suggested looking into a Hobie. Sold the bass boat and bought a 2012 Revo 11 for the wife and a 2012 PA14 for me. Have never looked back.

It's a totally different experience in the kayak. You are closer to the water. You notice things you never saw from the bass boat. You fish areas you never would have gotten into with the big boat. I can say without a doubt that I have had more enjoyment fishing out of the PA in almost 5 years than I had with the bass boat. Yes it's fun to race across the water in the gas boat. But that's what you're doing and not fishing or enjoying the environment.

Just purchased a 2018 Compass to add to my PA14. Was out yesterday in the Gulf with 3 other friend (all in Hobies). 1 red, 2 black sea bass and 20 trout. My therapy every weekend! :D

Thanks for the reply, and thank you for your service I live in NH lucky for me I have both large and small lakes and great views, Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:

Thanks for the reply, and thank you for your service I live in NH lucky for me I have both large and small lakes and great views, Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree and disagree with some of the statements said here.

I can't speak for a Bass boat but I have a 27' Grady White and it is a totally different type of fishing than why I bought the Hobie. I will never give up that boat because it is for a different type of fishing so I won't compare.

However after purchasing my used PA14 about a month ago I almost wish I now bought a 14' skiff instead. The Grady is too big (deep draft) in a lot of the spots when I want to fish inside the inlet (fish bite or weather driven) so the Hobie gets me to all of the places I want to go.
I say now I think of getting a skiff instead of the Hobie because if the fish are not biting in a spot and I want to quickly move to a known spot (structure, lights, etc...) I can't just do that in the Hobie. Also the Hobie is much less visible to others which concerns me greatly. I do have a flag and a 360 light (as required) but with the traffic and type of boaters where I am I think about safety constantly.
Side note:
I also see some guys paddle out to the shipping channel bridge tunnel islands in kayaks out in the bay when I am out in the Grady that I think are stupid because of how dangerous that could be. The get a false sense of security paddling out by the bridge pylons thinking if something happens they are close to structure. When if something happened they would be miles off the beach.

I do really enjoy the Hobie but it comes with some disadvantages.
1. It is not as stale to stand up and fish. This coming from someone who still puts surfing over fishing any day, so I would say my balance is better than average. (As an example last night fishing in the inlet I would not have risked it, even with the water like a sheet of glass, because there was little to no-one on the water for help and with the water temp so low hypothermia would be quick.) I do carry a EPIRB and radio too but I don't want to risk it.
2. Not being able to stand makes casting different/difficult. I can't walk the dog as well as standing up for sure.
3. I also like to fish with other people and I can do that on a skiff.
4. I have to wear a more water resistant gear, like when launching and if using the paddle or just to protect from splash in general when the water temp drops, than on a skiff
5. Moving around on the kayak is certainly more difficult than on a skiff. Trying to scoop a fish from the live well on the Hobie is a pain.
6. Storage. I keep the Hobie in the garage because it could more easily "walk away". With a skiff on a trailer I would get that space back by keeping it outside. A trailer is more of a deterrent in my opinion.

But the pros list is good too.
1. I don't need to maintain a 3rd motor (B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand)
2. It is super stealth ( most night time inlet spots require this)
3. It's super easy to put it in the truck bed and go or even drive to a different inlet if I want to fish somewhere else.
4. More Launch options. My city/area has quite a few kayak only launches plus all the boat ramps and there are a ton of neighborhood or "unmarked" launch sites too.
5. No license or state/city stickers. Just like my beach catamaran nothing is needed except safety items.
6. I can launch and be underway in less than 5 mins depending on the launch site. (same with landing and leaving)
7. It is a more connected feeling of fishing. As a life long surfer being in the water with no engine and picking up on all the subtleties is a special thing The kayak adds to that very well and is one of the main reasons I bought my beach catamaran as well. This is maybe the biggest reason I will likely keep the kayak.

Overall I am very happy with the Hobie and I am getting used to it very quick. I will likely end up keeping it as my inlet setup.

Maybe I can get one of my siblings to get a skiff. :D