Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st accessory for my 14?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased my Mirage Pa yesterday. I fish the gulf of mexico around Tampa Fla and also local bass lakes. My question: What would be the most important accessory most of you have or wish you had for your PA ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A life jacket.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Assuming you have all of the normal safety equipment staring with a PFD, first aid kit, anchor, safety flag, hand bilge pump, etc, etc.
Then for my first accessory, it would be a fish finder/GPS combo and good 12 volt battery, for fishing in the ocean a portable marine radio, flare gun, landing net.
Since I live in the PNW, I also have a good "dry suit" for the cold water, rain, snow and decent undergarments that wick moisture.

I too have a PA-14, so my Hobie Trailex trailer makes storage and transport a snap.

Good luck with your new PA 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your response. That's a lot of equipment!! I live in Florida so the dry suit I can omit. I'm thinking the fish finder might be my first choice ,followed by bow light.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brewski,

Congrats on the PA! :wink: I fish the Gulf as well in a PA14 and a Compass. I agree with the FF/GPS as one of the first items to consider. While you live in a area with a lot of buildings/landmarks to navigate with, having a FF/GPS helps in several ways. You can mark good fishing spots, find your way back to your launch (even at night) and use the sonar for studying what's underneath you if the water is too deep to tell or not clear enough. I recently picked up a Lowrance Elite 5ti (touchscreen) color FF/GPS for my Compass. It was a refurbished unit with full warranty for under $270 delivered. Lowrance offers them as well on their website for under $300 with full warranty. New they run around $450. The refurbished units, parts, etc all look brand new. Great unit!

You have a great saltwater fishery in your area. if you have never kayak fished there before Derik Burgos of Phatfish Kayak Charters might be a good option to try.

A Power-Pole Micro Anchor would be my next recommendation. They aren't cheap, but are fantastic for anchoring in water under 6 feet deep without having to hang an anchor over the side or use a stake out pole. Just the touch of a button and you are anchored. :D

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve, I've fished this area for 13 years in my Trident and then my big game kayak. It is a pretty good fishery except it gets hammered by all the flats guides and yahoo's.
I'm thinking about the gps, but not the power pole so much. Too much weight added to an already heavy kayak. I have a throw anchor and scupper pole.
I am however looking forward to going down to Everglades city area and fish the glades.
Thanks for the info.
Steve